eFootball PES 2021 Discussion Thread (CONSOLES)

The AI can't currently handle losing a marked player. If you get ahead of someone who is supposed to be marking you, you can just go like the wind and unless your teammates drag their markers into your path, you will be stopped no sooner than the edge of the penalty box, if at all.

Indeed. I scored this shortly after my most recent post. Granted, I'm using Barcelona against Deportivo Alaves, but watch as no one comes to close me down! I only ended up having to beat one player and by then it was "thank you very much." This is on SS!

Indeed. I scored this shortly after my most recent post. Granted, I'm using Barcelona against Deportivo Alaves, but watch as no one comes to close me down! I only ended up having to beat one player and by then it was "thank you very much." This is on SS!

That looks terrible, you have defenders running away from the player on the ball just to adhere to position & tactical instruction instead of doing the most basic of things.

That looks terrible, you have defenders running away from the player on the ball just to adhere to position & tactical instruction instead of doing the most basic of things.
Has anyone seen their own AI defender rounding the striker (trying to intercept), who’s awaiting a pass from midfield, before the ball reaches the striker?! They always stay behind...

And there is more. ;) i’d become Chief PESimist 2nd grade if I’d continue... ;)
It has all been said before.

2022 can’t come soon enough. Not long guys! :D

Some advice here please lads....
After playing FIFA career Mode for the last year, I'm back on PES with PES21 on PC, but a years worth of muscle memory from FIFA is hampering my play.
Would love some advice on how to use close control in PES21, keeping hold of the ball in tight spaces, and holding off AI defemders.
I know to let go of the LS to initiate 'Auto Shield' but ifind the physicality model in PES awful, you have no control over physical battles, no button to lean into players or shield the ball like on FIFA, and I know of using R2 to trap etc, but any other tips and advice on close control, turning tightly, improving first touch, and general build up play, including dribblling past players, would be massively helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Some advice here please lads....
After playing FIFA career Mode for the last year, I'm back on PES with PES21 on PC, but a years worth of muscle memory from FIFA is hampering my play.
Would love some advice on how to use close control in PES21, keeping hold of the ball in tight spaces, and holding off AI defemders.
I know to let go of the LS to initiate 'Auto Shield' but ifind the physicality model in PES awful, you have no control over physical battles, no button to lean into players or shield the ball like on FIFA, and I know of using R2 to trap etc, but any other tips and advice on close control, turning tightly, improving first touch, and general build up play, including dribblling past players, would be massively helpful.

Thanks in advance.
Spoony Pizzas got you covered.
the basics. There are more dribble tricks and movements but it’s a good start!

i just can’t explain it any better.

i always recommend going into training mode though.

Last edited:
Has anyone seen their own AI defender rounding the striker (trying to intercept), who’s awaiting a pass from midfield, before the ball reaches the striker?! They always stay behind...

And there is more. ;) i’d become Chief PESimist 2nd grade if I’d continue... ;)
It has all been said before.

2022 can’t come soon enough. Not long guys! :D

I have indeed. Not always, buthad situations where the cpu antecipates and takes the ball before I receive the pass. another thing, shot button really seams to be very effective for antecipating, not just to clear the ball, and it works both on aerial and ground balls.

I have indeed. Not always, buthad situations where the cpu antecipates and takes the ball before I receive the pass. another thing, shot button really seams to be very effective for antecipating, not just to clear the ball, and it works both on aerial and ground balls.
oh wow. I can’t remember I’ve seen something like this. On the other side I had a penalty in my second 2021 match (some guys haven’t seen for ages). :)

Glad you dropped a word. Anticipating. :)
I do those anticipating tacklings with X too. so when I’m like 1 meter away from the opponent I anticipate where he will pass the ball and I do an X move to put my leg in. Some nice animations to be seen here.

Anybody here having issues resuming their League campaign since today?? Was fine last few days now get too kit selection screen can't get past it keeps freezing and getting error message! Any ideas how too fix it or just a new bug??🤔😦

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200922-163020_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20200922-163020_Video Player.jpg
    492.4 KB · Views: 12
I've noticed that the corporates at EA have struck a deal with Tesco, Asda etc. not to stock PES in their shops again this year then.....

Shameful :NONO::NONO:
Errrrrrrrrrr... Much more likely that they're not stocking it because nobody buys them. Especially not from a supermarket.

If the bloke who runs my local GAME store tells me they only stock 10 copies because they can't shift them (and we all order our copies online anyway), you can bet there's no kids hanging onto their mum's trolley and asking to put PES in. The lads in my family aged between 8 and 23 have never even heard of it.

