FIFA 09 PC discussion thread

Can I just break this DRM conversation to say - I am actually still really enjoying this game. It has its downsides but especially when you get to know how it moves, you can create some really nice attacking play, really smooth stuff.

In particular the varying speed of players, and the effectiveness of short long balls (i.e. in the air, but over a short distance), plus the control the right analogue stick gives you, can make FIFA 09 really exciting at times. All of these are things you don't get in Pro Evo.

I guarantee if I'd been recording some of my games, the flow of the match would shut up a few of the console owners for sure.

I also scored a superb volley with Seedorf last night - much like Rooney vs Newcastle a few seasons back - I'm well pleased you can do that in this game.

You scared the hell out of me there Jonney! I thought you were going to tell me they'd scrapped the PC version or something.

Honestly - does it really matter? Most people are complaining out of principle more than anything. You're surely only going to do 3 installs if a) your PC breaks several times or b) you are lending it to friends and letting them steal it, which you can't blame EA for wanting to prevent.

And failing that, there are ways around it.

yea ways round it are not legal though. a footy game more or less lasts a good while. many people play footy games until the new one comes out so within that time frame your more likely going to go over that 3 install limit especially if you love modding it.

sometimes mods dont work well and require a re install.

yea ways round it are not legal though. a footy game more or less lasts a good while. many people play footy games until the new one comes out so within that time frame your more likely going to go over that 3 install limit especially if you love modding it.

sometimes mods dont work well and require a re install.

True, but then most mods are technically illegal. Not something that EA would be against, though.

I don't know how mods work in FIFA, but isn't it mostly a case of simply adding files which you can later delete?

Plus you'd be mad not to backup any affected files before you installed any kind of mod anyway. Easy to do, and means you can re-copy the original files without any kind of installation process. You should be doing that regardless of DRM.

im afraid i have bad news guys News - http://gaming.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=15573

DRM is in it

To be fair, that article makes no reference to a 3 install limit, just authentication on install. For Spore it says a 3 time download limit (now 5), I have in the past bought the download version of a game and it had a 3 download limit, but the same game bought from a shop on DVD had no such limits. Are we not talking the same thing here?

I haven't looked up Spore to see if its a game available for download or even what sort of game it is. I have no issue with an online authentication on installing a game, but I would have an issue if I wasn't internet connected or just had a pay as you go dial up account (do they still exist?).

With a football game the 3 activations isn't a major issue since most of us replace the game with new seasons version in a years time.

Its much bigger an issue with games like Mass Effect who some of us like to go and play again many years down the line.

I just found out how to dribble the keeper on one vs one. This alone improves the game a lot for me. Maybe this was also possible on previous Fifa's, but seen as I'm new to the series, and there may be more newcomers, here it goes: when the keeper rushes at you, fake a shot (shot button, then pass button at the same time and shift to another direction) and voilá. Apparently The key to fool the keeper is to charge the shoot button considerably.
Fortunately, this dribble is by no means a guaranteed success.

Hope this has helped someone out there.

I just found out how to dribble the keeper on one vs one. This alone improves the game a lot for me. Maybe this was also possible on previous Fifa's, but seen as I'm new to the series, and there may be more newcomers, here it goes: when the keeper rushes at you, fake a shot (shot button, then pass button at the same time and shift to another direction) and voilá. Apparently The key to fool the keeper is to charge the shoot button considerably.
Fortunately, this dribble is by no means a guaranteed success.

Hope this has helped someone out there.

Thanks for that Gergerger, I'll give this a go later.

Glad to see there's a few people here definitely getting the game now. We'll have to sort out some kind of online tournament when we've all got it.

i played demo for the first time today... impressions? i was totally dissapointed and furious... the same gameplay and motion capture from fifa 08 with exactly the same 3d models fullfiled with "lightning" effect... again, thumbs down to fifa PC producers...

I was a bit bored earlier today, so I decided I would give the PC demo another quick go to to pass some time.

These emoticons sum up my thoughts on it:

:((
:sick:
:-ll
:brick:
:censor:

:(( = Dissapointed at the overall quality of the game, with the animations, physics, AI (teammate and opposition), controls being terrible compared to the console versions.

:sick: = Can't stand the game, too predictable, the same shot from the same position = goal. That same problem has always plagued PC FIFA.

