eFootball PES 2021 Discussion Thread (CONSOLES)

Suddenly the shoot button becomes a pass!

In the melee of the penalty box when it's crowded and your player picks up the ball, press shoot and instead the player passes to some random guy and you don't get your shot.

Sometimes it works to your advantage but it's a crucial change and very annoying when you want a blast at goal and a pass is made instead.

Player switching is even worse I feel, I'm pressing L1 like mad all through the match and its's a very hit and miss switch.

AI seems to like attacking a bit more, played about 5 games and lost 3 by 1-0 in the 89th minute with an unstoppable shot. Nice to see some long distance shooting too from the AI though, a big change there.

AI possession is like 65 - 75% even for wee diddy teams, something wrong there too.

As usual no ref updates, no penalties, rare that you get a free kick, but loads of stupid and non-fouls in the centre circle with 3 pointless replays from various angles just to add to the frustration.

I wonder why I don't play this game every day, after 3 or 4 games of stop-start and massive AI cheating and no ref decisions going your way, who needs it?!

Sigh! :((

How's game after this last patch? I've found one copy for just 10 euros, I think I'll give it a try.

Absolutely awful

Fouls disappeared
Superman Gks
AI still passes to striker on the edge of the box to turn and shoot and scores every shot
Players running away from the ball and the usual freezing
Stun/Sumbling animation with no context
Overpowered shielding which doesnt make sense
Scripting and cheating rampant online

So sad

Absolutely awful

Fouls disappeared
Superman Gks
AI still passes to striker on the edge of the box to turn and shoot and scores every shot

So sad
Still better than Fortnite 21... sorry, I mean FIFA 21!

Absolutely awful

Fouls disappeared
Superman Gks

So sad
I got 3 fouls in my first game with 10mins on clock ..not had chance to play anymore

When you guys talk about scripting, what online mode and settings do you refer to? This game has it flaws, no doubt about that and I want to break my controller a couple of times every time I play it but I can't say I feel that stuff that some people talk about were the scripting kicks in and you can't do a thing right. I play Divisions and PA0 vs PA0 btw. Maybe I'm stupid and can't see it. :)

Absolutely awful

Fouls disappeared
Superman Gks

So sad
The bolded got worse under this patch. Instead of just edge of box, now they loop them in from 25 yards away. Got burned in two games last night. I used to be able to move CBs or a deep DM to cover the space at the top of the box but now they fling them in from further.

Also, Shola forever

One of items mentioned in the DP3 is that there is "New/updated commentary data". Well, I noticed this addition in my ML with Newcastle United. I had a player called J. Foyth, who I bought from Villarreal, and the commentator said "Foyth, some of you may know him from the Spanish League". Thought it was a neat little commentary there.

p.s. - if this isn't new and it was already in the game (haven't heard it before), please let me know.

I was terrified of updating because I thought for sure Konami would break the game after finally having delivered a great game with the previous patch. Didn't notice any substantial changes to be honest. Game still plays really well, really smoothly since patch 1.4 or whatever. Game could still be much better, but given what else is out there, game is pretty solid right now.

I was terrified of updating because I thought for sure Konami would break the game after finally having delivered a great game with the previous patch. Didn't notice any substantial changes to be honest. Game still plays really well, really smoothly since patch 1.4 or whatever. Game could still be much better, but given what else is out there, game is pretty solid right now.
I updated with no time wasted.
they have nothing to loose atm. All updates since a couple of month delivered. What I mean by livered is, they don’t make the game worse. There is so small optimization with every update the last couple of weeks/months it’s unheard of and a pleasure for every PES fan.

I know there is a lot of stuff missing but for what it is PES2021 plays best in this generation. different to PES2017 (which is still great to play!!! ) but on another level quite enjoying. Both games are separated gameplay wise a lot!

I can only repeat myself: put the best of both worlds (peeking over the fence ) together and you have a winner!

