PES 13 Master League Thread

Hi - I posted this is the main thread earlier and realised I should have posted here.

Hi!

I`m ready to finally start a Master League after editing all the January transfers through the night(!)

I`m on PS3 and I have a question(s) regarding Player Development. After reading through these forums I am seeing bad things about the Player Development. It seems the the players are rising too quickly and after a few season the game is a bit ridiculous to play - Is this still the case with the latest patch?

If it is still bad what are the consequences of turning player development off? The following questions are regarding if you do turn the player development to OFF

Do your players still rise/fall but the players in other teams do not?

What happens when players retire, are you left with a world of mediocre players? Do any good youngsters come in with good ratings?

What is the point in hiring coaches and such if there is no player development?

Do players still drop in ability as they get older?

I think that`s it, thanks for any help and advice I`m so undecided whether to turn the player development on or off. I really want a long lasting game. I`m planning on starting with Liverpool

In addition to the above, when i finished my editing i set up a few dummy master leagues - starting at Liverpool. I noticed that different players were interested in joining at the start of each game. Has anyone else noticed this? One time (at band camp) i had many more players interested in joining then the other times??

Any advice on my original post and this query would be great. I cant wait to get started! :D

I've set up a new ML and it's the first time I've played the game for absolutely ages. To freshen the game up, I decided to pretty much do everything new that I could over the last ML I played.

So, I've started with player development switched off, transfer activity set to low, and on 15 min Superstar games. I'm also completely ignoring the stat boosting items and boots (though players come with stat boosting boots anyways, but I'll ignore that). I'm also, for the first time ever, playing with the real ML players and finances. This sits a little uncomfortably, having always gone the hard route it feels almost like cheating in a strange way, though I know it's not. I've pretty much tried to make the ML as much like a League Mode with transfers in as I can. I really can't be arsed faffing around in Div2 this time around.

So, I also chose a team and league I've never used before, and went for Fiorentina in Serie A. I'm still a bit unsure where the sense of achievement will come from because they start out with a ton of money (around £20M to spend). It seems like a lot, but to compete with the other Serie A clubs and in Europe, that's not actually a great deal when the ability to develop players on the cheap is now out of the equation.

I also went for a default formation different to that I've always played, and have gone with Fiorentina's default 3-5-2 formation. First signing, on transfer deadline day, was to splash all my money on Germany CB Hummels for £17M. He'll fit in perfectly into the back three, acting as a sweeper. That's all my money spent, but I do have a serie A campaign and Europa League to play for.

Again, it feels odd starting the game already in Europe, with £20M to spend but I'm enjoying it, it makes a nice change from the usual ML defaults. It's refreshing to have players in my team who I've actually heard of.

Anyways I went with player development switched off because I think it really affected my ML last time out, sign a player rated at 75 and within two season they'd be at 90. Half the game's database of players ended up at least 80, it was crazy, and affected how the game actually played out. Playing in the CL was crazy, as four seasons in, every player was rated at over 100 for teams like Man City. This time round, all teams and players will remain at their default ratings and never budge, making the game far more balanced and less arcadey.

First game, I lost 3-1 away to Inter, but it was really good fun. The game was a midfield scrap, my five man midfield stifling Inter and despite Jovetic taking the lead, I couldn't hold on and Inter ran out winners.

It's odd playing a ML with no youth team, no player development and with a ready made team but I still have some way to go on Superstar to win the league and then conquer Europe. I still have a lot of wheeling and dealing to do in order to rise to the top of Serie A. I considered doing the ML defaults but with no player development, it's just too unfeasible when you can't buy cheap players and develop them into better ones. It's a shame, but playing the way I am, it just feels like League Mode with added transfers and integrated European competitions, which is great. And Fiorentina are a great team to use, they have good players but still leaves a lot of room for improvement.

Last edited:
Hi - I posted this is the main thread earlier and realised I should have posted here.

Hi!

I`m ready to finally start a Master League after editing all the January transfers through the night(!)

I`m on PS3 and I have a question(s) regarding Player Development. After reading through these forums I am seeing bad things about the Player Development. It seems the the players are rising too quickly and after a few season the game is a bit ridiculous to play - Is this still the case with the latest patch?

In my experience players did rise far too quickly and far too much for their ability. I ended up with players at Norwich, Swansea, Reading, Southampton etc all over 80-rated, Real Madrid players all around 100 and my signings, who were around 70-75 when I started, rose to between 85-100 within three seasons. It ended up with me playing super fast games in the Champions League because all teams had crazy stats.

