eFootball PES 2021 Discussion Thread (CONSOLES)

This game is hot garbage.

How the hell is it any different to PES 2020? FIFA can’t come quick enough.

FIFA is just as bad, if not worse these days. I hope that they change the free kick, penalty and corner kick systems as they are awful in the last few games.

I picked up 2021 yesterday, I know it has flaws but I needed a footy game for the year. I'll see if the PS5 version of FIFA is any good but I'm expecting minimal effort from EA this year, but they'll still charge full whack for it.

I feel 2021 has slightly improved control, and when you play someone like minded you can have some great tactical matches. Both games need that next gen shot in the arm, I just hope PES on the Unreal engine will be the game changer for the series overall.

Hi guys!
I´m new here, but read the forum beyond memories. I didn´t want to buy pes21 because I hate pes20, for me it was the worst since pes14. But this ´season update´ is completely pure joy for me. Yesterday from 13-23 in a row a I played games. Its so addicted.This gameplay is so much rewarding, I do what I want on the field. I am online player, division or in a lobby with Pa1 pass support, sometimes manually. Myclub is not for me.
Sorry my bad english

It’s not some magical difference, it’s subtle, but definitely a better game on full manual. I’ve turned deep defensive line off for all clubs, just doing league seasons not ML which is the control brasher imo..........better switching, better response times, much better collision errors and I can overlook the other stuff. I was one that hated 2020, it felt like a code that had been bolted together, producing a combination of the good, the bad and the ugly, this now feels smoother.

It has been a long time since the Last time I posted here.

I did not enjoy pes2020 because of How crap CPU AI is and How locked I feel in the attack on ML games. Its Just ridiculous, not Fun at all.

I ended up playing for no longer than one month with game because of How static, locked and scripted It was, attackers staying behind a ridiculous midfield line from CPU wgarith zero movement like they were Just cones, absolutely hot garbage.

In the end, my PS4 broke and I couldnt pla anymore, but I didnt miss It a single bit tho. Most forgetable PES I ever owned.ge

Im getting a PS5 this year. Not sure If 2021 Will be avaliable for nextgen, maybe thorugh backwards compability, but I'll pass it anyway. I'll wait for PES 2022 with UnrealEngine.

the first goal from Sane is a fuma finesse shot. i liked how he used his body to shield of the opponent but still was able to turn around and unleash it.
for the second goal by Gnabry i was switching directions (body shift) and used the momentum to my advance. hammered it in then!
the third goal looks pretty simple but in the hectic of a match (and with fuma) its not that easy for me to tap those "sitters" in. but i like the challange and for me personally its so rewarding when it finally clicks and works out well!

Last edited:
Does anyone regularly manage to get in behind the AI defence?

Nearly all of Tottenham's goals today were balls over the top of the defence. I find that literally impossible to do in PES 2021, because as soon as you gain possession, and manage to bring the ball down and turn to face the goal, the AI's defenders have already ran back to sit in-front of the goalkeeper.

This is what I mean when I say PES just doesn't represent football to me, incidentally - whole types of goals just aren't possible. (Unless I'm missing something - I'd like to see clips of goals like this, which I'm sure someone will have...)

Last edited:

Nearly all of Tottenham's goals today were balls over the top of the defence. I find that literally impossible to do in PES 2021, because as soon as you gain possession, and manage to bring the ball down and turn to face the goal, the AI's defenders have already ran back to sit in-front of the goalkeeper.

I have been able to Chris. I think it depends the defensive line of your opponent as well. I have the long ball counter attack on for my team if I have a front 3 that can run and dribble. I'm not going to play possession if i have cheetahs bro! I play with a closer cam angle too so when I retain possession from the A.I. the first thing I do is try to get the ball to my best passer who has Inspire pass traits, on my ML it was De Jong, then I quickly glance at my radar as my front 3 will start to make runs based off the fact the A.I. is programmed to move when my guy with these inspire traits is on the ball. Now it also depends who you are up against, if you are playing a team like a newcastle that sits deep in a 5-4-1 or 4-5-1 then I find it super hard to get in behind. I switch up to a possession game at that point. But I had some exhibitions tinkering with Barca A.I. for the CPU and I was able to get some long balls in behind their high line.

I'll play in a bit and post some vids on my twitter account and tag you.