HI!! Pes 2021 is not a good game.. :( I play ML and scripting, foul system and referee are AWFUL.. Those kill that game. If you play Pes 2020 ML so don't buy Season update 2021. I am speaking.. :)
It is really sad how handicapping and cheating is the AI on superstar level, at least for the last 4 editions, 2018/2019/2020/2021. (i completelly ignore Legend which is a bonus level)
I can't stand that a 2020 game, has so cheaty and full of shortcoming AI. It really goes me back to my childhood age and on Super Soccer on SNES, where after the Final, the referree used to steal the trophy from you and then have you play against Team Nintendo, a team full of referees and Ultra Cheating.
Imagine how angry i am at modern games, since i was angry back in my 10yo self about such cheaty situations. And at least the SNES game, was just a bonus game , that would cheat on you, full power.
Basically lately, I CAN stand what the AI does that you can't do, but I CANNOT stand what the AI does not let your player to do, neglecting totally, your player's stats.

Last edited:
After playing this game quite a bit without a single penalty, I got two in two matches back to back, I have barely been this surprised before in my life... No wonder they put out a new patch, probably to lessen the frequency of penalties!

It is really sad how handicapping and cheating is the AI on superstar level, at least for the last 4 editions, 2018/2019/2020/2021. (i completelly ignore Legend which is a bonus level)
I can't stand that a 2020 game, has so cheaty and full of shortcoming AI. It really goes me back to my childhood age and on Super Soccer on SNES, where after the Final, the referree used to steal the trophy from you and then have you play against Team Nintendo, a team full of referees and Ultra Cheating.
Imagine how angry i am at modern games, since i was angry back in my 10yo self about such cheaty situations. And at least the SNES game, was just a bonus game , that would cheat on you, full power.
Basically lately, I CAN stand what the AI does that you can't do, but I CANNOT stand what the AI does not let your player to do, neglecting totally, your player's stats.

Christ, they know what they're doing. It was not easy to beat the Nintendo team, let alone thrash them. And the final goal - headers were like gold dust in Super Soccer! Great memories.

If you don't dribble and just pingpong the ball around you get no fouls. I get frequent fouls per half. I understand some clear fouls are not called but I'd argue even in real football that always happens.

If you don't dribble and just pingpong the ball around you get no fouls. I get frequent fouls per half. I understand some clear fouls are not called but I'd argue even in real football that always happens.
People post about clear hits that are not given fouls, kicks, punches, elbows, bodycharges, etc.
They say "fouls are denied" , not "fouls are not given".
Or else I misread your post due to language barrier.

Last edited:
After playing this game quite a bit without a single penalty, I got two in two matches back to back, I have barely been this surprised before in my life... No wonder they put out a new patch, probably to lessen the frequency of penalties!

HAHA, read my post last week , I had the exact same thing happen to me. Haven't had another since though

I only play master league. But it definitly need changes. They need to sit down and from scratch make it new, to fix all the bugs.

First, the Whole experience feels empty. Someone said u feel ”alone” in the career. Exactly that! As coach, u should feel the players, the supporters, the media. Everything just feel empty.

I noticed strange things in transfers.

-if you cant get a player by buying him you can usually just loan him with an option to buy. And get him cheaper, while it should be more expensive or not even possible.

- SALARY CHEAT. Exempel. I bought Grealish with a salary of 5 000 000 pounds a year and with transfer clause. After a season i was worried some team would buy him out. So i tried offer him a new contract and take away his transfer clause. In his new contract i gave him 4 000 000 pounds a year with no transfer clause. I could do this with several players and get my salary funds up with about 6 000 000. Really bad programming.
There is sooo many terrible things due to bad programming.

This latest update is garbage, so many actual issues and they're messing about changing things that didn't need changing, classic Konami. The main issue for me personally is the superman keepers. They save way too many headers and long range shots even ones that look to be unstoppable. Sliders are a must in the next gen PES, I've seen people able to tone the keepers down on PC using mods etc but on console we're stuck with these ridiculous keepers until Konami change it (if they even do) due to lack of sliders.

I only play master league. But it definitly need changes. They need to sit down and from scratch make it new, to fix all the bugs.

