FIFA 09 PC discussion thread

Fifa 09 is a bit of a dissapointment for me on pc. Scoring is too easy, player faces and stats are BS, gfx not so good with 8800gts high and 1920x1200.
Gameplay is still the same, a little bit changed. Commentators are very funny though. I would give it a 70/100.

Well as always, guess it's up to the modding community to do something about it! Am sure monkeydragon and/or the dudes over at Gamingaccess will do something, like what juce does for PES.

I suppouse you haven't played PES09 demo.

* It plays about 4 times faster than a real match
* Players have no positions in the field
* Teammates just run in circles like crazy
* AI fowards chase your defenders like it was the 89' minute of the world cup final
* And don't get me started on animations... players run waving their arms and legs all over the place EXACTLY like the first Mario Bros Game.

The movement on PES 2009 is atrocious, that's my main problem with it. I think they actually made it worse than 2008. The speed has barely improved, it feels clunky, passes STILL go in the wrong direction on a regular basis (I am glad of FIFA's fully manual passing), player speed still counts for nothing.

I agree it is 'fluid' in an arcade sense, but I want a simulation now, and FIFA is definitely closest to a sim for PC this year.

The movement on PES 2009 is atrocious, that's my main problem with it. I think they actually made it worse than 2008. The speed has barely improved, it feels clunky, passes STILL go in the wrong direction on a regular basis (I am glad of FIFA's fully manual passing), player speed still counts for nothing.

I agree it is 'fluid' in an arcade sense, but I want a simulation now, and FIFA is definitely closest to a sim for PC this year.

Im glad that some people find FifaPC a football game....This way EA may not completely abandon the platform....

I must say actually, after playing the PES 2009 demo, FIFA did feel a little bit jittery, for want of a better description. However I think it's purely the contrast between Pro Evo's sloppy control and 'gliding' players vs. FIFA's much tighter movement, which I consider to be more realistic. I can see why people consider FIFA to be a bit sluggish in comparison, though.

Another thing that bothered me with Pro Evo 2009 is that players STILL don't do what I want them to. I had the ball in the opponent's half with Gary Neville, about 10 yards from the side of the pitch. It was a fantastic opportunity for Ronaldo to make a run forward, but what did he do? He fucking stood there like a lemon. In real life this simply would not happen.

In FIFA 09 on PC, the players do exactly what you'd expect. Wingers are always looking for attacking opportunities. Likewise defending players hang back. Maybe it's just more compatible with my own way of play, but to me it is just far more realistic.

I must say actually, after playing the PES 2009 demo, FIFA did feel a little bit jittery, for want of a better description. However I think it's purely the contrast between Pro Evo's sloppy control and 'gliding' players vs. FIFA's much tighter movement, which I consider to be more realistic. I can see why people consider FIFA to be a bit sluggish in comparison, though.

Another thing that bothered me with Pro Evo 2009 is that players STILL don't do what I want them to. I had the ball in the opponent's half with Gary Neville, about 10 yards from the side of the pitch. It was a fantastic opportunity for Ronaldo to make a run forward, but what did he do? He fucking stood there like a lemon. In real life this simply would not happen.

In FIFA 09 on PC, the players do exactly what you'd expect. Wingers are always looking for attacking opportunities. Likewise defending players hang back. Maybe it's just more compatible with my own way of play, but to me it is just far more realistic.

IMO its the cumbersome and uneccessary deph of tactics and stats that PES has....
We just need 2 teams with 11 players each behaving teh SAME...like a decent game of chess...

Has anyone tried the demo with a Play PS2 PC USB converter? Everytime I try and boot the demo up, with the pad in, it crashes. If I take the pad out, it boots fine. Any ideas as how to fix it? I'm running 32bit Vista Premium BTW.

There seem to be problems with PS2 pads through USB converters, Templar. I'm not sure it can be fixed. I use a 360 controller which works perfectly, as does my Logitech Rumblepad.

Hi.. someone know where i can download New Roster for Fifa09? Robinho is in Real Madrid.. i remember on Fifa08 u can download new roster.. Tnx

you know what guys? Im more angry at EA than at KONAMI...cause lets face it KONAMI team cannot keep up....so they do their best....but EA makes the masterpiece thats FIFA09 Xbox360/ps3 and then shoves at us that crap pc version...and thats unforgivable...

I hate Ea politics , Hossack have to be fired . He have to produce mini-games. Fifa this year had to be a direct port from X360.

With the complains again? I thought the previous few pages should've at least quelled any arguments? Baying for blood now isn't going to change anything, anyway.

I totally agree with Wowlman, yes PES2009 is very smooth and all, but it also feels very arcade-y. My biggest, biggest beef with it? The goddamned retarded fact that players who take freekicks behave like golfers, standing still to watch where the ball goes AND refusing to move even if the ball hits them in the face after hitting the wall. Just what kind of nonsense are they trying to pull here?

Still, the game would look absolutely gorgeous with some patching done, so I might be somewhat partial to that. Not that FIFA09 looks bad or anything, really; I'll be patching both games, see how things turn out and all. FIFA09 is, for me, the more realistic game, even on the PC. Honesetly, guys, if you actually play football you'd know that you don't kick exactly when you want to, nor do your team mates. Planning what to do is just as important, and I get that feeling more in FIFA, so kudos to the team which had to settle for developing less complex routines.

There's something I REEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLY like about the 09 version: I was playing barca (me) vs valencia. I was sprinting a lot with messi and Iniesta. Of course you'd expect them to be more tired than the rest of the team. But by the 3rd quarter of the second period, they just couldn't keep up with the pace of the game and I REALLY NEEDED TO SUBSTITUTE THEM.

Wait, tell me that isn't sarcasm okay!

Because, honestly it's one of the things I like about FIFA too- stamina levels. You really have to be pretty damned strategic about them. Even more planning, even more need for intelligent play.

And custom tactics are actually in there, to whoever's complaining, while they're a bit fiddly they still pretty much work so.

Hello guys.
I have a problem with a PS2 controller on the PC.
FIFA boots fine and all but the problem is that when I try to sort out the buttons for the controller it does not let me select buttons for 1)through ball, 2)sliding tackle.
When I push a button to select it still says "empty".
So I cannot play the game.
Does anybody know what might be the problem?
Thanks in advance

I found this list on an EA sports Forum:

Please see below for a full list of supported controllers:

Belkin N45
Gravis Eliminator Aftershock
Interact Axis Pad Colors
Interact Hammerhead FX
Joytech USB Dual PS2(R) to PC Converter XP (needs 2 PS2(R) controllers plugged in)
Logitech Dual Action
Logitech Cordless Rumblepad 2
Logitech Rumblepad 2
Logitech Wingman Cordless
Logitech Wingman Rumblepad
MadCatz PC Control Pad Pro
Mayflash Super Dual Box (MP-8866 Dual USB Joypad)
Nyko Air Flo EX
Saitek P2500 Rumble Pad (Cyborg Force Rumble Pad)
Saitek P3000 Wireless Pad & Docking Station
Saitek P880
Speed-Link SL-6540 Bullfrog Pad
Thrustmaster 2-in-1 Dual Trigger
Thrustmaster FireStorm Dual Analog 3 (FireStorm(TM) Dual Analog 4 (USB), analog gamepad, dual analog 3.2)
Thrustmaster FireStorm Dual Power 3
Thrustmaster FireStorm Wireless
Thrustmaster Wireless Dual Trigger

I found a helpfull tip on another forum. After doing what it told me to do my contoller was reconized and i could finnnaly use it.

Here's the thread:
Hi Everyone,

I've had some people having trouble with our pad range in the new FIFA 2005 game, despite the fact that the game does support our pad range. Here is something to try if you find that the pad is not working correctly or you can't reconfigure the controls in the game.

EA did include support for our pads (in fact the P2500 is in the game manual!) but the way that they support the pads is to hard code the "name" of the pad into the game.

In the P880's case they called it the Saitek P880 Pad USB
In the P2500's case they called it the Cyborg Force Rumble Pad
In the P3000's case they called it the Saitek P3000RFGame-Pad

As long as this name matches what is in Game Controllers in Control Panel then the pad will work fine. However, this name doesn't always match (and in fact the P3000 never was called what EA called it so I've no idea where they got that from).

So if you're finding that the pad doesn't work correctly then you need to edit the name of the pad in the Windows Registry.

Click Start>Run, type regedit and click OK. In the Registry Editor browse to the following folders in order:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
SYSTEM
CurrentControlSet
Control
MediaProperties
PrivateProperties
Joystick
OEM

And then find the following folder depending on which pad it is, it should look something like:

VID_06A&3_PID_0109

If you have a few, just find one where the OEMName matches that which you find in your Control Panel|Game Controllers window.

Click on the folder and then look on the right side of the Registry Editor; there should be an entry called OEMName that has an ‘ab’ icon next to it. Double click on that icon and a window will appear called Edit String. In that window you can see that it has the name of the pad – this needs to be changed to reflect what EA's games support so, change it to one of the supported names (I changed my PS TO USB CONVERTOR to Logitech Dual Action).

And tada, it should solve the problem! Note that what I posted is a modification of a solution I used for FIFA some time ago.

Hello. I recently downloaded the demo for FIFA 09, but it runs jerkily? I mean, it's not horrible, but it's not good. I don't know why, because I thought my computer was good... perhaps I am wrong? So here are my specs:

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E4500 @ 2.20GHz
2.19 GHz Performance Rated at 4.28 GHz (CPU SPEED)
2.0 GB (RAM)
Vista Home Premium Service Pack 1
NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS

so any reason to why it runs jerkily? I've turned off the high graphics, making them low and turning everything off but it doesn't make much of a difference at all...

