eFootball PES 2021 Discussion Thread (CONSOLES)

The difficulty level plays a massive part....I play on top player/manual it’s very challenging to me, but any higher and the experience becomes kind of automated, hence the lack of enjoyment for those with more skill imo.

i agree personally I like how the game plays on top player the most but the problem I have with it, its to easy after you get used to top player, and I'm no pro PES player these days,

i moved to superstar and yeh to start with i played out a lot of draws and 1 0 losses but evenyaully you get it and i have a verity of results
i do admit that sometimes on superstar i feel like before the games even kicked off the AI is like you not winning this one

my last season on pes 2020 i came 2nd with Man U afte the seaosn before finishing about 6th miles off the pace

superstar will burn you but i do think its the best level to play on all round as its its just not to easy its as boring to win 2 or 3-0 everygame as it is to loose 2-0 every game

Still switching between manual and PA1.

How do you guys play and why?

i have decided i will no longer play PA1. I haven't touched 2021 and the last time I played 2020 was a good 3-4 weeks ago. Im having my girlfiend home and i'll have to wait until second week of October to play with no mayor distractions.
By that time i'll play a few international cups / ACL until the offical update /pes universe update file so i can start ML (I am eager to start playing ML as Watford now, they might be a bit overpowered for Championship but they are quite weak for the EPL i believe)

I remember back in Pes 2019 i was playing Manual until i started playing online coop and people were dissing me for missing some passes, so i made the swith to PA1 until now.

I won 15 penalties last night in one match. I hope they Fix that.

wtf? Really?

I'm another full manual convert. Got to admit that The Knight is right, the cpu does play differently this way. The cpu will still put together occasional passages of play where it's clearly boosted and error free but overall, it's more humanlike, more likely to panic when pressured, physical challenges seem to play out more fairly and it makes more pass errors, so is just generally a better experience.

And there's the benefit to your game where you can makes passes the cpu is less able to predict. I'd also say the game still gives you a certain amount of assistance on full manual, it's really not that hard to string together sequences of passes, although I find chance creation harder. But that makes scoring more satisfying.

I try to stick to Superstar because, although the cpu gets an obvious boost, and I can sometimes find myself pinned back in defence by a mediocre team for an entire half, it's more satisfying than playing on lower levels and dominating possession, only for the cpu to score from its only chance of the match. At Superstar, I get matches where the cpu might have 10+ shots on my goal and not score, and I score 1 of only 2 chances. Even in the toughest matches, I think the game is designed so that you always get at least one chance to score - you may have to wait until the last 5 minutes of the match before you get that chance - so you just have to recognise that moment and make sure you make the most of it.

Hey Sony, what about buying Konami IPs and help make Pes great again with your money?

Thinking about that since MS announced they bought Bethesda.
I don't know why you're getting red carded for this - it would be a good move. A big company with passion and being able to properly financially back a new PES development team would be interesting at least.

I just can't get excited for PES 2022 knowing that the same publisher and development team we've had for the recent releases will be behind it.

Manual passing and shooting, although would be nice to have a specific button to force low shots (i think this would help advanced shooting too) and an easier command to control the curve in finesse shots.
Manual passing is great because you can force your teammate to run into free space, instead of passing exactly where he is.

I don't know why you're getting red carded for this - it would be a good move. A big company with passion and being able to properly financially back a new PES development team would be interesting at least.

I just can't get excited for PES 2022 knowing that the same publisher and development team we've had for the recent releases will be behind it.

True, Konami just doesn't care about its games anymore, so why not let Sony use those IPs. They are still Japanese and they still know very well how to invest money to make a great game. That is our only hope.