First, the Whole experience feels empty. Someone said u feel ”alone” in the career. Exactly that! As coach, u should feel the players, the supporters, the media. Everything just feel empty.

I noticed strange things in transfers.

-if you cant get a player by buying him you can usually just loan him with an option to buy. And get him cheaper, while it should be more expensive or not even possible.

- SALARY CHEAT. Exempel. I bought Grealish with a salary of 5 000 000 pounds a year and with transfer clause. After a season i was worried some team would buy him out. So i tried offer him a new contract and take away his transfer clause. In his new contract i gave him 4 000 000 pounds a year with no transfer clause. I could do this with several players and get my salary funds up with about 6 000 000. Really bad programming.
There is sooo many terrible things due to bad programming.
Interesting this about salary.
The release clause, has become terrible gimmick. COM teams trigger the release clause, very, very, very rare and it just simply limits the offers you can receive, cause as it is reasonable of course offer you lower than the clause.
This results in players with longterm contracts, to have value of 15mil, but recieve offers of 1mil, cause that's how much the player was evaluated, the season you signed his contract.

It should be as I read it somewhere, reddit or here. When you sign a long term contract with a 19 yo player, you should be allow to set as high release fee as possible, IE, 15,20 or 50mil if he is a hot-prospect. So you can sell him either in maximum or in a value a little bit higher than his real value.

What has happened to my favourite game. PES 2021 with the latest update is full of matchplay glitches, freezing, stuttering graphics, ridiculous AI, strange gameplay mechanics...

I play Hibernian SPL Master League.

The ball in every 50/50 is going to the CPU after bouncing in totally inaccurate directions, most of the time as good as a through ball the way it falls to a CPU player going forward. The ball physics used to be my favourite part of the game but now it's baffling the way it moves and rebounds.

CPU GKs are pulling off ridiculous saves for even low rated teams and players. I had an easy header, placed it perfectly and the Motherwell GK slid across the line to make a goalline save faster than Usain Bolt.

The new Advanced Tactics are very glitchy. There is no point playing Anchoring as wingers coming inside centre seems to increase the amount of stuttering graphics and messes the ball physics even more, perhaps having more players so close to one another on-screen. I'm delighted to see more options, but not if they can't be implemented properly. YT playing 1080p on an old fashioned telephone line modem stutters less. So disappointed as I just bought a new 4k TV thinking I'd get a better playing experience. The only way the game flows is by going in to Blimp camera angle.

I've always got used to the CPU "cheating" but some teams are playing like Brazil on steroids they're that good in attack and in the tackle when they need to win. I had the CPU score a goal after Edouard beat 3 of my defenders all right next to each other all with the most outrageous of nutmegs due to my defenders legs all of a sudden purposely sticking their leg up in the air as they go to take the ball. I like that when you play a better team it's harder, it used to be a bit too easy to be Hibernian and thrash Spurs, but if the better team is going to win with outrageously lucky ball flicks and rebounds it's not as fun.

I've deliberately avoided the latest patch as the likelihood that Konami would screw up the balance again was too high.

But the LITE version has been released for PC today - PS4 version later this week - so I can use that as a guineapig to see if what they've done to the gameplay after each patch. Those who have avoided buying PES2021 on the basis of 2020s shortcomings will be able to try it for themselves. Personally, I think 21 (patch 2) is definitely an improvement over 20 but can still be hideously bad at times.

This latest update is garbage, so many actual issues and they're messing about changing things that didn't need changing, classic Konami. The main issue for me personally is the superman keepers. They save way too many headers and long range shots even ones that look to be unstoppable. Sliders are a must in the next gen PES, I've seen people able to tone the keepers down on PC using mods etc but on console we're stuck with these ridiculous keepers until Konami change it (if they even do) due to lack of sliders.
I can't see any superman keepers in my games. They realistically save outside of the box shots in a good ratio % vs total shots. I have scored some screamers with decent players (Maddison) but I don't expect a 50% success rate or even a 20% one. Check the real EPL stats in that department.
I understand that scoring long range screamers is fun but some of us want realistic stats. A slider ofc would be great to please both sides.

Back
Top Bottom