Errrrrrrrrrr... Much more likely that they're not stocking it because nobody buys them. Especially not from a supermarket.

If the bloke who runs my local GAME store tells me they only stock 10 copies because they can't shift them (and we all order our copies online anyway), you can bet there's no kids hanging onto their mum's trolley and asking to put PES in. The lads in my family aged between 8 and 23 have never even heard of it.
I got my copy from the local store. Doing that like forever. Most of the time they do have the title in store at launch day.
but yeah, it’s a dying thing...

when I got back from vacation a few weeks ago, I went to a reseller store on my way home. Got me Kingdom Come for 10 bucks. Those stores that sell and resell used games. They’ve become super rare where i live. I asked for old PES titles, they only had those platinum editions.
anyway, we used to not only buy our games at those shacks back in the days, we hang there with the store owner. Small store, shelves on every wall. nintendo, Dreamcast, Sega, playstation... you name it... everything was cluttered with games. Tom, the owner, was a very relaxed guy, older than us but he stayed young at heart. He still was a gamer kid like us. We played some games in a small side room, we chatted, we bought more video games. One of us got food from outside for the whole group. It was more like a city youth house than a store. Good times. :D

Last edited:
oh wow. I can’t remember I’ve seen something like this. On the other side I had a penalty in my second 2021 match (some guys haven’t seen for ages). :)

Glad you dropped a word. Anticipating. :)
I do those anticipating tacklings with X too. so when I’m like 1 meter away from the opponent I anticipate where he will pass the ball and I do an X move to put my leg in. Some nice animations to be seen here.

yeah too bad that currently it’s almost as if we’re the only ones really enjoying the game. It does have bad things but I like what this version offers, and to be honest the good things overcome the bad ones. I would love a better midfield battle, and I don’t understand why they still haven’t fixed that. The thing that makes teams play with a deep line and CF’s always upfront is why the midfield is so messed up. Other than that, I like the gameplay and that’s enough to keep going back.

There was only one time I saw anyone even pick up a copy of PES in my local Asda, and genuinely this is what happened:

Two young lads, one picks up the box “what about Pro Evolution Soccer?”, “is that the one with Usain Bolt in it?”

They put it back and walk off laughing.

I smiled to myself a little in shame knowing I had my copy at home

But yeah, PES just isn’t as popular, whether that be due to licensing, advertising or game directions is up for debate. But it’s not an EA conspiracy theory.

On a PES21 note, I haven’t got it. First time in.. well I don’t know how long, I’m out of the loop. Feel like I kicked a habit, I feel ‘clean’. Now I can take up a less filthy habit like heroin or glue sniffing

I think he was spot on!
You are all shite.
At least until you become a Dragon Warrior.
:LOL:

In other news - seen this the other day

Never seen anything like it in Pes20.
Didnt even know they have such flopped shots in their code. Beautiful thing to see.

Edit: i probably should add - it was on basic shooting, not manual

I can't tell you how many countless times I've seen the AI to that; clear the ball/try to pass it right over the middle while facing their goal in the box.

It's ridiculously poor decision making.

Is it difficulty-level dependent? I only play on Top Player, but I still see that same old pattern of "CM passes to CB, hits 80 yard pass with the accuracy of David Beckham to the furthest ST, who chests it down perfectly with the defender unable to get close" all the time.

It was so predictable. I'd be sitting out on the wing and watch Maguire pass to Pogba. Back to Maguire. Then to Fred. Back to Maguire. Then Maguire would launch it 60 yards out to Rashford. Every. Single. Time.

Poor predictable decision making.

Yes, TS is ruining the ML experience. I think that the form arrows should be enough to dictate if a team plays good or not. I miss the old days when your key player was out of form, and you would have to make important choices about your starting line up. It takes almost a full season now to put your team having a chance, and I always feel that I loose a match because I have too. After that, I´m sure it will feel better, as it was already in PES 2020.

Regarding ML vs Exhibition, it always feels diferent, CPU is not so overpowered, and referees are also fair. I´m loving the game, for me those minor changes in gameplay really did a great job, and it feels like I can always create something special on the final third, but for now, I know that TS is holding me back from having a better experience...

I'm actually fine with the idea of TS. But it needs to be toned down imo. In its current form, it's a cheap way of adding difficulty. Heck if it was tied to form arrows I think it would work better.

1000%. I really don’t understand how this isn’t a bigger problem for people. The amount of space is insane!!!

The space in the midfield is one of my biggest issues with PES in recent years; back a banged on about it on countless posts on here in the last few months.

