eFootball PES 2020 Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox One)

Just like Backstreet, I am back. Obviously I hated PES20 and gave up about 3 weeks after release, (well I say gave up, I had another try when lockdown happened and couldn’t last 5 minutes - story of my life)

So what have I missed, a million great faces and magic boots I hope. I notice there’s still a slight tinge of hatred towards the latest release so I assume there’s been no monster patch

Has there been any definitive news on PES21? I tinned off Twitter so I’m not up on the news. If it’s a gap year I won’t be super upset (do the kids still use ‘super’ as a cool term?), though I will miss the hype train. It’s amazing, the old faces reappear... then some get re-banned, we get the slogans, pitches being ours, kings being back, that Lygaard chap boasting about Piemonte Calcio despite not having multiple licenses in his game, best game ever reviews. Oh I will miss it all.

Serious point though, a year off in theory could mean 2 years of work to fix issues and produce a great game (it won’t, but the theory is there). But my concern is this; I am now a PES purchaser out of habit, which is sad really. I don’t enjoy it but keep buying annually blinded by some false hope that they might accidentally not feck it all up again. A two year wait breaks that cycle for me, it could potentially break my habit. Anyone else in a similar situation? I want to believe in sunshine, unicorns, free vegemite sandwiches and a great PES that I’ll spend two years looking forward to, but I fear I’ll just forget about it then years later think ”oh yeah... I remember PES”

I wish i could, but no, i do not work for Konami.
OK. JFYI I ve seen various charts about sales. What you described as closing the gap is something like PES went from 1,5M copies to 1,6M and FIFA fall from 20M to 16M. (numbers are not accurate).
So in first part yes the gap closed a little but it is still extra-dimensional.

Also I saw somewhere in the net a new revenue of microtransactions abouts the last years and I think it was 2 billion, so I assume EA will have ten more times also revenue from their microtrans purchases.

Basically the revenue is both from PES and Yugioh the two läst only games Konami produces.

Also there is no need to be upset about KONAMI VS EA contrast, as the difference is abysmall. There is no competition here.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ga...njoys-fifth-consecutive-year-of-profit-growth

Last edited:
Someone linked to this article a few days ago in another thread and it contains the following:

"PES 2009 sold 6.9m copies compared to Fifa 09’s 8.7m.
Six years later that fissure had become a gulf: 1.7m sales for PES 2015, versus Fifa 15’s 18m .
Worldwide sales of 550,000 for PES 2019 – compared to Fifa 19’s 12.2m"

Not sure about the accuracy of the data, and it doesn't include 2020.

Someone linked to this article a few days ago in another thread and it contains the following:

"PES 2009 sold 6.9m copies compared to Fifa 09’s 8.7m.
Six years later that fissure had become a gulf: 1.7m sales for PES 2015, versus Fifa 15’s 18m .
Worldwide sales of 550,000 for PES 2019 – compared to Fifa 19’s 12.2m"

Not sure about the accuracy of the data, and it doesn't include 2020.

[Sales] 600,000 copies of # PES2020 have been sold in the past 3 months, 200,000 more than last year at the same time. In fiscal year 19-20 (from May 2019 to May 2020), the #PES series sold 3 million copies.

"FIFA is one of the biggest and most engaging entertainment franchises in the world. With approximately 100 million players engaging globally in our FIFA franchise, more than 25 million unique players have joined FIFA 20 so far with VOLTA opening up an entirely new dimension of the game and FIFA Ultimate Team continue to grow as the most popular mode. FIFA Online in Asia also continues its momentum, significantly outperforming our expectations."

Link: https://s22.q4cdn.com/894350492/files/doc_financials/2020/q4/EA-Transcript.pdf

Last edited:
Like Cruyff used to say "Why couldn't you beat EA? I've never seen a bag of money build a videogame".

In all seriousness, the future is looking pretty grim. Konami just doesnt seem to have any clue strategy-wise. Despite low sales compared to FIFA, they still have one of the top selling games in the world so you should consider them capable of producing an AA or AAA game but yet there are indie games that offer a more complete and better produced package then they do.

The only explanation i can think of, is that there is an inner war in the company between developers and management and the senior developers that stayed on the ship are very demotivated. Our only hope is that they finally jump the ship of mediocricy and build their own company and start a kickstarter. Things like that happened before but in this case chances are very slim, as it would be a very un-japanese move.

Seabass, if you are reading this: go for it, release your inner Adriano! We got your back.

Oh a man can dream.

:ZZZ:

rts about sales. What you described as closing the gap is something like PES went from 1,5M copies to 1,6M and FIFA fall from 20M to 16M. (numbers are not accurate).

