eFootball PES 2021 Discussion Thread (CONSOLES)

I purchased it. It is a little better. Seems more refined.

Rosters not up to date yet. Guess waiting for window to end? Live update only will add players once they make it man squad for competitive game so a week or so yet in prem and serie a

October 22nd is when the first data pack is scheduled and should update the unfinished leagues and update the squads with all the transfers, and add any missing players. Similar to last year, it's just a lot later this year due to the transfer window staying open longer.

Unbelievable. Season update.
Jupiler League this season has 18 teams instead of 16 last year.
What have Konami in the game? 16 teams.

season update, my ass...

I think Juliper league is one of the leagues that doesn't get properly updated until the first data pack on October 22nd

Edit: Ahh, just seen this was already answered for you. My bad.

Yes..and your probably see some gains from that extra overhead..Loading,less irregularities etc..
Thanks, Hopefully it won't make the console sound like an aeroplane taking off! I'm guessing I'll get the added benefit of PES in 4k as well right? I only have a base PS4 so looking forward to a graphical upgrade.

Do you or anyone know if the option files will be compatible on PS5 or is that still unknown territory?

Manual shooting griezmann..Superstar..Through the gap in legs of the defending player👌Notice how the balls slightly away from my feet before contact to create the energy.
Manual shooting..Superstar..Notice how the player that wins the first ball lays it off and then moves into the box to receive the cross..Also the right stick control of the player who makes the unassisted cross and how I create the smooth transition.I never lose the triangle!!!😉

Both goals were rewarding because placement and power was all my control..Plus timing and striking the ball at the right point on the bounce or bobble..

Last edited:
Has anyone figured out how to make a player go for a Knuckle Ball instead of a Dipping Shot if he has both (e.g. Bale)? He always seems to default to a dipping shot on free kicks.

Has anyone figured out how to make a player go for a Knuckle Ball instead of a Dipping Shot if he has both (e.g. Bale)? He always seems to default to a dipping shot on free kicks.

That specific free kick style + dipping shot on the card just always does the dipping shot free kick for me. No other fk style does it

Rashford, Ilicic, all same style

This is basically pro evolution 2020 “final evolution” like they had done for pes 6 when they released a more refined version called final evolution back on the ps2. Well done Konami, and thx for the transparency.

Is it just me or does the game not connect yet on PC? Keep having to choose my country when I load.
Personal opinion.. this game plays fantastic. Really liking it. But would be nice to be able to get up to date squads. Could it be something on my system impeding the internet connection? I went back to the default hosts file already, so that's not it.

PES 2021:
  • Master League
  • Aberdeen, default ML squad
  • Superstar
  • Five-minute matches
  • Default controls
Me:
  • No spring chicken
  • Seasoned PES player
  • Liked PES 2020 during some data packs
Some may scoff at five-minute matches but I've faced facts that unless I play at that duration I'll never make any progress in any ML because of real life commitments, and because I love playing older PESes and have MLs on the go in both WE7:I and PES 2013. As I've found, it's still enough time to lose 3-2.

Going by the above I'm certain it's not based on 2020 DP8, probably the most formulaic iteration of the game. There's space to be found behind the AI defence, the midfield is a little more engaged, and there's been far less of the long ball into the striker's feet, buns of steel on the swivel, curl into the bottom corner.

In brief, moments of joy outweigh moments of absolute nonsense about 2:1. Plenty of thrills and spills in the box, which I love. As far as the nonsense goes, players still lose the ball (although not that often), and - the main offender - defenders stopping tracking their man into the box, sometimes inexplicably turning the other way.

Fouls and free kicks continue to be a worry. In 15 matches I won just one free kick in a shooting position. Of I course I scored it with my 69 free kick accuracy-rated jobber.

I'll echo what others have said: I can't see anyone who didn't like any form of PES 2020 liking this. There's nothing new, only elements reinstated from the better 2020 DPs.

There's still so much psychology involved. I still have to bring myself to a Zen-like state of calm ahead of playing it, acknowledging and accepting its flaws ahead of time, to play the game it is and not the game I wish it was. The king isn't back but he's not dead. I give him three months.

PES 2021:
  • Master League
  • Aberdeen, default ML squad
  • Superstar
  • Five-minute matches
  • Default controls
Me:
  • No spring chicken
  • Seasoned PES player
  • Liked PES 2020 during some data packs
Some may scoff at five-minute matches but I've faced facts that unless I play at that duration I'll never make any progress in any ML because of real life commitments, and because I love playing older PESes and have MLs on the go in both WE7:I and PES 2013. As I've found, it's still enough time to lose 3-2.

Going by the above I'm certain it's not based on 2020 DP8, probably the most formulaic iteration of the game. There's space to be found behind the AI defence, the midfield is a little more engaged, and there's been far less of the long ball into the striker's feet, buns of steel on the swivel, curl into the bottom corner.

In brief, moments of joy outweigh moments of absolute nonsense about 2:1. Plenty of thrills and spills in the box, which I love. As far as the nonsense goes, players still lose the ball (although not that often), and - the main offender - defenders stopping tracking their man into the box, sometimes inexplicably turning the other way.

Fouls and free kicks continue to be a worry. In 15 matches I won just one free kick in a shooting position. Of I course I scored it with my 69 free kick accuracy-rated jobber.

I'll echo what others have said: I can't see anyone who didn't like any form of PES 2020 liking this. There's nothing new, only elements reinstated from the better 2020 DPs.

There's still so much psychology involved. I still have to bring myself to a Zen-like state of calm ahead of playing it, acknowledging and accepting its flaws ahead of time, to play the game it is and not the game I wish it was. The king isn't back but he's not dead. I give him three months.
Very well put & ehoes my feelings about this update. Things happen a lot more in the final 3rd, things that would break down & become frustrating in 2020. There's more chance of beating players with pace & getting behind the defensive lines. The improvements in physicality also make for some randomness & a better chance of coming out with ball in places you wouldn't normally expect to. It's fun.

if i had 2020 on PC (and i tried; only the hassle with the system aint worth my time), i wouldnt even look out for a new version. modders and option file creators did a fantastic job with last years version, imo. better gfx, better atmophere, better gameplay than the original konami version.

- i'd say, dribling is a bit better. "way better" would give me the freedom and finger relaxing controls back we had before. but yeah, it is noticably better (but not as good as it could be).
- yes, same here, a bit better, imo (nothing ground breaking). did not have to much of a problem with them before. only last night i had a nice one by Lewangoalski when i played one match in 2020 vanilla in between the 2021 testing matches.
- as the whole game "flows" a bit better too, yes... i saw positive stuff here but still... aint really a huge step up, imo.
- i felt that too and i liked it. shots are a bit slower, shots from afar look more realistic (speed and tractory wise), shots get blocked by the defense differently (they slow down but are not fully blocked) wich leads me to the collions that are part of that i guess. manual finesse with R2 seems to not have that huge curve in it, the corridor is a bit smaller.
- i like the new collisions. minor tweak but when the opponent fouls you, your legs dont get stuck and come to a full stop but slide around the opponents body a bit. its more like it is in irl. you dont get stuck 100%, you slide and grind on or at each other.... this leads to you getting away with the ball even after a tackle (not get stuck in stumble animation too). like that. same time you can draw as many fouls as before... maybe a bit more.
- keepers have a few new animations in and i liked them. slower side dive for some balls for example, not that floaty. the grabing and throwing animations seemed polished as they stich together better now.
- got a penalty and a straight red for the opponent in my second match! Lewa hammered that one beautiful against the crossbar! :LOL: never mind... ^^
how did i get the pen? well, it was kinda weird. i was next to the opponent and wanted to get around him to have a finesse shot into the long corner. both bodies touched when i hit R2+shot button and the foul animation played. my player got down, ref blew whistle, a pen!
it all did not feel 100% right... as if the foul in the pen area wa given because i hit shot on that exact moment. like it was triggered by that.
will have an eye on that... i want to just get rumbled down by the opponent and get a pen without me pressing a button at that moment. hope oyu understand me! :CONFUSE: lets see if thats working out in the future.