True, Konami just doesn't care about its games anymore, so why not let Sony use those IPs. They are still Japanese and they still know very well how to invest money to make a great game. That is our only hope.
So true, theres no reason for this game to be the way it is against the AI

i agree personally I like how the game plays on top player the most but the problem I have with it, its to easy after you get used to top player, and I'm no pro PES player these days,

i moved to superstar and yeh to start with i played out a lot of draws and 1 0 losses but evenyaully you get it and i have a verity of results
i do admit that sometimes on superstar i feel like before the games even kicked off the AI is like you not winning this one

my last season on pes 2020 i came 2nd with Man U afte the seaosn before finishing about 6th miles off the pace

superstar will burn you but i do think its the best level to play on all round as its its just not to easy its as boring to win 2 or 3-0 everygame as it is to loose 2-0 every game

On top player dribbling feels a bit more fair & free yet everything is so goddamn open, there is no challenge up until the box. Superstar is given me some really nice and tight matches (Roma vs Lazio, long grass(!)).

But yea, it can be frustrating. I usually start off very focused but then get a bit annoyed for example because one of my players needs so much time to control the ball and then "magnetically" looses it. All the little frustrations add up and slowly but surely my playstyle becomes more sloppy, eager and impatient. Then before i know it I get punished with some laser quick counter attack.

What I am going to try now is play a bit with the form arrows. Maybe put myself on high form and CPU on low. This might give the best of two worlds?

I know this is the console topic but PES being owned by Sony would mean almost certainly no PC version, and all the fantastic mods that are only possible on PC.

I know this is the console topic but PES being owned by Sony would mean almost certainly no PC version, and all the fantastic mods that are only possible on PC.

But Sony is putting games on PC and i don't think they would deny Pes on Steam.

argh i want to buy this game but at the same time i don't
Seriously, don’t bother. I was like you - in two minds. I should have listened to my gut.

It’s just PES 2020 with new squads. Atmosphere, commentary, AI, shooting, depth of Master League, content etc - all still extremely lacking considering we’re at the end of the PS4’s cycle now and Konami are still churning out the same crud.

If you really feel you need to play it - wait until late October/November. This will be in the sales for sure.

On top player dribbling feels a bit more fair & free yet everything is so goddamn open, there is no challenge up until the box. Superstar is given me some really nice and tight matches (Roma vs Lazio, long grass(!)).

But yea, it can be frustrating. I usually start off very focused but then get a bit annoyed for example because one of my players needs so much time to control the ball and then "magnetically" looses it. All the little frustrations add up and slowly but surely my playstyle becomes more sloppy, eager and impatient. Then before i know it I get punished with some laser quick counter attack.

What I am going to try now is play a bit with the form arrows. Maybe put myself on high form and CPU on low. This might give the best of two worlds?

Hmm, i believe i am having some succes with compensating the superstar scripting with form arrows. Played a few games with me on normal + 1 and CPU normal - 1. CPU is still dangerous but they have to really work for their goals. The 50/50's are a lot more fair it seems and thus i dare to take more risks when i know i have the right player in the right situation. For me, for now, it works. I am having less frustrations and more fun.

Seriously, don’t bother. I was like you - in two minds. I should have listened to my gut.

It’s just PES 2020 with new squads. Atmosphere, commentary, AI, shooting, depth of Master League, content etc - all still extremely lacking considering we’re at the end of the PS4’s cycle now and Konami are still churning out the same crud.

If you really feel you need to play it - wait until late October/November. This will be in the sales for sure.
thanks for the advice i will wait till then or maybe till the euros start so i can playthrough with updated kits and squads as for sure they won't update the euro 2020 part in pes 2020 and buy then it should be 75% off lol

So I finally caved in & brought it, I was pretty sceptical it was going to be vastly different but the reports of the responsiveness piqued my curiosity enough to try it for myself.

Well I have to admit I'm pleasantly surprised. My biggest bugbear of 2020 which was the horrible latency and crippling cursed delay in any kind of input commencing seems to have gone. I played 10 exhibition games last night rotating between Professional, Top Player and Superstar as well as PA1 & FUMA & i had a really good time.

The big thing for me is I don't care whether I win or lose, It's how much agency I have over the experience of the game that keeps me coming back. I relapsed on my swearing sobriety because of 2020 because the majority of the time the game was a frustrating denial of any of my vision coming to fruition due to the input delay, Sluggish tank arse athletes and cantankerous player switching or defenders running away from the turny-shooty strikers in the box.

