PES 2012 Demo 2 Talk

Keepers are seriously killing it for me, shots are just going straight through them, in the middle of the goal at varying power.

Would much rather zero error was added than this, the fact they are sticking a foot out at these shots is just horrendous.

I am just baffled the Greyhound team can do such brilliant reactive and properly animated keepers for the Wii and these are like Sensible Soccer!

I thought the keepers were getting an overhaul? As a xbox360 player I didn't see the first demo, but they were supposed to be worse?

First goal:
From 25 yards a shot was made. Keeper dove to the corner... while the ball was going through the middle... huh?
Second goal:
I made an error and they got a clear shot. But it 'happily' was a weak one straight to the middle. Goalie pounced (!?!) it away... into his own goal.

And it's so sad since I love the game. The fieldplay is great, dribbling is how it should be and counters are terrifying. But it's so frustrating when you lose or draw by a strange mistake of your goalie :(.

If they can, fix this and you have a game good enough to last the coming year.

Firstly I really like this game. It is the more enjoyable of the two demos

It is less floaty than the previous demo and feels like it's a half way point between last years game and the first demo for players moving more fluid and being too floaty

Players still run at you but not as ridiculously as they did

Negatives are the keepers and I think it's too easy to score from crosses and from outside the box. In five games I scored 4 screamers and seven from headers on top player. Mario Gomez is unstoppable. Games also seem very high scoring

Opponent AI needs increased as does defensive aggression

Last edited:
Downloaded Demo 2 and played about 10 games last night.

I love the improved AI. Superior to anything i have played before on any football game. It really seems to respond to tinkering with the setting too. The player individuality is very good in some areas although the issue with everyone being a Santley Matthews type dribbler is apparent. Strangely this did not seem to bother me that much. The issue i had with this was that it seemed to weigh more in favour of the CPU as its defending was superior to mine and i have struggled to regain possession (FYI i lost 5 games, drew 2 and won 3). Once i get more used to defending i hope that this becomes less of a visible issue.

CPU is obviously more ruthless this year and for me this is fantastic. It is a real challenge and this will be the greatest contribution to Master Leagues longevity (although some of the dedicated ML features do look pretty good as well). The AI will punish your errors rather than contriving to sky the ball from 6 yards. The variation in goals is also great. Shooting is much improved and the ball seems to have lost that unpredictablity where you are never sure whether it will turn into a beach ball as you swing your foot and sail off in the stratosphere.

Passing, partinularly ground passing, now has a good degree of error. You have to weight your passes accurately to ensure they reach their intended target.

However, there were a few problems that i hope can be ironed out.

Firstly, the keepers are just not very good. Again. They just do not seem to stretch out their arms to actually save shots. They palm too many weak shots and i saw a frankly weird tendancy to try and save pea rolling digs at goal with the legs (and miss) when it seemed easier to just step in front of the ball and pick it up.

Secondly, and i hope that this is just a demo issue on the 360 as other people have mentioned it, the players seem to stutter or double back when they are in possession of the ball. They basically stop running with the ball even though i have not taken my fingers or thumbs off the directional stick/buttons. I think i have read somewhere that this is a demo issue and something to do with the compression of the file. I hope so as it was happening to me on far too many occasions during my games.

Also, i detected a slight micro pause at times most frequently when a goal had been scored (funnily the same thing used to happen to me playing FIFA 11 when using custom chants/music). Again i hope that this is just an issue with file compression but if anyone can confirm this i'd appreciate it.

Secondly, and i hope that this is just a demo issue on the 360 as other people have mentioned it, the players seem to stutter or double back when they are in possession of the ball. They basically stop running with the ball even though i have not taken my fingers or thumbs off the directional stick/buttons. I think i have read somewhere that this is a demo issue and something to do with the compression of the file. I hope so as it was happening to me on far too many occasions during my games.
Same here, little "Lags" and stuttering on the 360.
What i don't understand is the fact, that the graphics before and after a game (when players leaving the field) are clear and not blury.

Same here, little "Lags" and stuttering on the 360.
What i don't understand is the fact, that the graphics before and after a game (when players leaving the field) are clear and not blury.

Graphics need work. They have no sharpness at all during the games. The player models are pretty basic. Hopefully this is something that is being/ has been worked on for final release.

Still, i'd rather have everything else in place before turning attention to graphics and presentation than, as Rutter from EA said in relation to FIFA this year, have AI as the last thing that is worked on during the game development cycle.

this is my first Pes game for a while now, last ones have been awful and i couldnt even play Pes 2011 because of the swaying camera.