Last edited:
43a_20_itcrowd_243x377.jpg

way to go CB.

you know what guys? Im more angry at EA than at KONAMI...cause lets face it KONAMI team cannot keep up....so they do their best....but EA makes the masterpiece thats FIFA09 Xbox360/ps3 and then shoves at us that crap pc version...and thats unforgivable...
even without me paticipating in this thread, many still agree with me ;))

im having sooo much fun in fifa09 ps3, man you pc guys are missing out :((

i would buy a xbox 360 with fifa09 for around £150 just to play this masterpiece
edit:

It would be very good for Fifa 2010 if they ported full next gen graphics into the game and also had an option for switchable ai from current gen to next gen. I prefer the pc gameplay to the next gen version at the moment as it feels more fluid and not as slow as it feels in console versions. However it would be great if they just ported it into Fifa 2010 and gave users the option to see if they could run it on their processor. What about an application before fifa 2010 starts being made, that tests the pc users processors to see if they are powerful enough and then submits the results. I reckon it won't even use 45% of my processor usage, the current gen version only uses 15%. How much more processor requirements are needed compared to the current gen to next gen. Does it require more than 3 times the cpu power. My processor can handle 9-10 times the current gen engine so if its more than that then let me know, even though my processor is not the fastest.

I remember developers complaining about the release of the xbox 360 and ps3 processors being too slow and that a pentium d would have been better than either of one used in the next gen consoles. If this is the case then a a 1.6ghz e2140 pentium dual core that costs £20-30 which is probably faster than the faster pentium d at 3.6ghz, as pentium dual core is based on coroe (core 2 duo) architecture, then all the 1-3% will need is a £30 processor to be capable of running next gen gameplay. Even my slowest laptop is faster than the pentium dual core with a mobile t7100 1.8ghz core 2 duo so it should be able to run it. If an xbox 360 can run it with a processor based from the powerpc mac g5 then a modern day processor should run it easily.

Finally Intel is the biggest processor manufacturer with the most advanced technologies. So ea are basically trying to say a 2004 developed 90nm IBM powerpc triple core is as fast as my 45nm 2008 quad core made by Intel, dream on. IBM powerpc processors are renowned for not living up to expectations, hence why Apple moved to Intel core 2 duo/quad. The powerpc in the g5 was being hyped by IBM to beat the fastest pentiums and athlons out at the time yet which supposed to beat everything got beaten by the majority of budget athlons and pentiums out, no wonder why Apple switched. They probably couldn't afford to get embarrased any longer of why their macs were so slow compared to windows computers although the os was not the issue just the over hyped slow hardware. I hope the ps4 and the new xbox will move on to intel processors as well as better graphics cards as no wonder why most games can't run at 1280*720 at 30fps on the ps3.

EA like IBM are over hyping the consoles outdated processors saying 3-4 year old IBM's processors are faster than the best offerings of the biggest processor manufacturer intel. Intel are starting to make their first major supercomputer now which will overtake the IBM's fastest number 1 supercomputer by 2012 and using about 280 000 processors less. No wonder why Nasa went with Intel. IBM have been making supercomputers for ages yet they are going to get overtaken by newcomers intel very quickly by the use of the current xeon quad cores and soon xeon nehalem quad cores.

Now ea most people who play the latest games on pc have a cpu made after 2006 which is two years newer than the next gen consoles cpus. Most people who play crysis don't use slow p4s, but core 2 duo or above with good mid range graphics cards that are over 3x times more powerful than say a ps3 graphics card.

Now you tell me why we can't run next gen?
I guess you will say that the processors in the console are designed to run games while Intel/AMD processors are for general pc tasks and not dedicated gaming cpus.
So why is it then the actual game developers complain about developing games for consoles as they feel limited in what performance they can achieve out of it after coding for pc games. The only people in EA who think it won't run are the people who represent EA publically in public relations. However if you ask the actual developers/coders they will say to you the majority of pc gamers computers can run next gen gameplay and graphics with ease.

in other words, nail in the coffin and poor excuse from EA

Last edited:
EA should cease making Fifa on the PC. The graphics are jerky and very bad even with Anti aliasing turned on and the ball is massive. It doesn't even support my pad, so straight away I'm having to find a patch or a fix to play the game. Great stuff. Good job I didn't buy this game as I installed it off my mates CD

Just acquired this game for my PC and I've got to say it's an absolute disgrace. First impressions are that it's too similar to 08, and secondly, it doesn't run or look anywhere near as nice as the PES demo does. Why can't I have circle as my tackle button? Why can't I have R1 as my sprint button? PES it is for me, and I'm so glad. FIFA should stick to consoles.

Back
Top Bottom