If it is still bad what are the consequences of turning player development off? The following questions are regarding if you do turn the player development to OFF

All players stay at their original ratings that they are in exhibition matches. I don't think players get worse with age, which isn't much of an issue because they barely did anyways with development on. I don't know if they still retire though, but if they do, then signing a 35-year old is still probably a financial waste. The main consequence is that you no longer have a youth team, that's disabled, and signing young players becomes less likely because you no longer are spotting potential. So, going for that 65-rated youngster isn't worth it now because they'll always stay at that rating. A bit rubbish, but better, in my opinion, than having everyone on really high stats. Think of it as League Mode with added content.

Do your players still rise/fall but the players in other teams do not?

Can't say for sure, but I presume that all players for both teams remain the same until they retire. But, you can still improve players through using the items and boots - though I'm ignoring it in the interests of keeping the player stats exactly as they are outside of ML

What happens when players retire, are you left with a world of mediocre players? Do any good youngsters come in with good ratings?

That's a really good point - I presume players do retire, so you could be right, all that will be left are players rated low. Maybe those players who retire become regens as usual but are now rated exactly as they were when they retired?

What is the point in hiring coaches and such if there is no player development?

Your coaches still have a rating for reading the opposition, for those tactical teamtalks etc - not much but at least they do something. At least there is still a use for scouts and physios though.

Do players still drop in ability as they get older?

I think that`s it, thanks for any help and advice I`m so undecided whether to turn the player development on or off. I really want a long lasting game. I`m planning on starting with Liverpool

Answers in bold! :)

Last edited:
@Suuuuupertalk

Thanks so much mate for taking the time to reply to all my questions. It has really helped me out :D I`m definitely going to play with Player Development OFF now. As you say, if I wanted I could still improve players through using the items and boots.

It would be great to know the answer to;

That's a really good point - I presume players do retire, so you could be right, all that will be left are players rated low. Maybe those players who retire become regens as usual but are now rated exactly as they were when they retired?

If anyone knows?

Thanks again mate

I can't say for sure, but it might be that the players just don't age at all (and thus don't retire). Again I can't guarantee this is the case, but I vaguely seem to remember it from some ML I played with player development off some years ago.

This should be of some help. ;)

formnh7.jpg

cheers

Having a blast on this now, even though I've started terribly. Serie A on Superstar is HARD. My Fiorentina team are pretty decent, my best player is Jovetic rated at 82 and most players are between 70-80 so they're fairly decent, but Serie A has a lot of tough clubs in there. Three games in, three narrow defeats, bottom of the table but I do have a Europa League campagn to do in my first season.

I'd definitely recommend this set up - original line ups, player development off, no boots or items, -1 game speed, set defence levels to 'defensive' in the tactical assistance screen in gamepan (I think it makes both teams play a more considered game), and voila, you have League Mode with Europe and transfers integrated into it, and games play like they do in exhibition mode. It's really great fun.

I think the fact that players don't develop doesn't actually effect their skills too much, it just prevents everyone from becoming physical supermen. Player development seems to make everyone super fast hulks. This, I don't miss. The result is that my 71 rated striker still makes a decent impact while having limitations. No longer being able to train him into a 100m sprinter, and for other players in other teams to not be able to do this, is great.

I'm also loving Fiorentina's default 3-5-2 formation and tactics. My games get compressed into technical midfield battles, they're so much fun. Tough, but fun.

Last edited:
For anyone interested, I've posted a Master League video series over in the video thread. I'm playing with Norwich on superstar difficulty. Might start posting here as well if people enjoy watching. I edit the matches into 4-5 min videos, and at the end of each video I re-show "the moment of the game", which can be the best goal, an important tackle, a great save etc.

This is the first video in the series, have uploaded five so far:

FIXTURE 1 vs MAN UTD

YouTube - PES 13 Master League-Norwich City vs Manchester United

Just finished my first season with Toulouse FC and I managed to pull off an 8th place finish in D2, which I'm pretty proud of considering we were getting hammered at the start of the season. Another highlight is my AMF Niellendner finishing top of the Assists charts. He and my CB Nouhei also made it into the team of the season. So overall a good season despite the board or whoever saying it was unacceptable.

Three players have already negotiated moves away from the club after I refused to meet their silly wage demands, so unfortunately Castolis, Minandinho and Houhleorhnerg or whatever his name is are off elsewhere, so I have a couple of gaps to fill. With Minandinho leaving it puts me in dire need of a striker, so that's top of the wish list.

Slumped to 216th in the Club Rankings which is pretty disappointing as I was hoping to maybe get towards 200th place, but oh well.

Looking forward to seeing if I can try and get a CF in with a bit of quality about him, or invest in a fast full back who knows. Anyway, I'll probably drop another update half way through my second season. Cheers for reading!

Having a blast on this now, even though I've started terribly. Serie A on Superstar is HARD. My Fiorentina team are pretty decent, my best player is Jovetic rated at 82 and most players are between 70-80 so they're fairly decent, but Serie A has a lot of tough clubs in there. Three games in, three narrow defeats, bottom of the table but I do have a Europa League campagn to do in my first season.