Cons

- Passing can be a little strange. it takes to much control of the aiming/guesses (wrongly) who i want to pass it too. Also i feel Air Balls are too accurate.

- camera. DEAR GOD ADD MORE CAMERA OPTIONS. let me take off the sway and let me zoom out. how can you leave out something so basic.

- crossing - why do i have some control over all my passes, then for crossing its just totally computer controlled? stupid

- For shooting they shouldve added a Low Drive shot (like messi does every game), by tapping X twice. that wouldve been good.

- what's happened to Arrows and Defence-high/low in the tactics screen? they were so useful and surely would have worked great as a guide for movements with this new great AI??

- the manual 'second player movement' thing doesnt work. on assisted the players sprint when you pick them, on manual they slowly walk everywhere and so is inneffective. Also, I thought a semi assisted option wouldnt have gone a miss here... Click R3, aim, Let go - whereever you let go is the direction the player would run - meaning you could do diagonal runs and such.

- No pro clubs mode

thats about all the negatives i can think off right now. I prefer to pick out the negatives because thats where the improvements can be made. otherwise, overall, a fantastic game. To bad i'll have to buy fifa still because of Pro clubs mode (which is fantastic)

I finally played the demo last night (Xbox).

It seems to play better than 2011 in that the reaction times are better and the overall feel. It still doesn't feel all that smooth though. Keepers are pretty much the same, i see no difference there.

So what's everyone opinion about being able to dominate possession far to easily, not saying the cpu is to easy as their scoring nearly 3 a game but their only winning the ball back and hitting me on the counter rather than trying to control the game.

So what's everyone opinion about being able to dominate possession far to easily, not saying the cpu is to easy as their scoring nearly 3 a game but their only winning the ball back and hitting me on the counter rather than trying to control the game.

CPU doesn't retain the ball anywhere near the amount it should. Playing last night, I was finishing with 65% easily. Not even by knocking it around the defence, but around midfield where the CPU should make a bit more of an effort to get the ball back (but not resort to ridiculous pressure like FIFA 11).

And when the CPU has the ball, it doesn't knock the ball around as much as I'd like. FIFA 12 has this much better, possession is always around 50-50 each as FIFA's CPU will pass the ball back and around looking for an opening whereas PES goes straight on the attack. At least it's not as bad as demo 1 but it does need some adjusting.

Hi Chaps,

Downloaded both FIFA & PES demo last night.

Tried Fifa first and have to say, it was a bit too quick for my liking and faster than i thought it woudl be (i prefer more sedate, thoughtful gameplay).

Tried pes, and have to say i was blown away. For anyone who knows me i was a big advocate of teh original pes1 back in the day and this captured me as much as that one and then pes4 & 5 did.

Definetly moved up a level from the first demo (which was also good) and in teh one game i had I was completely imersed from first to final whistle.

I played Spurs v Rangers - profesional level, wide cam, -1 speed and it was just absolutely spot on. Even the slightly shadowy Allianz arena couldnt dampen my enthusiasm.

For spurs, lennon and bale were always threatening and drew a number of free kicks but rangers played in asuch a physical way that defoe just couldnt get any time or space in the centre. When they attacked, they definetly were relying on aerial balls which dawson and gallas handled manfully, whilst gomes flapped at a couple of crosses.

The goal when it came, was a nice pass from modric into space that lennon galloped onto and put a low cross in for defoe to dive head in at the near post in a bit of a scramble. what was very cool though was that mccullough actually put a challenge in on the pint sized striker and the ball caught defoes head via a glancing blow and the defenders boot simultaneously. It was joyously messy and just showed the sort of depth & subtlety that the game is capable of.

I absolutely love the passing (having set it to zero bars) as every single pass i made i had to think about and quite a few went wrong - no more pingballing up the field.

Quite simply a triumph!

db

that will be easily fixed before retail konami are not that blind not to c that, iv experienced that too, but once i put the gamespeed to -2 never noticed it at all, -2 is great as well once u adjust to the pace cause it really does bring out the indiviuality for each player :-) brilliant

This is a big problem in football games and always has been. It will only get worse if you play a weaker team as well.

I edit the game play each year and this is something I always try to address. The non human team should pass with intelligence and hold the ball and then work hard to get it back.

Almost a game breaker doesn't mean a game breaker.

What I really hate is that every year there has to be something like this in Pes.
Take last year, somthing similar, the jogging bug. This year the jogging is better but still looks pretty glitchy.
They can't replicate a man running in a football game. How in the world they call themselves animators?
Some things are so bad: look at players' legs when running, look at the goalkeepers, god dammit.