It sucks that all of this tactical stuff from PES they are programming literal interpretations instead of making it flow more organic. I watched some FIFA 21 videos last night and I really hope @Matt10 can do magic with the sliders cause all their career mode stuff looks awesome. But the gameplay I saw the A.I. looks over powered. Some passing movements from the A.I. in the FIFA 21 vids you couldn't sniff touching the ball similar to PES scripting FIFA just looks more organic doing it.

Im not sure what can you do in ML tactic wise to this game....my 80-90 rated attackers got manhandled by the opposition forward(!), he double tackled three times(!) my guys towards the end of the game with low stamina and with 50 tackling, 50 defense. He was relentless. I call that bullshit.

What custom camera angle you on? I dig it
5, 0, 8 on custom stadium cam.
when in cam settings. switch between broadcast and custom stadium like mine and you’ll notice not much difference but it follows the ball. :BOP:

when i was down 0:2 vs. Tottenham, and thats my general spirit, i did not give up! hope dies last, right!?
i was trying to not get to nervous when i was sourrounded by the oppponent. simple slow dribbling followed by a short pass to the winger. he then sports the mate far away and delivers a beautiful (fuma) long pass for him to tap in with the inside of his boot. lovely stuff. i was very happy when it happend. 1:2 now, there is more, i thought! lets get the momentum working for us...
for the equalizer, i was so glad and proud that i kept my cool. played it out wide, no chance to do something meaningful so i moved the ball to the other side again. patiently spotting my mates runs i was able to sneak the ball past the defenders to the left side. the header finalized the attack! what a relieve! happy fans, happy lads, happy manager!! :D
for the last situation... well, it shows perfectly how i can miss those easy ones. but thats football, i said! ;)

it’s so rewarding when you have a comeback playing fuma. :)

Last edited:
I've just finished spending an evening on the game, after a few positive exhibition games yesterday.

Tonight I played 15 Master League games with Newcastle, having edited the other teams to turn off "deep defensive line" etc.

If I wrote everything I was feeling right now, I would have to ban myself. I'm lucky I still have a working controller. But let me vent, just quickly.

The game makes me viciously, violently angry (which @MafiaMurderBag has mentioned before) - because you are CONSTANTLY screaming at the game to let your input happen, or for your stupid teammates to run away from trouble instead of DIRECTLY TO IT. Whereas all the AI players are usually stood on their own.

All that lovely extra responsiveness soon fucks off when you start an ML. (Team spirit started at 60 and ended at 90 before you ask. Didn't help.)

Hit a perfect long pass to someone? Watch them take 3 hours to bring it down, then another 3 hours to make the slightest turn to face the direction you've inputed, before they can even begin moving away with the ball. Oh, the AI has tripped you up now. Too bad!

Watch in awe as the AI hits 70 yard flat passes from CB to ST over, and over, and over again. Why do build-up if you don't have to? (You really don't! The whole game is counter after counter!)

Defending. There's ZERO POINT in trying to position your defenders to intercept a pass, because they're all laser-guided. Nor is there any point chasing the runner, because you can't "cling" to them and they change direction so swiftly and easily that you end up running in random directions.

That's why the whole game is so back-and-forth. There is nothing useful you can do, out of possession. Nothing. Defending is useless until the other team (offline or online) decides to stop doing quick laser-passes and make the stupid mistake of moving with the ball and getting anywhere close to you. If you can avoid doing that, you'll never be caught!

Hit a perfect cross to your striker and, fairly often (this is one @Emroth points out a lot), he'll run away from where the ball is going. You can put it on the penalty spot and watch him run into the net by the time it hits the ground.

Playing on Top Player? Watch the AI get into a scoring position and skew it wide in the exact same spot every time because it can't beat you too heavily! Playing on Superstar? Watch the AI hit every single shot on target (which will all be saved once they're winning)!

Drawing at half-time? AI kicking off? Watch as they string 5-6 powerful passes together while your defenders stand around powerless to intercept, and watch them score a goal!

And how in God's fucking name do you ever win a defensive header? They hit long balls forward with absolute impunity.

I hate myself for buying it. It's not even just "archaic" and "on rails" because if you play PES 2013, there's a midfield!!! Remember those??? And the AI uses each player's star attributes, instead of every player from every team in every division being a Beckham-esque passing machine!!!

Tried PA1, tried PA0. Won't argue with those who are loving it - God knows I wish I did, because now I'll buy the other game and hate that just as much for different reasons.

BRB, booking myself into anger management.

So you're saying it ain't that bad. Brb grabbing my wallet.

This is what I mean when I say PES just doesn't represent football to me, incidentally - whole types of goals just aren't possible. (Unless I'm missing something - I'd like to see clips of goals like this, which I'm sure someone will have...)

if you play on superstar it’s frustrating like that, top player plays really well and you can score a bigger variety of goals but it’s a bit on the easy side

Agreed and from these situations we should also be seeing fouls and red cards like the Chelsea one earlier.

I was going to say on Tops (which is difficult for me anyway) that you can get in behind and over the top at times.

Cant comment on higher levels, maybe thats where I dont see all the crap you guys put up with.

Superstar is the SIM fuma..But it’s brutal and will punish even the slightest mistake‘s..errors of play..

You can create some magic angles,ball’s over the top,and just about anything else your see on a real pitch if your spend enough time with this game and choose the unassisted root..The things you can also do with one individual player interms of how you use his range of movement to create pockets of space for others players,angles with stick direction changes and small amounts of dash.Your not meant to be static in this game..The lazy quick pass forward and doing nothing but quick one touch football..Will result in the play just being boring and sturgid...and almost completely rubberbanded and nullified if you play on PA1.

This game scripts both for and against you..But to get it to script for you and for you to be the one who’s victriotic and feeling the cpus frustration and pain.Requires the user to exhibit a high degree of manual skill and football intelligence..This transcends well beyond tactics..and anything any previous FIFA or PES has offered..

Forget the ropey engine that needs a overhaul..The game underneath is a engineering masterclass,and actually a true simulation.

Many just can’t take it to the next level or just get tired with the mechanics because they can’t get those mechanics to sing.

On superstar I have slow games where I dictate..But that means at times having a lot of possession and not giving the ball away..I have to wait for small moments in the match to take my chances..and never give the ball away cheaply or continually press or tackle..

Its a massive game of patience on the high levels..But you also need the manual skill set and a deep understanding of the game..Fouls and drawing fouls all plays into my game plan and there are ways to even get the ref in your pocket..Stamina and fatigue also is there and impact substitutions..You create/control the dynamic,the flow of play and ultimetly the script.

Last edited:
Superstar is the SIM fuma..But it’s brutal and will punish even the slightest mistake‘s..errors of play..

You can create some magic angles,ball’s over the top,and just about anything else your see on a real pitch if your spend enough time with this game and choose the unassisted root..The things you can also do with one individual player interms of how you use his range of movement to create pockets of space for others players,angles with stick direction changes and small amounts of dash.Your not meant to be static in this game..The lazy quick pass forward and doing nothing but quick one touch football..Will result in the play just being boring and sturgid...and almost completely rubberbanded and nullified if you play on PA1.

This game scripts both for and against you..But to get it to script for you and for you to be the one who’s victriotic and feeling the cpus frustration and pain.Requires the user to exhibit a high degree of manual skill and football intelligence..This transcends well beyond tactics..and anything any previous FIFA or PES has offered..

Forget the ropey engine that needs a overhaul..The game underneath is a engineering masterclass,and actually a true simulation.

Many just can’t take it to the next level or just get tired with the mechanics because they can’t get those mechanics to sing.

On superstar I have slow games where I dictate..But that means at times having a lot of possession and not giving the ball away..I have to wait for small moments in the match to take my chances..and never give the ball away cheaply or continually press or tackle..

Its a massive game of patience on the high levels..But you also need the manual skill set and a deep understanding of the game..Fouls and drawing fouls all plays into my game plan and there are ways to even get the ref in your pocket..Stamina and fatigue also is there and impact substitutions..You create/control the dynamic,the flow of play and ultimetly the script.

I know what you mean. It is a true gem. You have to put the time in though on manual. Reminds me so much of pro evo 5 in many ways, grappling for control, the ball physics feel somewhat chaotic, there is a strong learning curve required patience wise. Sure it has its problems, but....
I love the individual nature of the players. It really makes me think about how I use my players to influence the game. Love it so far.