I'd definitely recommend this set up - original line ups, player development off, no boots or items, -1 game speed, set defence levels to 'defensive' in the tactical assistance screen in gamepan (I think it makes both teams play a more considered game), and voila, you have League Mode with Europe and transfers integrated into it, and games play like they do in exhibition mode. It's really great fun.

I think the fact that players don't develop doesn't actually effect their skills too much, it just prevents everyone from becoming physical supermen. Player development seems to make everyone super fast hulks. This, I don't miss. The result is that my 71 rated striker still makes a decent impact while having limitations. No longer being able to train him into a 100m sprinter, and for other players in other teams to not be able to do this, is great.

I'm also loving Fiorentina's default 3-5-2 formation and tactics. My games get compressed into technical midfield battles, they're so much fun. Tough, but fun.

:) you are a persistent man my friend!!!

set defence levels to 'defensive' in the tactical assistance screen?

what you mean? to deep? u mean defensive lines???

@Suuuuupertalk

Thanks so much mate for taking the time to reply to all my questions. It has really helped me out :D I`m definitely going to play with Player Development OFF now. As you say, if I wanted I could still improve players through using the items and boots.

It would be great to know the answer to;

If anyone knows?

Thanks again mate
Indeed, is a good point. I would prefer players does not get older with development off, and does not retire at all. It would be like a league mode with transfers and the basic club management ML has.

Last edited:
I'm in my first season with ML so whenever I finish season one I'll keep an eye out for player ages and also those on the end of season retirement list.

:) you are a persistent man my friend!!!

:))

Not playing anywhere near as much as before but dipping in and out now and again, playing it as a straight league mode with Fiorentina's own players is so refreshing. Feels more realostic than starting with ML defaults, like a manager taking over the club with all their existing players in tact and where the fans haven't randomly deserted the club (as happens if you choose default ML players).

I still can't believe the difference though without player development. Last night I won a Europa League match 1-0 away at Athletico Bilbao, it was slow, very continental-like, and I was hanging on at the end.

I think the problem was that before, I played ML with development on and started in Div 2 with the made up ML players. By the ime I got promoted all the players in the top league had a season or two's development under their belt and were well in their way to being as fast as Usain Bolt. So getting promoted saw the game instantly play more fast and direct than it otherwise should have done.

if you put development of there is no point to sing young players? As they dont develop?

(Or only by those young players 70+ ratings at start anyway)

if you put development of there is no point to sing young players? As they dont develop?

(Or only by those young players 70+ ratings at start anyway)

Basically, yes. It's not ideal. I suppose you could make up your own rules, say, if you have any young players under 70-rated then perhaps you can choose to apply items and boots etc to boost them up a bit. I've considered doing that but only for players under a certain rating.

I don't think I'll bother though, IMO with the game the way it is out of the box, if you have a player rated at, say, 73, but he has good attributes in key areas, then he'll still prove to be a decent player. After all, he's now competing against top, world class players who are only 10 points higher than them anyways. Personally I tend to look for players based on stuff like what player cards they have rather than raw stats.

But at least that player, if he's say a winger rated at 73 but has decent attributes like crossing and player cards like dribbling and darting run etc, then they'll still compete because most other players in the game will also remain at their base stats too, usually between 70-80. It's only a small number of players who start off the game at 85+, so at least that remains. Like I've said many a time before, after 3 seasons or so you start seeing almost every player for the top clubs like Real Madrid rated over 100, and 'average' players who are around the 70 mark end up being 85+.

It's not ideal but for me anyways this new way is much much better. I've noticed already in just a handful of games that because everyone is at a 'normal' level in terms of their physical ability, then player cards shine through a lot more. What I found after three seasons into my old ML with player development on, was that because half of the league I was playing in now had players rated 85+, everyone's pace, dribbling and passing was through the roof. This of course meant that the CPU was playing very direct, reacting to the stats of the players it was controlling. So, players would pound down the pitch at high speed, everyone had insant control, inflated passing stats meant that the CPU was slamming lightning fast and direct through balls and passes down the pitch because the high stats made them go for those kind of passes. Oh, and dribbling of course meant that the likes of Aguero could waltz pretty much through your body in order to get past you.

With player development off, the CPU doesn't attempt to play long raking hard passes, or giant through balls, constantly counter-attacking. Players don't have the inflated stats to attempt it, so the game plays a shorter, more possession minded game.

Last edited:
Yeh true key stats matter more than overall.

That reminds me what is up with the ratings. I recall seeing for example gameiro of PSG overall like 65 but if you check his stats he has like 80+ for most attributes.

How the hell did they end up overall like 65 when average of his stats is about 78 and in key areas for his position prob over 80.