:-ll = Disbelief at some of the completely unrealistic happenings in the game.

:brick: = The knowledge that EA have such quality (proved it with console FIFA) yet only produced this rubbish for PC.

:censor: = A big "fuck off" and uninstallation to PC FIFA 09.

I was a bit bored earlier today, so I decided I would give the PC demo another quick go to to pass some time.

:(( = Dissapointed at the overall quality of the game, with the animations, physics, AI (teammate and opposition), controls being terrible compared to the console versions.

:sick: = Can't stand the game, too predictable, the same shot from the same position = goal. That same problem has always plagued PC FIFA.

:brick: = The knowledge that EA have such quality (proved it with console FIFA) yet only produced this rubbish for PC.

EA has simply handed over the PC field to KONAMI....Its just playnly retarded....oh as retarded are the pathetic excuses EA made up....for such an idiotic decision....

EA has simply handed over the PC field to KONAMI....Its just playnly retarded....oh as retarded are the pathetic excuses EA made up....for such an idiotic decision....
agreed. a waste of time. wish EA could give me back those bandwidth and ime used to get and play this stupid game

agreed. a waste of time. wish EA could give me back those bandwidth and ime used to get and play this stupid game

And if they blame piracy...its just dumb...the game needs to be original to play online (hamachi PES came very late and is a huge hassle to make work)...so they could simply make a PC version with minimal single player and thus focus online completely and then we see what pirates will do with the game without online...

i couldn't agree more... the last fifa for PC with any value was fifa 06...

Although I have a console and don't play many games on my PC any more (FM and Peggle, sometimes the odd go on PES3/5/6), I think it is completely unfair that PC users get shit on like this and get the inferior versions of games (like FIFA 09), get games released months late (like GTA IV) or don't get given them at all (skate, Top Spin 3 etc.).

Last year was a shite year for PC football gaming with PES 08 being so bad and FIFA 08 being crap as usual, and this year looks no different with PES 09 shaping up to be another shite game and FIFA 09 being very poor as well.

I wouldn't second that opinion. I can't consider Fifa 09 to be that poor at all; in fact i enjoy it a lot and I can't stop praising the pitch/players proportions (let alone the ball, of course -which only looks big in replays btw-), how the teams are distributed in the field, and how good and deep the pace of the game is (I'm tempted to use the word "tactical", since you have to pivote, switch sides, pass to defenders, etc.)...

But on the other hand I reckon this 09 PC version is AT LEAST the version we should have recieved LAST YEAR.

Although I have a console and don't play many games on my PC any more (FM and Peggle, sometimes the odd go on PES3/5/6), I think it is completely unfair that PC users get shit on like this and get the inferior versions of games (like FIFA 09), get games released months late (like GTA IV) or don't get given them at all (skate, Top Spin 3 etc.).

Last year was a shite year for PC football gaming with PES 08 being so bad and FIFA 08 being crap as usual, and this year looks no different with PES 09 shaping up to be another shite game and FIFA 09 being very poor as well.

yea and people blame piracy for teh state of pc gaming or teh fact that 1%-3% of pc's can handle current gen games LOL its all bullshit and companies are just turning ablind eye on pc gaming all together. EA should just stop making pc gaming if this is there attitude.

they either make shit games or make good games that restricts you on the amount of times you can install a game and slow down your pc. fucking pathetic imo.

a current gen fifa09 could be played on ALOT of "gaming" pc's and if they did make it identical to the console version ie 10v10 online bap etc, more people wil buy the fucking game due to teh fact YOU CANT PLAY PIRATED COPIES ONLINE.

want to combat piracy? make a great game with greta online features!!! just look at world of warcfaft, css, tf2 and even cod4. all very popular pc games with one thing in common, GREAT ONLINE PLAY.

After playing quite a few games of FIFA 09 I've decided to perhaps buy it for a spin when it gets released. Or maybe after my A Levels are over, hurr. It just feels more... organic? Dynamic? It's a little of the pitch-to-player ratio, the animations, the movements, the right-stick control all together. Admittedly the graphics (from what I've seen on the demo) aren't as sharp with my current PC as PES08 is, but I can forgive that. The game is indeed very deep, and goals are harder to come by than in PES, I'd say, having played ever since PES3/4 came out on the PC.

Edit: Just saw jonneymendoza's post. Um you do understand that people with "gaming" PCs only constitute a small percentage of the market for FIFA09? So "ALOT" of "gaming" PCs means very little in numerical terms when you look at the PC gaming market on the whole. Also, even if graphics are scalable to configuration, again it must be emphasised that the AI cannot. Having looked at how the AI of the console versions work I have no problem believing that each player on the pitch has to make 1000 decisions per second, and that's not counting the physics engine which takes into account what's on, for example, http://www.soccerballworld.com/Physics.htm . Now, think about it for a moment. If even "gaming-class" PCs now require PhysX(either through the Ageia card or through CUDA on ATI/Nvidia cards) acceleration for improved physics AND cannot do it through the processor, what makes you think FIFA09 on the console will work for "gaming" PCs?

I understand you've some programming knowledge, but games nowadays are all about economics as well, and the more accessible the product, the more money you make, especially when it comes to games. FIFA09 is not just competing with PES09 on the PC, it's competing with casual games too like Bejeweled (which is still insanely popular) and Peggle and whatnot, all of which have really low system requirements. Low being a generation or two back in terms of processors and graphics cards, maybe even RAM. Go out a bit and you'll realise that most PCs aren't even equipped with last-generation CPUs, let alone Core 2 Duo or quad cores.

Also, sigh, you need to understand that World of Warcraft, Counter Strike, Team Fortress 2 and even Call of Duty 4 are all popular because they feature an important thing: advancement. Also, they are played by single persons controlling single characters. This kind of interaction is significantly more difficult when it comes to a game of football, because the mechanics to make things work will be at least 11^11 times more complicated. It's about teamwork restricted to a current team, and people will have different preferences in different roles; attacking fullbacks vs defensive fullbacks, defensive central midfielders vs holding vs attacking ones. Each position on the pitch presents almost unlimited permutations, and since you're a programmer I'm sure you can calculate what (and this is just a minimum estimate) 11 players^11 x 11 different positions^11 x virtually infinitesimal playing styles comes to. Team dynamics, etc have to work just right to produce a good team.

Even if you're talking about just 1 player controlling each team, football is still too limited in terms of online gaming due to the nature of football itself. Featuring 'level up's and 'bonus abilities' will only unbalance the game or make it less realistic, apart from the whole thing being highly time-consuming while repeating the same things.

So yeah, hope you get the points finally, whew that was a pretty long post.

Last edited:
After playing quite a few games of FIFA 09 I've decided to perhaps buy it for a spin when it gets released. Or maybe after my A Levels are over, hurr. It just feels more... organic? Dynamic? It's a little of the pitch-to-player ratio, the animations, the movements, the right-stick control all together. Admittedly the graphics (from what I've seen on the demo) aren't as sharp with my current PC as PES08 is, but I can forgive that. The game is indeed very deep, and goals are harder to come by than in PES, I'd say, having played ever since PES3/4 came out on the PC.

FIFA09 on PC is FIFA06 with slightly better graphics slapped on it....
So its pathetic and sad...

Edit: Just saw jonneymendoza's post. Um you do understand that people with "gaming" PCs only constitute a small percentage of the market for FIFA09? So "ALOT" of "gaming" PCs means very little in numerical terms when you look at the PC gaming market on the whole.

Nividia sold 20million of the 8800 series....Add to that ATI....and 8800GT will laugh at FIFA next gen....

Also, even if graphics are scalable to configuration, again it must be emphasised that the AI cannot. Having looked at how the AI of the console versions work I have no problem believing that each player on the pitch has to make 1000 decisions per second, and that's not counting the physics engine which takes into account what's on, for example, http://www.soccerballworld.com/Physics.htm . Now, think about it for a moment. If even "gaming-class" PCs now require PhysX(either through the Ageia card or through CUDA on ATI/Nvidia cards) acceleration for improved physics AND cannot do it through the processor, what makes you think FIFA09 on the console will work for "gaming" PCs?