This time I actually feel like I have as much control over my players as I did in 2016 & 2017 and that curries a lot of favour for me initially. For once in the circa 2020/2021 phase of PES, I can actually envision how I want a play to pan out and I actually get a say in pulling it off as I instructed my players to do rather being failed by the game or my players get there in the end but not the way I intended which comes off as an anticlimactic accident.

I found this also makes FUMA even more enjoyable and invigorating because previously the latency can really hamper the tricky traversal of the manual learning curve as it is.

Headers to have a bit more spunk to them now as others have reported and the AI is using skills again which is also very welcome again and clumsiness of players bouncing off of each other and stumbling to the floor has been reduced but alas it still exists.

The fouls I feel have gone from tedious farce to next to non existent so yet another year the balance on the scales of foul frequency teeters to far in one direction yet again.

It's not all happy days though. I do feel like defenders still seem to be indoctrinated to back away from strikers once they receive the ball in the area which makes you feel like mystic meg because you predict it coming from 10 seconds away then BANG goal as if it's the games only way of giving the CPU a fair chance of competitiveness or something, Also defenders still seem to have this rubber banding that prevents them from getting goal side of an attacker because once again they're frightened to death soaking up a low effort attack from the CPU.

The other thing which I absolutely hated was the CPU's lack of shame when it came to it's absurd rate of success from scoring free-kicks, Largely because I haven't conceded too many fouls in that area yet as I mentioned above, So I'll be pretty pissed off if they haven't atoned that sin yet either.

So still pretty early for me but initially I'm pretty satisfied so far, I know what I'm signing up for and that it's a tweak of PES 2020. I really hope this turns out to be this generation's Winning Eleven 9 Liveware Evolution, has this vanilla version so far is a damn good PES 2020 redemption. But I fear due to the patching culture fetish; This won't last forever unless by jove they figured it out & resist the urge to drastically change things for the sake of it or to appease the undeserving.

Why does EVERY team play long balls? Even those who are set for short pass tactics?
Is it difficulty-level dependent? I only play on Top Player, but I still see that same old pattern of "CM passes to CB, hits 80 yard pass with the accuracy of David Beckham to the furthest ST, who chests it down perfectly with the defender unable to get close" all the time.

This is same in PES 2020, after some mid-season Datapack. Elbow hits by CPU are free inside penalty box. :(
The same applies if you use R2 to make a trap feint while recieveing the ball and run to the empty space. The CPU defender that things you will control the ball headbutts you and plants you to the ground, but the foul is ignored 100% inside PK area and 90% outside PK area. :( :(
Those were easy fouls to draw in the early 2020 DPs.

last night i was playing some League mode, Cup and Exibition in contrast to the ML matches i played the last couple of nights.
what TS does to the controls in ML really is insane! all other modes play the same from a controlling standpoint, how players move, how fast they move, how they collide, how fouls get drawn, how animations work out, the speed of the RS dribbling... its all so much more fluid as in ML (influenced by TS).
i'm not talking about scripting right now, just plain control of players and how everything flows on the pitch. TS takes away that (good) bit of more fluidity that came with 2021 (v1.01) imo... ^^
so my question is: (let the ML scripting aside for now) at what TS level in ML does my team play like in all other modes? is it possible to simulate a whole season to get the TS up before i actually start playing?

as much as i want a little bit of manager atmosphere (buying players and stuff)... so much more i prefer the plain gameplay in exhibition matches (or after last night Cups and League Mode). i expirienced 2020 vanilla as a exhibition sandbox and i could do the same here (even when a structured format like a cup or competition is more fun)!

edit: played Iceland vs. Italy in the end (exhi.)... got slaughtered 5:2 but i'll be back. :)

Last edited:
Is it difficulty-level dependent? I only play on Top Player, but I still see that same old pattern of "CM passes to CB, hits 80 yard pass with the accuracy of David Beckham to the furthest ST, who chests it down perfectly with the defender unable to get close" all the time.
Damn im on SS. I dont want to drop it down to pro.

Back
Top Bottom