Wtf. I noticed this in a few players

400px-AS_Rodos_Logo.svg.png

Well as Champions, started off quite rusty in first 2 league games, both draws.

However on my 3rd game, away to Porto, hit form and won 4-0.

Then went on to our opening CL game away to Dinamo Zagreb, won 6-1. so going good.

Have Tottenham and PSG in the group also.

FD

After reading various statements about the various enhancements playing with player growth off, I'm considering beginning a new ML. Am I right in saying that by doing this, the game will be more challenging?

Please bear in mind I will be using the ML defaults and building a squad.

After reading various statements about the various enhancements playing with player growth off, I'm considering beginning a new ML. Am I right in saying that by doing this, the game will be more challenging?

Please bear in mind I will be using the ML defaults and building a squad.

thinking this myself, the way i see it only difference is you wont waste time buying youth/young players that are low rated.

Guess how challenging that would be depends on how good the players are that you start with and what transfer budget/standing your club has. My Fiorentina team have around £20m to spend and players around 70-80 ratings, but it's really tough on superstar because Serie A have a LOT of decent teams in. So far I'm bottom of Serie A after five games and without a win. I had the chance to win away to Bologna but messed up a 90th minute penalty....

Speaking of ratings, I have Jovetic, a star and rated at 82 but it's been young forward, Ljajic, who has been the better performer so far, his dribbling is great, and he's only rated at 71 overall. Goes to show that lower-rated players can be a force in the game with the right key stats and player cards.

My advice would be to maybe trying but keep your old save game so you can revert back to your original ML if you don't like it.

Last edited:
Guess how challenging that would be depends on how good the players are that you start with and what transfer budget/standing your club has. My Fiorentina team have around £20m to spend and players around 70-80 ratings, but it's really tough on superstar because Serie A have a LOT of decent teams in. So far I bottom of Serie A after five games and without a win. I had the chance to win away to Bologna but messed up a 90th minute penalty....

My advice would be to maybe trying but keep your old save game so you can revert back to your original ML if you don't like it.

I'm thinking of playing with Udinese or Swansea and trying to push them to a league title or champions league football.

It's your posts that have convinced me to give this a try actually. I'll probably play a few games tomorrow and see how I go.

Guess how challenging that would be depends on how good the players are that you start with and what transfer budget/standing your club has. My Fiorentina team have around £20m to spend and players around 70-80 ratings, but it's really tough on superstar because Serie A have a LOT of decent teams in. So far I'm bottom of Serie A after five games and without a win. I had the chance to win away to Bologna but messed up a 90th minute penalty....

Speaking of ratings, I have Jovetic, a star and rated at 82 but it's been young forward, Ljajic, who has been the better performer so far, his dribbling is great, and he's only rated at 71 overall. Goes to show that lower-rated players can be a force in the game with the right key stats and player cards.

yeh starting with ML default retards and unable to develop youth will be more challengin you will need money to make any progress.

I'm thinking of playing with Udinese or Swansea and trying to push them to a league title or champions league football.

It's your posts that have convinced me to give this a try actually. I'll probably play a few games tomorrow and see how I go.

sounds good so you have given up on the default master league roster you started?

I am in 2 minds whether to give the defaults a go but i think a better idea is just to pick a mid table/bottom of league team with real players and try to make them a top world team.

This way you get the same challenge as starting with the ML defaults but the squad will be known to you and you might have a few decent players.

I mean whats the difference between say Wigan and the defaults. Wigan will prob be much better than defaults but still one of the worst squads in the EPL so hopefully still somewhat of a challenge.

sounds good so you have given up on the default master league roster you started?

I am in 2 minds whether to give the defaults a go but i think a better idea is just to pick a mid table/bottom of league team with real players and try to make them a top world team.

This way you get the same challenge as starting with the ML defaults but the squad will be known to you and you might have a few decent players.

I mean whats the difference between say Wigan and the defaults. Wigan will prob be much better than defaults but still one of the worst squads in the EPL so hopefully still somewhat of a challenge.

Really not too sure, the player growth in the ML is silly though my AMF went 64 to 72 in a season so imagine what it's like at the top clubs!

Yeah that's what I'm toying up, whether to play with the real squads or not. I mean, it'd remove having to get promoted which is one of the fun things about building a team.

That's why they should get rid of the overall stat as it's never about it in the first place. I've the slightest idea why they introduced it. It was never about it before and never will be.

Really not too sure, the player growth in the ML is silly though my AMF went 64 to 72 in a season so imagine what it's like at the top clubs!

Yeah that's what I'm toying up, whether to play with the real squads or not. I mean, it'd remove having to get promoted which is one of the fun things about building a team.

Why not get yourself an OF with a proper D2 i.e. Championship, pick a team and try promoting with development off? ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom