PES 2012 Demo 2 Talk

Does anyone know if you can direct the angle of the forward run on players using the right stick? I am using this quite a lot to make players off the ball run forward, but only ever seems to make them run in a straight line forward

Yes, in Cursor Config, set it to Manual instead of Assisted. It's the option just below Assisted/Fixed/Semi Cursor Change. You can direct the runs in any direction with this, even backwards to drop deep for a lay-off.

Demo 2 is much better than Demo 1, even though shooting got a bit too powerful (unrealistic) but hey its a game! We don't play 90 minutes like real life, it can't be 100% realistic.

Still i hope they not done tweaking stuff. Like goal keeper positioning could be better. I feel they are too much outside the goal. Defender positioning could also be better when defending a cross.

I'm not going to lie. I really liked demo 1. What has happened to demo 2? It's so fast. It honestly reminds me more of the speed of PES 2008 than the first demo. -2 is still too fast and much faster than the -1 i played demo 1 on. Passing is improved. Goalkeepers are still awful. I had a headed goal go through Friedel in my first game. By through i literally mean through his body as if the laws of physics did not need apply at that precise moment. The ball feels more than ever like it's attached by string. I am actually really disappointed because i put so many hours into the first demo and really liked the core of it but this feels, i don't know, different.

After reading through everybody's post, is it just my demo? I don't understand how nobody apart from PES12GONBEGOOD is feeling that the game plays worse.

Last edited:
I'm not going to lie. I really liked demo 1. What has happened to demo 2? It's so fast. It honestly reminds me more of the speed of PES 2008 than the first demo. -2 is still too fast and much faster than the -1 i played demo 1 on. Passing is improved. Goalkeepers are still awful. I had a headed goal go through Friedel in my first game. By through i literally mean through his body as if the laws of physics did not need apply at that precise moment. The ball feels more than ever like it's attached by string. I am actually really disappointed because i put so many hours into the first demo and really liked the core of it but this feels, i don't know, different.

After reading through everybody's post, is it just my demo? I don't understand how nobody apart from PES12GONBEGOOD is feeling that the game plays worse.

I'm feeling it, too. Certain aspects of the game were toned down, tackling is easier, the CPU-AI isn't as lethal anymore as in demo1, containment seems more automated...

Demo 2 is now more like a mixture between PES 2011 and demo 1 of PES 2012.

That said I didn't like demo1 very much because midfielders were able to dribble through defenses like Maradonna in his best times and because of the passing that was too assisted...

In fact many of the problems of demo 1 were fixed but the feeling changed because of it and I have to play more matches to see if I like the new gameplay.

Its not that its faster. Go play with the south amarican teams and see for your self.

It's just the crazy fast players look way too fast, Robben, Ribery, Lennon, Bale, Eto'o, ect ect. I know they fast in real life, but damn! lol too much.

Well... after some more testing...... jesus christ... lol CROSSING is indeed a BIG PROBLEM.

All you have to do is run down the wing with bale, lennon or what ever fast player you want to place in the wing and cross the ball. THE ATTACKERS ARE AHEAD OF THE DEFENDERS DURING THE CROSS! The central defenders stay back letting the attackers free. Easy headers all over the place.

Why aren't people talking more about this major problem????? This is super game breaking. Play online and just cross cross cross lol. Dumb central defender AI allows easy goals.

People bombard jon murphy bald ass with this!! PLEASE FIX IT WITH PATCH!!!!! Also people tell that crazy guy at WENB, Adam, i bet he ban you!!! LOL

i agree, they really should fix the crossing bug. Especially with Gomez and Müller, you can score far too easy with headers after crossing.

I played several epic matches with Bayern against Inter and i have to admit i'm already addicted. Of course this game has some problems but playing it is so emotional.

Now i need a break. Loosing to Inter 0-1 after hitting the post twice. Damn i played such a brilliant game. Ribery was such a joy. Ahhh, i love this game.

I've not seen much of this "toned down AI", I've seen some bloody lethal moves against me on Professional. Was playing as Spurs against Juventus last night and Klasic, Quagliarella tore me to shreds again & again with great vision and running on and off the ball. Next I was up vs Bayern, as Roma. The Robbery duo got one each from cutting inside and weaving magic, infact they played so well and realistic that I ended up boasting about them to the missus, who sadly wasn't bothered in the slightest.

I might not even buy PES 2012 because of this lame exploit. I can live with the goal keepers not being too good, but being able to beat the CPU at any difficulty so easily with this glitch and scoring goals like this against people... THAT is game breaking. All they have to do is fix defender AI.

2zhdw79.jpg

MS paint FTW!

I might not even buy PES 2012 because of this lame exploit. I can live with the goal keepers not being too good, but being able to beat the CPU at any difficulty so easily with this glitch and scoring goals like this against people... THAT is game breaking. All they have to do is fix defender AI.

2zhdw79.jpg

MS paint FTW!