That and the defensive AI always running away from players on the ball or making runs thereby leaving them space and time in danger areas. Too many times I scored because the defender marking me kept me onside.

It's been like this for years. My first 'modern' PES was 2017 and it was one of the first things I noticed; fullback do not defend wide players. Watch who the game decides to engage a wide player on the ball. It's always a central midfielder while the fullback runs away towards the box.

argh i want to buy this game but at the same time i don't

Me too, by the reports in here and other places it is much improved over PES 20.

Having been burned by all the messing around on the gameplay last year, like 8 or 9 updates, I never settled into it at all, just as I was getting into the latest version, it changed again, usually for the worst.

I’m afraid to buy this, then find out on 22nd October they completely nerf it up and I end up with PES 20 again. A game I merely flirted with and never really got into since they completely changed the game I thought I purchased into something meh 😕 instead.

Money’s too tight these days to spend 25 quid on something I only get 4 or 5 weeks enjoyment out of.

I shall try to hold out, wait and see what everyone says after the first update and data pack is released and then decide and, who knows, might even be in the bargain basement by November for a tenner.

Hope I can manage to hold out and have no regrets.

Seriously?! That's a shame 😢
That's where everyone I knew bought their PES (and other) games from as they were a bit cheaper in the supermarkets (until the last few years when they stopped stocking it).

How times have changed. I must be showing my age 😭😭

There was only one time I saw anyone even pick up a copy of PES in my local Asda, and genuinely this is what happened:

Two young lads, one picks up the box “what about Pro Evolution Soccer?”, “is that the one with Usain Bolt in it?”

They put it back and walk off laughing.

I smiled to myself a little in shame knowing I had my copy at home
Christ - that made me laugh and feel sad at the same time 😂🙈😭

Reading these are honestly answering the question I have whether or not to buy it. So cheers lads I love you all

Edit: I still might do it at some point lol

I can't tell you how many countless times I've seen the AI to that; clear the ball/try to pass it right over the middle while facing their goal in the box.

It's ridiculously poor decision making.

It was so predictable. I'd be sitting out on the wing and watch Maguire pass to Pogba. Back to Maguire. Then to Fred. Back to Maguire. Then Maguire would launch it 60 yards out to Rashford. Every. Single. Time.

Poor predictable decision making.

I'm actually fine with the idea of TS. But it needs to be toned down imo. In its current form, it's a cheap way of adding difficulty. Heck if it was tied to form arrows I think it would work better.

The space in the midfield is one of my biggest issues with PES in recent years; back a banged on about it on countless posts on here in the last few months.

That and the defensive AI always running away from players on the ball or making runs thereby leaving them space and time in danger areas. Too many times I scored because the defender marking me kept me onside.

It's been like this for years. My first 'modern' PES was 2017 and it was one of the first things I noticed; fullback do not defend wide players. Watch who the game decides to engage a wide player on the ball. It's always a central midfielder while the fullback runs away towards the box.

And I’m sure no matter what kind of tactics you use the problem will pertain as it’s inherent in these recent PES games.

Its funny when you start to look for a problem you end up noticing it more. This evening as well as being able to attack down the wing with defenders running back and away from the ball I also had the joy of being able to walk it out of defence with my centre back to the final third before a challenge became imminent. This on Top player also. It’s funny I actually enjoy parts of this one, but space in midfield and players running away from the ball carrier is just criminal.

It's not just that IMO, but OK.
See my post in the PC thread for more details if you're interested (even if I think you're not, it looks like you've made up your mind already).
Maybe the PC version plays differently? I’m on PS4 and haven’t tried it.

I respect that you’re enjoying it but I just don’t see any gameplay changes. It just feels like an old version of PES 2020, like an earlier Data Pack version something? I can’t put my finger on it.

Mafia Remake and Watchdogs 3 for me,Pes 21 is very very low on my list
My Pes money this yr is going towards Mafia. I'm betting it'll deliver a more realistic football experience than Pes20 update from what I've seen. If not there's no shame in falling back to play the most SIM oriented football on the market over the last few yrs ... Rocket League :PP

I've noticed that the corporates at EA have struck a deal with Tesco, Asda etc. not to stock PES in their shops again this year then.....

Shameful :NONO::NONO:
That’s because only a handful of people in the UK buy PES now. Supermarkets stock games that will sell. GTA, FIFA, Animal Crossing etc. You don’t see niche titles like Nier: Automata and What Remains of Edith Finch on the shelves in Tesco do you?

There’s no EA conspiracy here. PES might do well in Asia but not enough here to warrant ASDA ordering in 50 copies of it.

Back
Top Bottom