It's been 4 years like that, what is wrong with Konami?
4 years in a row with the same incredibly stupid gk animations. Look at the gks staring at the ball and then making a super save while jumping like frogs and landing on thir belly and tell me that's right.
Look at some passing animations and try to compare them with real life. How many times do you see CBs and midfielders using the tip of their foot to pass the ball, while they aren't under pressure? In real life this doesn't really happen, the players use their interior part of the foot to pass the ball. In pes this happens all the time, it's like a fencing move.

I don't like Fifa. I wish I liked it, though.
I don't want another year without any decent football game. At least we9le is there for me.

Hi Chaps,

Downloaded PES demo last night.

I played Spurs v Rangers - profesional level, wide cam, -1 speed

db

Exactly what i did last night too, as my first game. I drew 1-1. Modric and vdV were drawing FKs just outside the box. I equalised with Lennon after a nice cross from Bale.

I since preferred playing with Club America though, as their players/stats are more what i'm used to.

Db, what is the passing bar you're talking about?

Last edited:
To put it shortly, Fifa seems to be the best football game and PES the best game of football.

I'll put it in detail when I have time, but so far I love and hate a lot of things of both demos, and being surprised by how much they have changed their products, specially PES. I liked PES 2011 concept but found it rather depressing in many departments. This one seems to be almost great. Enjoying the demo a lot by now.

CPU doesn't retain the ball anywhere near the amount it should. Playing last night, I was finishing with 65% easily. Not even by knocking it around the defence, but around midfield where the CPU should make a bit more of an effort to get the ball back (but not resort to ridiculous pressure like FIFA 11).

And when the CPU has the ball, it doesn't knock the ball around as much as I'd like. FIFA 12 has this much better, possession is always around 50-50 each as FIFA's CPU will pass the ball back and around looking for an opening whereas PES goes straight on the attack. At least it's not as bad as demo 1 but it does need some adjusting.

This is literally the exact opposite of what happens. Are you sure you've played enough FIFA?

I agree that the PES AI should have more possession and control the match better, but it actually tries to build up a game. FIFA AI just passes like every team is Barcelona until it can make a through ball or a cross. They almost never built up play because FIFA does not allow actual midfiled play.

Exactly what i did last night too, as my first game. I drew 1-1. Modric and vdV were drawing FKs just outside the box. I equalised with Lennon after a nice cross from Bale.

I since preferred playing with Club America though, as their players/stats are more what i'm used to.

Db, what is the passing bar you're talking about?

hello mate, thanks for the information you sent me via PM, was much appreciated.

One of the settings options when you pause (sorry cant recall which one off top of my head) has 4 bars and controls how much AI assiatnce you get in passing.
I took off all the bars and it seemed to make the ball behave just more natrually.

For example, you know sometimes your cb has teh ball in defence and you knowck it around to maybe the fb or other cb, well i did this - Gallas to Dawson but didnt bother directing it just pressing x and i played it behind dawson rather than to him. he had to turn and go and get the ball, and suddenly from being totally in control rangers wide man began pressing me as he quite rightly sensed an opportunity brewing.

db

This is literally the exact opposite of what happens. Are you sure you've played enough FIFA?

I agree that the PES AI should have more possession and control the match better, but it actually tries to build up a game. FIFA AI just passes like every team is Barcelona until it can make a through ball or a cross. They almost never built up play because FIFA does not allow actual midfiled play.

First touch doesn't exist in that game, that's why every team can play that way.

Can someone help me here?
Although the A.I movement is pretty impressive in the demo, I can't seem to get my attackers to make a forward run, they always seem to drop back into space.
Is the only way to get them to make a forward run to use the trigger run option on the right stick or have I just been unlucky up to this point?

Can someone help me here?
Although the A.I movement is pretty impressive in the demo, I can't seem to get my attackers to make a forward run, they always seem to drop back into space.
Is the only way to get them to make a forward run to use the trigger run option on the right stick or have I just been unlucky up to this point?

Try switching your Tactics to Quick-Counter, you can also up the Player Support level to 20 if required.

Does anyone know if you can direct the angle of the forward run on players using the right stick? I am using this quite a lot to make players off the ball run forward, but only ever seems to make them run in a straight line forward

You can switch onto manual instead of assisted in the settings then you get full control but don't think you can just get the player to run at any other angle than straight forward on assisted.

Back
Top Bottom