They do need to fix this, or else online won't even be an option. Sad thing is it's not human controlled players that can exploit this. Just beat Munich with Inter 3-1 and their only goal was a cross where Gomez was alone. Header looked nice so I watched the replay and my players positioning was exactly like your drawing there. I then played with Spurs and when I was down the wing I was being pressured so I didn't have time to press the L2 modifier crossed it and I got a free header with pavlyuchenko. Looked at replay and again, exactly like your chart there.

They do need to fix this, or else online won't even be an option. Sad thing is it's not human controlled players that can exploit this. Just beat Munich with Inter 3-1 and their only goal was a cross where Gomez was alone. Header looked nice so I watched the replay and my players positioning was exactly like your drawing there. I then played with Spurs and when I was down the wing I was being pressured so I didn't have time to press the L2 modifier crossed it and I got a free header with pavlyuchenko. Looked at replay and again, exactly like your chart there.

Yep. I have done this many times and same result. I wish i could post this over at WENB but im banned from there. Maybe i can make another account but they probably ban me again for posting this lol.

Yep. I have done this many times and same result. I wish i could post this over at WENB but im banned from there. Maybe i can make another account but they probably ban me again for posting this lol.

I don't have a twitter account but if you do, you should let murphy see this.

I've not seen much of this "toned down AI", I've seen some bloody lethal moves against me on Professional. Was playing as Spurs against Juventus last night and Klasic, Quagliarella tore me to shreds again & again with great vision and running on and off the ball. Next I was up vs Bayern, as Roma. The Robbery duo got one each from cutting inside and weaving magic, infact they played so well and realistic that I ended up boasting about them to the missus,who sadly wasn't bothered in the slightest.

:LMAO:

2zhdw79.jpg

MS paint FTW!

Have tried reducing your Defensive Line or bringing out the keeper to meet the cross ? I know you shouldnt have to. Not seen this myself, but havent had time to play it a great deal, sadly.

Have tried reducing your Defensive Line or bringing out the keeper to meet the cross ? I know you shouldnt have to. Not seen this myself, but havent had time to play it a great deal, sadly.

What you mean by reducing my defensive line? As for sending out my the GK, he wouldn't be able to reach the ball.

Just sent jon murphy a tweet.. crosses fingers. You guys should do same.... :COAT:

Sadly this is how the full game is going to be, so PES 2012 will suck I guess but still..
Biggest problems in PES 2012 that make so many people on these forums hate/dislike the game :

- Reverse catch up bug where u can't catch the attacker once he is past you even if ur top speed is 99 and his is 50.

- Crossing bug where the defenders let players have free headers.

- Close control of players is absolutely ridicilous, its like the ball is attached with a string to every player who runs with the ball, even players with 60 dribble accuracy make such close touches that only Messi would when sprinting.

- Goalkeepers are not good enough.

- Doesn't seem to be much of a difference between players like in 2011, there you could clearly see the difference between Messi or Iniesta or Xavi etc... here the difference is much less noticable.

- Why is there no acceleration stat??? Acceleration is one of the most important things in soccer, without it it means that explosive power/Agility will dictate that burst of pace which means even players with bad acceleration and speed like Xavi will be able to skip past players with ease.

- Why do players still run on rails when getting a pass or whatever, and sometimes you can't sprint aswell in some situations, why is this game still too automated and the computer still forces you to do things you don't want?

- Animations are horrible but I can live with that if the other areas were fixed...

Well... after some more testing...... jesus christ... lol CROSSING is indeed a BIG PROBLEM.

All you have to do is run down the wing with bale, lennon or what ever fast player you want to place in the wing and cross the ball. THE ATTACKERS ARE AHEAD OF THE DEFENDERS DURING THE CROSS! The central defenders stay back letting the attackers free. Easy headers all over the place.

Why aren't people talking more about this major problem????? This is super game breaking. Play online and just cross cross cross lol. Dumb central defender AI allows easy goals.

People bombard jon murphy bald ass with this!! PLEASE FIX IT WITH PATCH!!!!! Also people tell that crazy guy at WENB, Adam, i bet he ban you!!! LOL

calm down
first, let's see if the final game will have this problem, then bombard Jon Murphy :))

I like the second demo better than the first, but overall, I'd say Konami has done very little to improve from PES 2011. There's really nothing there. Some of the smaller things that was annoying in 2011 seems to be even more annoying now; players on rails, a player not wanting to take the ball when it's close because of some script, really awkward turning animations this year (a lot worse than last year's), lots of these overhead-kick style clearances, extremely shit cursor changing, lots of really shitty rebounds from goalkeepers (with that horribly unrealistic animation), and it's generally a bit too fast for its own good. At -1 or -2 the speed is OK, but it just doesn't look good, because of the ridiculously shoddy animations. I can't believe after so many years, that they still have this extremely blocky robot-like animation style. And of course, the atmospheres at the games are a joke, of course, but we are used to that.