i do agree with some other posts here too. there is improvement in some parts of the game and i very welcome them all.
only i can really not recommend it to anyone that did not like 2020. you wont find anything thats groundbreaking new or polished so hard it shines like new!
the few tweaks with dribbling, collisions and shots (plus other minor tweaks) thats what is awaiting you. nothing more, nothing less.
each to his own, but some reviews are over the top in my eyes. maybe its because i dont have konami stocks in my portfolio. ;) i dont know.

what you make of my words is up to you as well. i can only be as honest as i ever was!

finally: the review @Chris Davies posted here: https://evo-web.co.uk/threads/efootball-pes-2021-discussion-thread-all-formats.83069/post-3583580 (verdict starts around 9:50min!)
i dont agree with everything said in this video, as i can find joy in shooting and such... but the verdict at the end is what i totally agree on!
it is not the mayor overhaul some users make it sound like. i like everyone for their view on things and opinions... but really... this is just a baby step! little polish here and there.

2021 will replace my 2020 vanilla i guess... but i need more time on the ball. Part of that as well is the hi her for an option file.
Wish there was one for PS4 so I could start an ML, cut my PS4 from the internet and have a couple of matches.

Let’s see what future updates will do to the game. Hope it’s not the 2020 DP Road they are going once again...

finally: i guess i got a special edition myself: PES 2021 - the bit edition ;)

edit2: what has our @The_Knight to say i wonder! really would like to hear your impressions mate!
btw: scored a beautiful manual finesse shot with müller from outside the box and had to think of you. will post later.

edit3: comparing it directly to the 2020 vanilla: the vanilla plays a tiny bit faster (2021 plays a tad slower than 2020) and feels a bit snappier to me due to that. the faster dribbling with RS in 2021 seems to conquer that lost speed a bit. so its a tad slower on the pitch but more responsive with RS dribbling. if that makes sense! :D

Spot on, couldn't agree more and thanks for typing it out. Same goes to others that took the effort. As much as i tried, in the end I just couldn't be arsed to pin point every little thing that is different and how it affects overall gameplay. Not after all the abuse from Konami this year with their surprise patches.

Yes, the game is definitely better and smoother and all that. But i agree in the end this season update doesnt deserve a whole lot of praise when you consider the game is now pretty much in a state it should of been a year ago when it was released as an unfinished product that they eventually fixed by dumbing it down untill nothing more was left then a shadow of its potential.

Thankfully some of that has been restored now. The anything can happen feeling has largely returned and the game feels less scripted, more fair and under your own control. Despite this, i still have this sour taste in my mouth when playing it. Not because of bugs but mainly because it shows again so clearly where the focus lies: attack, attack, attack. All those little improvements made it smoother and snappier but where is the calmness to counterbalance this?

Most definitely i am guilty of romanticising the past when i say that on a meta level playing PES nowadays feels more and more detached from the real thing due to a lack of small strategic choices. What i mean by that is in real life, every match starts by feeling each other out, slowly building up play. Looking for that little space, that unattentive moment to exploit, getting in those little pokes to provoke a too eager move, etc. PES used to represent this so much better.. i am looking at you 2017, PES5, et al.

Where is the art and skill of maintaining possession under increasing pressure and perfectly timing that pass, dribble or tackle. Knowing when to make your move. That is how i learned to play PES and how i still play now. But the other game now encapsulates this aspect much better. Every pass should count and should have consequences; good or bad.