I understand you've some programming knowledge, but games nowadays are all about economics as well, and the more accessible the product, the more money you make, especially when it comes to games. FIFA09 is not just competing with PES09 on the PC, it's competing with casual games too like Bejeweled (which is still insanely popular) and Peggle and whatnot, all of which have really low system requirements. Low being a generation or two back in terms of processors and graphics cards, maybe even RAM. Go out a bit and you'll realise that most PCs aren't even equipped with last-generation CPUs, let alone Core 2 Duo or quad cores.

Are you joking? Please tell me youre joking... Crysis sold 2mil copies...if Crytek (aka EA again) managed to find 2mil machines that can run a game 1000 times more demanding than fifa will ever be...why should EA itself?
Oh and please can you not repeat the same PR BS that EA uses as an excuse for selling PC gamers to KONAMI?
A C2D7200 PRE BUILT PC costs £500 INCLUDING 9600GT and 19" LCD....and youre telling me that processor wont make fun of fifa09 code?

Also, sigh, you need to understand that World of Warcraft, Counter Strike, Team Fortress 2 and even Call of Duty 4 are all popular because they feature an important thing: advancement.

What advancement any game has apart from MMOs? Ranking? Its in FIFA too... :-ll

Also, they are played by single persons controlling single characters. This kind of interaction is significantly more difficult when it comes to a game of football, because the mechanics to make things work will be at least 11^11 times more complicated. It's about teamwork restricted to a current team, and people will have different preferences in different roles; attacking fullbacks vs defensive fullbacks, defensive central midfielders vs holding vs attacking ones. Each position on the pitch presents almost unlimited permutations, and since you're a programmer I'm sure you can calculate what (and this is just a minimum estimate) 11 players^11 x 11 different positions^11 x virtually infinitesimal playing styles comes to. Team dynamics, etc have to work just right to produce a good team.

Even if you're talking about just 1 player controlling each team, football is still too limited in terms of online gaming due to the nature of football itself. Featuring 'level up's and 'bonus abilities' will only unbalance the game or make it less realistic, apart from the whole thing being highly time-consuming while repeating the same things.

So yeah, hope you get the points finally, whew that was a pretty long post.

None said anything about making a football MMO...just make some kind of competitions and rankings and events....with of course butter smooth gameplay....with 0 single player....

Yep, I'm telling you that configuration you just listed won't make fun of FIFA09 code at all. Maybe the graphics side of it, but most definitely not the AI. Try running any game with PhysX-support ON while using software mode, and you'll see for yourself how processors cannot handle the physics calculations by themselves. Please, I never denied that graphics were a problem for today's computers. In fact, the graphics for Crysis is better than what consoles can handle, so don't you accuse me of believing in the pure superiority of consoles.

I'd like to know where you got your "20 million 8800" figures from, btw.

Moreover sports games have a much smaller player base than FPSes, and the hype around Crysis was much, much greater. Also, the online portion of FIFA is still pretty good as of FIFA08 for PC, considering the competition. Look at the whole integrative aspect of the widgets and online updates and online league for FIFA09 on the PC, and you'll see that they -are- making a pretty good online game out of it which is unique to the PC to boot. Smooth gameplay is highly dependent on connection, heck even consoles lag a hell lot in general if you're playing with someone with a shitty connection from Uzbekistan or something. Yes EA probably can put more money into FIFA on PC, but don't you tell me licenses and getting adidas to run the Form Updates costs little either.

FIFA09 is on the right track, I say. Not quite there yet, but which game ever is?

(For goodness sake don't bring PES into this, it's a terrible port that still manages to run decently because it's PES6 in terms of AI with better graphics, so don't compare them. FYI I've been playing much, much more of PES08 on the PC than FIFA, so I'd know about it being just a port. If you read reviews, PES08 still paled in terms of graphics compared to FIFA btw. Or look at screens.)

QUOTE=dotslack;1456259]Yep, I'm telling you that configuration you just listed won't make fun of FIFA09 code at all. Maybe the graphics side of it, but most definitely not the AI. Try running any game with PhysX-support ON while using software mode, and you'll see for yourself how processors cannot handle the physics calculations by themselves. Please, I never denied that graphics were a problem for today's computers. In fact, the graphics for Crysis is better than what consoles can handle, so don't you accuse me of believing in the pure superiority of consoles. [/QUOTE]

Its soo obvious that you ahve NO idea about the processing power of modern CPUs...
Oh and console CPUs? (especially the 360s) Are they stronger than a modern C2D? While being out of order CPUs?
I can see that EA's PR BS is working like a well oiled machine....