Superstar,Tottenham,manual shooting,unassited high pass.😉..Timing and no assistance.(remove the grid and open your mind).

Last edited:

With respect, this is the biggest load of horse poo I’ve ever read on a PES or football gaming related forum. You’re basically making stuff up. The part I’ve bolded is almost fan fiction. I still can’t work out if your posts here are serious or parody.

Looking not bad, but those defenders tracking the ST without any awareness of the offside rule, like on your second goal, is the kind of thing I want to see disappear, if they are really starting from scratch with 22.
I tried to like it. There are certain elements I do like in terms of some controls, ball physics etc, but there's so many things I don't like and they virtually all stem from AI decision making. Sometimes the AI is making too many decisions at once, it needs to just be stripped back.

I can't see myself playing this vs AI unless someone can manage to patch the :RANT: out of it (even then I doubt it's recoverable to be honest, it's too rigid).

There's just so much vertical running, it's like an NFL game or something.. As said above, defenders just track virtually every run and it opens up the space completely. Constant retreating, no-one settles into their shape unless they've reset all the way to the edge of the box. I just see straight lines all over the pitch from one end of the goal to the other.

I really, really hope 22 they completely re-write the game, but I can't say I'm filled with confidence. The series needs a big philosophical re-think before it can get better.

With respect, this is the biggest load of horse poo I’ve ever read on a PES or football gaming related forum. You’re basically making stuff up. The part I’ve bolded is almost fan fiction. I still can’t work out if your posts here are serious or parody.

I don’t make bold claims..Just a user that has been playing these games much like others since ISS deluxe on the NES.Same can be said for FIFA since 08..

I put streams up and don’t create fiction..Maybe I can do things you can’t and maybe you don’t see what I see..

Nothing complicated😉..perspective and interpretation.Also a great manual skill set..Do you want me to show you my shooting?..High passing?..Long ball?..

Ive already debunked one pes21 theory a few posts above..take a look!

I don’t make bold claims..Just a user that has been playing these games much like others since ISS deluxe on the NES.Same can be said for FIFA since 08..

I put streams up and don’t create fiction..Maybe I can do things you can’t and maybe you don’t see what I see..

Nothing complicated😉..perspective and interpretation.
I’ve also been playing football games since the beginning of time. I spent my school days playing Match Day on the ZX Spectrum.

I admire your passion and love for PES 2021 and I’m actually envious - I just don’t get what you’re getting from this? But I have to say I find that your posts very condescending at times. “Free your mind” and all that BS is unnecessary, most people who post here are adults and can form an opinion on what they’ve experienced.

Last edited:
I’ve also been playing football games since the beginning of time. I spent my school days playing Match Day on the ZX Spectrum.

I admire your passion and love for PES 2021 and I’m actually envious - I just don’t get what you’re getting from this? I also find your posts very condescending at times. “Free your mind” and all that BS.

To inform and educate..Facts..Not half truths..Share experiences..Celebrate a game that many have written off and show a pretty close minded and ignorant attitude towards.

Not trolling through people’s posts taking pot shots and saying there full of BS as are there posts.

Think about it..Let’s talk about pes21..Not egos and we are all right and everyone else is just wrong.

Last edited:
To inform and educate..Facts..Not half truths..Share experiences..Celebrate a game that many have written off and show a pretty close minded and ignorant attitude towards.

Not trolling through people posts taking pot shots and saying there full of BS as are there posts.

Think about it..Let’s talk about pes21..Not egos and we are all right and everyone else is just wrong.
Although i apreciate more people playing on manual, some of your posts are very similar to the legendary "you are playing it wrong" meme created in this forum. I'm not trying to start an argument with anyone, but it seems you are implying that most of the problems in this game are solved by changing controls config and is definitely not the case. Playing on manual don't make your teammates less stupid, for instance.

Been playing manual passing for a few years now. Heck I was fuma for a good while. I still can't stomach 2019 and 2020. And I'm sure that won't change with 2021.

You all know damn well how I feel about the AI from the fixed cursor perspective. What @5_Gullit said; that isn't a be all remedy for a fundamental flaw with this game.

And a playing on lower difficulties does is minimizes how much the bad parts stand out because you're able to have more fun against a more muted opposition AI.

Back
Top Bottom