Yet, in reality everything is wide open until the box. I can go left, i can go right, i can go wherever i want. There is always a player i can pass to, there is always a way out (on top player). "Hey, there goes my fullback again for the 20th time this match and no one seems to care.". In PES 20 and 21, building up play requires me to fool myself to believe it actually serves a purpose. As if i am enacting a football match on a (huge) football pitch while under the hood a baseball game engine is running. But there is no subtle risk assessment going on in the back of my head whatsoever. No spotting the right moment. No real taking into account if i am controlling Jantje or Pietje. Let alone taking into account which opponent i am facing. Be it attack or defense; nothing forces me to really act differently depending on the players involved in the situation. Its very much on me to imagine that bit as to provide myself with a more interesting experience. Sure, there is individuality, especially for star players, but i dont have to rely on their traits as much as i would like.

Meanwhile, i will continue to enjoy the good but its such a shame its stuck in a distractingly cheap frame. It could of been so much better if they didn't try to please their whole user base without implementing some gameplay sliders. Hopefully they created a modern core for 22 that can handle sliders and/or uses more advanced methods of increasing the difficulty (tighter marking, sprinting more impact on stamina, etc) instead of just using handicaps.

Sorry guys, I just miss midfield battles, not having a shot on goal for a whole match, longing for that one good chance. I want to feel a creative challenge, not just test my skills and reflexes. I want to see stories evolve. Sure there are the occasionally stories but they lack depth. Offline fans are left with moments of real beauty that are missing a solid beginning and middle and get boring all too quickly, like a song with only a chorus.

Last edited:
@slamsoze Did you remember I reported graphical bug with post in march on pes 2020, still same error on pes 2021 what is going on konami, they can not fix just a graphical bug is this a serious company? This is why I do not trust them anyway.
Inked20200917094658_1_LI.jpg

@slamsoze Did you remember I reported graphical bug with post in march on pes 2020, still same error on pes 2021 what is going on konami, they can not fix just a graphical bug is this a serious company? This is why I do not trust them anyway.
View attachment 58968
Yes i do mate. Rhetorical question. Do you remember the EPL transfer bug in 2018, when all English clubs where seeling out all their roster? It was heavily criticised and reported, and promissed from devs to be fixed in 2019. Despite this they laucnhed PES 2019 with the bug inside and only after the first month backlass , they fixed it in 1st or 2nd DP IIRC.

I mean you and me and most of us here know that this is the "trademark" of PES development team on the way they are working (or not). You must remind them every sooner or latter, cause they act like primary school students, they forget to easy and too much. Or they ignore the NON-my-CLUB issues!

If you want my opinion, go "in the mess" and bother again to make a report by email to KONAMI-Support system. I do not give hopes that they will fix it, but it is too early in the game lifespan, so i give you more chances this time than next spring for example! :P

Last edited:
The game feels more like the 2020 DEMO (a demo i thought it was spot on, i purely loved tha gameplay). I can say i’m enjoying PES 2021 atm BUT, my biggest fear is that they will ruin it like they did with the 2020 demo gameplay after a few patches.

These things bother me too but it's important to look at chemistry and Team spirit, these things happen more often with low Team Spirit.

I recommend you to play some matches with the same players and the same tactic, to train some of them in Playmaker playing style, to put a Playmaker in the team and to name him capitan to rise the Team Spirit. There are players more suitable to certain tactics, you also have to control this. I had the same problems with low Team spirit but when your Team Spirit is approaching to 90's the team plays perfect and these isssues disapear. I could even win the Champions League. It's a way of Konami to obligate the player to think like a soccer coach and use all these variables they put in Master League mode.

The game feels more like the 2020 DEMO (a demo i thought it was spot on, i purely loved tha gameplay). I can say i’m enjoying PES 2021 atm BUT, my biggest fear is that they will ruin it like they did with the 2020 demo gameplay after a few patches.
and i bet you are not alone! im sharing that "fear" with you!
i cut all the auto updating on my ps4 and saved the option filed edit data to an usb stick.

****TOP TIPS****

My top tips for now would be:

1.Patch it with kits as quickly and thoroughly as you can if you enjoy the gameplay. Then make sure you either disconnect the internet every time you play or do it before the announcement of a patch drop. Once a patch drops you will not be able to get the data pack or import any more images to your option file as it is linked to the internet.

2. If you patch it with the new data pack in october and hate it, if you go back to vanilla you will lose all your kits as that option file WILL NOT BE COMPATIBLE. Thus leaving you only two options. Play vanilla without kits or the newly patched version with them.

****TOP TIPS****

1.Patch it with kits as quickly and thoroughly as you can if you enjoy the gameplay. Then make sure you either disconnect the internet every time you play or do it before the announcement of a patch drop. Once a patch drops you will not be able to get the data pack or import any more images to your option file as it is linked to the internet.

2. If you patch it with the new data pack in october and hate it, if you go back to vanilla you will lose all your kits as that option file WILL NOT BE COMPATIBLE. Thus leaving you only two options. Play vanilla without kits or the newly patched version with them.

Yeah. We would all hope that the first data pack isn't messing with the gameplay. Then we would be set in terms of transfers and could probably still have a fantastic OF.

After that Konami kan do what they want.

Does anyone know if option files will be compatible on PS5?

I'm thinking of disconnecting my PS4 from the internet to keep this base gameplay & hopefully when my PS5 arrives in November I can risk playing the updated version on that whilst keeping all my kits intact on the PS4 version offline, just incase it gets butchered....

Madness I know:LMAO:

****TOP TIPS****

Vanilla’s buggy..and I mean buggy..If they patch the patched version and it negates the gameplay we are all screwed...That wasn’t the case for 20..Because I never patched.I have to this year,because version 1.00.00 of 21 has more bugs then last years demo.

Last edited:
Man... i can’t belive in 2020 we need to do such things to actually enjoy the game. It infuriates me to say the least!

WHY Konami is listening to the moaning on social networks from some ex-fifa players that want to play a Fifa clone with PES graphics/collisions... etc, is beyond me.

WHY they cant just listen to the ppl that are true fans of the frachise?

Short answer is GREED, long one, you decide.

Man... i can’t belive in 2020 we need to do such things to actually enjoy the game. It infuriates me to say the least!

WHY Konami is listening to the moaning on social networks from some ex-fifa players that want to playa Fifa clone with PES graphics/collisions... etc, is beyond me.

WHY they cant just listen to the ppl that are true fans of the frachise?

Short answer is GREED, long one, you decide.
It's not set in stone that any update will send the game backwards but with Konami's track record over the years I wouldn't hold my breath. I'll be keeping the game as it is for now just to be on the safe side, I have the kits all installed & any major transfers I can do myself.

Last edited:
Sorry man, this happened every year in the last 5 years.

My biggest dissapointment was last year. You can’t imagine how mad i was. After so many years of PES, the 2020 DEMO was the game that made me actually think the whole day to the moment i can open my console and play some more matches.

And then... on retail, they destroyed the game from my POV. Waste of money because i got both PC and PS4 day one, based on the demo.

Sorry man, this happened every year in the last 5 years.

My biggest dissapointment was last year. You can’t imagine how mad i was. After so many years of PES, the 2020 DEMO was the game that made me actually think the whole day to the moment i can open my console and play some more matches.

And then... on retail, they destroyed the game from my POV. Waste of money because i got both PC and PS4 day one, based on the demo.

The disc version on release was the same as the demo..Both for PS4 and Xbox..It was just optimised more.The pc version on release was the same as the first patch on the consoles on release.

This year version 1.00.00 is more raw then 20’s demo..Game speed goes into overdrive at times,and there’s loads more glitches and bugs..That’s why they patched early and it doesn’t change the gameplay..It was to stabilise it,and de-bug.

Back
Top Bottom