I'd like to know where you got your "20 million 8800" figures from, btw.

http://www.gamerzplanet.net/forums/...hipped-30-million-geforce-8-series-cards.html

Moreover sports games have a much smaller player base than FPSes, and the hype around Crysis was much, much greater. Also, the online portion of FIFA is still pretty good as of FIFA08 for PC, considering the competition. Look at the whole integrative aspect of the widgets and online updates and online league for FIFA09 on the PC, and you'll see that they -are- making a pretty good online game out of it which is unique to the PC to boot. Smooth gameplay is highly dependent on connection, heck even consoles lag a hell lot in general if you're playing with someone with a shitty connection from Uzbekistan or something. Yes EA probably can put more money into FIFA on PC, but don't you tell me licenses and getting adidas to run the Form Updates costs little either.

FIFA09 is on the right track, I say. Not quite there yet, but which game ever is?

(For goodness sake don't bring PES into this, it's a terrible port that still manages to run decently because it's PES6 in terms of AI with better graphics, so don't compare them. FYI I've been playing much, much more of PES08 on the PC than FIFA, so I'd know about it being just a port. If you read reviews, PES08 still paled in terms of graphics compared to FIFA btw. Or look at screens.)

1st its sad that while FIFA09 xbox360 is miles ahead of PES2009...fifa09 pc is as far BEHIND PES2009 PC....the whole quality of design and graphics is just painful...
3rd If a game is crap at its base you cant do anything no matter if you cover it with butter...it still will be crap covered with butter...so online FIFA09PC might be all gizmos but if the game at its core is crap...its dead end...

I'm sorry, I've already covered the differences between PC processors (even those now) and the console processors. Different purposes, different performance; go read the previous post- it was backed up with benchmarks by jonneymendoza himself too, even though to prove another point.

Also, explain just why physics calculations in games have to be offloaded to graphics cards using CUDA even now instead of just using desktop CPUs, then?

Also, please, do actually read the figures you're quoting. "30 million" INCLUDES cards like 8400 series and 8500 series, which are pretty shite at playing games. 8800s only comprise a very small portion of the "30 million". What you just did there was in statistical terms an "extrapolation", also in logical terms a "factual and logical error". Think too, that 8-series cards INCLUDES laptop cards too, so you have a good number of this "30 million" made up of 8400Ms, plus all your LE versions too. Oh don't forget the 8400GS with Turbocache, wootwoot!

Edit: Eh also, "shipped" is not equivalent to "sold". It's just marketing bull to make people think they've got great sales.

It's possible to have console-generation or even next-gen AI and physics on the PC, if ALL cards could handle them equally. Heck, ALL CPUs would have to handle them equally too, for any fairness in gameplay online. An 8800GT isn't going to be as good as a 9800GT, or perhaps even 9600GT at processing physics, so go figure. There's a reason why PhysX is optional in all games which support it.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, I've already covered the differences between PC processors (even those now) and the console processors. Different purposes, different performance; go read the previous post- it was backed up with benchmarks by jonneymendoza himself too, even though to prove another point.

Also, explain just why physics calculations in games have to be offloaded to graphics cards using CUDA even now instead of just using desktop CPUs, then?

Also, please, do actually read the figures you're quoting. "30 million" INCLUDES cards like 8400 series and 8500 series, which are pretty shite at playing games. 8800s only comprise a very small portion of the "30 million". What you just did there was in statistical terms an "extrapolation", also in logical terms a "factual and logical error". Think too, that 8-series cards INCLUDES laptop cards too, so you have a good number of this "30 million" made up of 8400Ms, plus all your LE versions too. Oh don't forget the 8400GS with Turbocache, wootwoot!

Edit: Eh also, "shipped" is not equivalent to "sold". It's just marketing bull to make people think they've got great sales.

It's possible to have console-generation or even next-gen AI and physics on the PC, if ALL cards could handle them equally. Heck, ALL CPUs would have to handle them equally too, for any fairness in gameplay online. An 8800GT isn't going to be as good as a 9800GT, or perhaps even 9600GT at processing physics, so go figure. There's a reason why PhysX is optional in all games which support it.