Also I saw somewhere in the net a new revenue of microtransactions abouts the last years and I think it was 2 billion, so I assume EA will have ten more times also revenue from their microtrans purchases.

Basically the revenue is both from PES and Yugioh the two läst only games Konami produces.

Also there is mno need to be ups
Interesting, but still, th
OK. JFYI I ve seen various charts about sales. What you described as closing the gap is something like PES went from 1,5M copies to 1,6M and FIFA fall from 20M to 16M. (numbers are not accurate).

Also there is no need to be upset about KONAMI VS EA contrast, as the difference is abysmall. There is no competition here.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ga...njoys-fifth-consecutive-year-of-profit-growth
I wouldn't say abysmal, I tend to judge games based on their content rather than the amount of sales, Yes EA sell a bit more than Konami but PES has won more hearts, that matters more above anything imo

Just like Backstreet, I am back. Obviously I hated PES20 and gave up about 3 weeks after release, (well I say gave up, I had another try when lockdown happened and couldn’t last 5 minutes - story of my life)

So what have I missed, a million great faces and magic boots I hope. I notice there’s still a slight tinge of hatred towards the latest release so I assume there’s been no monster patch

Has there been any definitive news on PES21? I tinned off Twitter so I’m not up on the news. If it’s a gap year I won’t be super upset (do the kids still use ‘super’ as a cool term?), though I will miss the hype train. It’s amazing, the old faces reappear... then some get re-banned, we get the slogans, pitches being ours, kings being back, that Lygaard chap boasting about Piemonte Calcio despite not having multiple licenses in his game, best game ever reviews. Oh I will miss it all.

Serious point though, a year off in theory could mean 2 years of work to fix issues and produce a great game (it won’t, but the theory is there). But my concern is this; I am now a PES purchaser out of habit, which is sad really. I don’t enjoy it but keep buying annually blinded by some false hope that they might accidentally not feck it all up again. A two year wait breaks that cycle for me, it could potentially break my habit. Anyone else in a similar situation? I want to believe in sunshine, unicorns, free vegemite sandwiches and a great PES that I’ll spend two years looking forward to, but I fear I’ll just forget about it then years later think ”oh yeah... I remember PES”

It's an interesting proposition. Much like real football in lockdown for me. Having been robbed of it for so long I think I'm clean, it's out my system, the spell has been broken. I've mentioned in the retro thread that - also like real football - there's enough classic content in the football gaming archives to make the annual, soulless, tattooed, new boots, facefest almost redundant.

Interesting, but still, th

I wouldn't say abysmal, I tend to judge games based on their content rather than the amount of sales, Yes EA sell a bit more than Konami but PES has won more hearts, that matters more above anything imo
Yes me too. Maybe much more than you. I judge games purely on quality.

BUT if I recall correct, these were your words. Wasn't me who mentioned sales here.
To be fair, Konami sales have really increased, we getting closer to EA every pes

Last edited:

Breaking the habit is probably the best thing that could happen to you. I've managed that with FIFA, although the fact I still buy PES mitigates any withdrawl symptoms that a lack of computer football may bring. The real test will be to go without any new football game for a year but this will be made easier thesedays because an increasing number of us are spending more time playing older versions of PES than the latest version.

Realistically, the only real prospect of a major step forward in this game will be at the time the next generation of consoles is released, or when they switch to a new engine....chances are, both would simply bring better gfx but not much else. If the gameplay still feels pretty much the same at that point, then chances are it'll be another 5+ years of them just tinkering with the same old gameplay ported from the previous versions, with some new editions being marginally preferable to others, but no real sense of continual progression and genuine improvement each year, let alone a breakthrough into a new generation of computerised football.

KONAMI logic at its best. You had issues with your ML and BAL cause of an update? TAKE a LEGEND for MyClub!!!!!!
The case that you are playing ML/BAL and not MC is totally IRELLEVANT!!!! What can i say here, except for LOL????
p9e1zgs1d7951.jpg

https://www.konami.com/wepes/2020/eu/en/ps4/topic/game-wepes2020-22078

The only thing that could invigorate football games is if all exclusive licencing deals were removed, and anyone who wanted could make a fully licenced game - they would have to pay a fee of course, maybe even a hefty one, but it would never be exclusive - there would suddenly be a lot more football games and Konami and EA would finally have to actually try to develop something new just to keep up, instead of the recycling that goes on now.

As I'm not playing the game anymore, I figured I'd leave you all with a positive clip. But before that I've a few more bits of bad I'd like to share lol (tbf I've got a lot more than a bit but why bother with all of that at this point).

I193FA2.jpg

Here I am against Mexico (I look really nice in that USA shirt btw). As you can see 3 Mexican players are watching me as a I shoot and score. Ironically, it was the player farthest away from me, number 13, who did try to close me down. Number 7, 15, and 22 just stood there like fans with the best seats in the house. This picture says so much about how defending just doesn't work in this game.