I think you dont know much about out of order and in order processing....Crysis has much more advanced physics than FIFA would dare to dream and it sold well over 1.5 million copies...
EA published Crysis and they make up excuses for not decently PORTING fifa to pc...go figure out....

I'd like to join in this argument but I'm struggling to find a point or the time to make a fifteen paragraph post...:LOL:
WOW i totaly agree with u LOL!!! fuck it. some will defend EA to death no matter what:LOL:

edit: i will read this tomorrow and make a comment :)

Last edited:
Eh, I'm not a defender of EA. I'm just defending the developing team behind FIFA for PC, because I can see leaps and bounds compared to previous efforts, and because as a user with a PC that's not great(Athlon64 3200+ running at 2200mhz, 7600GT PCI-X, 1gb DDR400, pretty much what was middle-end the year before)I can still play FIFA on PC. No, I cannot afford a new computer, but a copy of FIFA09 I can definitely do, so. Perhaps the biggest draw for me is that FIFA is actually fun to play now instead of being an interactive movie (read: super-scripted), as much so as PES, so I'll end my 4 year boycott when it comes out later this year.

Dotslack is the one with common sense here.

I'm sorry, but if it was as easy as one or two of you seem to think it is to port the next-gen version, they would. It's not a major job, and quite obviously they know it would sell them more copies.

A football game vs Call of Duty 4 is not comparable. I can also fully well believe that AI football players have to make thousands of decisions a second, and there are 22 of these on the pitch at any one time. Call of Duty 4 AI is largely 'on rails' and doesn't need to cover anywhere near the same range of movement and actions as an AI footballer.

Then there is the small matter of processors that we've already been over. A 360 has 3 cores, a PS3 six. You can't compare any of the current PC processors with that. Sure, once a dual core gets fast enough it will be a similar speed to some triple or quad core processors, but the manufacturers won't make dual core processors that fast, they will just start making more quad cores.

I think we should end it at that. I think the logic is there, and frankly I couldn't care less anymore because the fact is I enjoy the game, as do several others - if you don't then there is no real reason to post in this thread.

Its the usual situation, I have next to know time for EA, its just unfortunate that they have the licenses sewn up. Konami have consistantly made the better game on PC in tems of gameplay - where it matters - and what EA don't seem to understand. (actually I think they do but recognise most of their market are 12 and to them licenses and pretty animations matter).

I really wanted FIFA09 to be the dogs bollocks on the PC but it aint. I know nothing about the new PES offering so can't compare the games. The ONLY things which will make me get FIFA09 are the fact I can configure the controls as I wish, with and without the ball and that PES isn't the challenge it used to be, I need a change.

I fully expect to have mastered FIFA and see the infuriating patters (which are already becoming apparent in the demo) by christmas at the absolute latest, by which time PES will offer a challenge again as I'll be out of the swing of it. It'll also allow the patch makers to get to grips with the game and make it possible for me to play as Leeds.

Dotslack is the one with common sense here.

I'm sorry, but if it was as easy as one or two of you seem to think it is to port the next-gen version, they would. It's not a major job, and quite obviously they know it would sell them more copies.

A football game vs Call of Duty 4 is not comparable. I can also fully well believe that AI football players have to make thousands of decisions a second, and there are 22 of these on the pitch at any one time. Call of Duty 4 AI is largely 'on rails' and doesn't need to cover anywhere near the same range of movement and actions as an AI footballer.

Then there is the small matter of processors that we've already been over. A 360 has 3 cores, a PS3 six. You can't compare any of the current PC processors with that. Sure, once a dual core gets fast enough it will be a similar speed to some triple or quad core processors, but the manufacturers won't make dual core processors that fast, they will just start making more quad cores.

I think we should end it at that. I think the logic is there, and frankly I couldn't care less anymore because the fact is I enjoy the game, as do several others - if you don't then there is no real reason to post in this thread.

Again its clear to me that EA's PR BS is targeting the right people...
Did you know that the 3core AMD phenom costs £64? http://www.eclipsecomputers.com/product.aspx?code=CPA-AP845GH-B
Also do you know that the Xbox360 cpu has the miniscule and sad cache of 1mb?
But since i cant overcome your admiration of the console world ill leave you to that miserable EA's PR BS...

Back
Top Bottom