If you recall, I mentioned my last game was a chaotic mess against Liverpool. If you also recall, I have mentioned a few times that I absolutely detest derby matches in PES. I figured I would share a bit from this match.

This right here encapsulates the entire match perfectly; Liverpool lacking any defensive integrity whatsoever, Alisson racing off his line and then being taken out by Martial, and Greenwood scoring because no foul is called. The goal, like the entire match, was a mess.

Speaking of no defensive integrity;

po1jJoU.jpg

Look at the state of my CB pairing. The Red (Devil) Sea parted almost as if by Moses himself. The lad up the middle went and scored. I don't know his name because why the hell would I bother remembering a Liverpool player's name. It was their 4th.

Their 4th goal on their 4th shot.
MeLeuvn.jpg

We all know this frustration. At this point I got up, took the disc out of my console, and put it back on the shelf. I didn't yell or anything. I'd simply had enough. I tried very hard for months to get consistent enjoyment out of this game. But even my military grade patience will run out eventually and it did.

Oh right I said I was going to end on a positive note lol

It what was a completely chaotic disaster of a match, there were a few moments I did find neat. Like this one;

Nice double save here by Alisson. I enjoyed this moment so much I actually stood up. Imagine me celebrating a Liverpool player doing something good I actually feel sick thinking about it again.

I could nitpick this video to death (like how VVD initially engages me then just wanders off, or how the right back decides the absolute best thing he can do is head the ball back into the center of the box, or how the ball bounces on top of the crowd like there's some netting, when there isn't any there, which just makes the crowd look painted on). But instead I'll just appreciate what looked like 2 good saves from a keeper in a match that begged for good moments.

I wanna say it's been fun lads, but overall it honestly hasn't. I'd rather they remove the BAL style experience entirely than leave it in its current state.

they also lost ac milan
As far as I know Inter/Milan were the most used license in footy games, so I assume it affects only the special partnership not the team, logo/kit likeness.
Also I assume San Siro/Meazza Wil just count as one stadium instead of two, from now on... :D :P

Licenses are not important to us, but they attract more casual customers and that's always good because they let Konami have more money to develop the game.

This is still a negative for us Pes fans hoping for more budget allocated to Pes and more excuses for people saying that "Konami is poor, be grateful that you have an alternative to Fifa"

Sorry, but i'm not grateful, because Konami could do so much better than this.

I see some people on twitter saying that this means Inter and Milan won't have an exclusive license but will still be licensed because Italian Serie A works that way. Well, that's not true, remember Juventus being unlicensed. It's very probable that Milan and Inter will be exclusive to Fifa now.

Last edited:
Nooo way, so San siro and Giuseppe Meazza will not be in pes 2022/21? This surely means we have something special in the offering to make up for it

What I find weird is how they have to make an announcement, to announce that this license won't be in the next game.

It doesn't affect the current game, so why announce now, that something is going to be missing going forward?

Is it a legal requirement? Or is it a plea for understanding?
I think it is more a 'fodder' to 'feed' the news'feed', which is until now pretty dead, reagarding 2021. A try to shake the waters a little bit i think, cause there is a lot of silence till now.

It is like the news on TV, when there is not anything notable, and show filler reportage like, "In news of the day, let's see now this old lady that lives with her 9 cats and her 5 dogs."

Last edited:
What I find weird is how they have to make an announcement, to announce that this license won't be in the next game.

It doesn't affect the current game, so why announce now, that something is going to be missing going forward?

It's not that weird, i've seen this with liverpool last year.

https://www.konami.com/wepes/2019/eu/en/page/lfc_information

what's more shocking was when it's with dortmund because they already promoted it

https://www.konami.com/wepes/2019/eu/en/page/bvb

Anyone think we’ll get announcement regarding PES 2021 on the day of the 25th anniversary, which is exactly 2 weeks away.?

I also don't understand. Why post bad news? Are they going to publish obits for all/any lost licences? And you'd think that - were it a legal requirement - they'd point the finger at that reason to mitigate the loss.

The more logical approach would be to just not say anything as they promote PES 2021/2020.9.1. Instead wow us with the chance to be Pavel Nedved as a manager in Master League. (I just hope they get his walking style right.)

This news really shook me, EA are not playing about, what a scum of a company man, I dont think Konami will take this lying down though, big things incoming imo
still being a realistic optimist... what can go wrong from here!? it can only get better, imo! :)

and deep deep down... from my guts (brain wasnt involved to much): there will be a pleasent surprise for us... soon... on next gen! ;) mark my words! :D

Back
Top Bottom