Apart from those issues, the gameplay isn't bad at all, it's just not THAT good either. You need to build up your play a bit more than last year, which is good, but it's not a massive improvement. Generally the game suffers a lot from being very "scripted" still, in that it doesn't feel very organic, you can REALLY feel that the players are moving in these straight lines very robot-like, the animations are what, 7-8 years old now? As much as I prefer PES to FIFA, Konami could definitely learn something about animating the moves from FIFA, which are a few years ahead in that department.

I don't think the game is horrible at all. It's just that it hasn't really moved forward from last year at all, in my opinion. Some more close control, harder to defend, have to build up play a bit more, and that's it. Seems like something that could've been a patch made by someone on this forum for PES 2011, to be honest.

So, what can really save this game now are improved game modes. But I'm sure we'll see nothing like the SWOS-like format the fans have been crying out for for years, and still have a very one dimensional silly "Master League" with two divisions, and all challenges really over in a couple of seasons. I just cannot for the life of me see why Konami doesn't get it. They've hit their heads against the wall for so many years now, I'm kind of speechless. If it could be done in 92 with SWOS, why can't it be done in 2011? Hire a few of the guys from this forum, and we'd have the ultimate footy game within a year, absolute 100% certain.

But, I guess it's about the light bulb theory. Make something that wears out after a little while, improve it a little bit, and make people buy more and more. It works. It's just a bit sad that we're falling for this stupid trick year after year.

Sorry, rant over.

I like the second demo better than the first, but overall, I'd say Konami has done very little to improve from PES 2011. There's really nothing there. Some of the smaller things that was annoying in 2011 seems to be even more annoying now; players on rails, a player not wanting to take the ball when it's close because of some script, really awkward turning animations this year (a lot worse than last year's), lots of these overhead-kick style clearances, extremely shit cursor changing, lots of really shitty rebounds from goalkeepers (with that horribly unrealistic animation), and it's generally a bit too fast for its own good. At -1 or -2 the speed is OK, but it just doesn't look good, because of the ridiculously shoddy animations. I can't believe after so many years, that they still have this extremely blocky robot-like animation style. And of course, the atmospheres at the games are a joke, of course, but we are used to that.

Apart from those issues, the gameplay isn't bad at all, it's just not THAT good either. You need to build up your play a bit more than last year, which is good, but it's not a massive improvement. Generally the game suffers a lot from being very "scripted" still, in that it doesn't feel very organic, you can REALLY feel that the players are moving in these straight lines very robot-like, the animations are what, 7-8 years old now? As much as I prefer PES to FIFA, Konami could definitely learn something about animating the moves from FIFA, which are a few years ahead in that department.

I don't think the game is horrible at all. It's just that it hasn't really moved forward from last year at all, in my opinion. Some more close control, harder to defend, have to build up play a bit more, and that's it. Seems like something that could've been a patch made by someone on this forum for PES 2011, to be honest.

So, what can really save this game now are improved game modes. But I'm sure we'll see nothing like the SWOS-like format the fans have been crying out for for years, and still have a very one dimensional silly "Master League" with two divisions, and all challenges really over in a couple of seasons. I just cannot for the life of me see why Konami doesn't get it. They've hit their heads against the wall for so many years now, I'm kind of speechless. If it could be done in 92 with SWOS, why can't it be done in 2011? Hire a few of the guys from this forum, and we'd have the ultimate footy game within a year, absolute 100% certain.

But, I guess it's about the light bulb theory. Make something that wears out after a little while, improve it a little bit, and make people buy more and more. It works. It's just a bit sad that we're falling for this stupid trick year after year.

Sorry, rant over.

Konami says it's committed to a "long process" of rebuilding the Pro Evolution Soccer series, but it doesn't think there's a "huge gap" between its game and EA's.

Speaking to trade mag MCV, UK GM Pete Stone said the company's "gradually" catching up to the recent critical acclaim enjoyed by the FIFA series.

"I don't think there's a massive gap in terms of playability [between PES and FIFA]. There are certain areas we need to improve, but it's not a huge gap - and we're gradually closing it," he said.

"We may not outsell FIFA, but we can sell enough so that it's good from our point of view. Don't think of it as a battle where we're trying to 'win', or outsell them, because that's not necessarily the case.

"We've made progress and that's beginning to be noticed, but we're also going to spend a few years rebuilding PES and sales. It's a long process."

The first details on this year's FIFA emerged this week. We expect PES to show its hand before E3 in June.

I agree with all that - PES still hasn't moved to next gen for me still not open enough. Critism for PES seems to fall on deaf ears in these forums now which as shame yet for FIFA all the faults are disussed in minute detail. Even Konami admit it still has work to do to get to the gameplay and playability of FIFA

For the first time in years I've more or less pulled an all-nighter to play a video game. Maybe it's the fact my brain has a tendency to completely shut down when I'm tired, but I really didn't like it all that much. I've downloaded the PC demo and Yaïr's extender, so I could play longer games with more teams.

First up was the derby of Catalunya, Barcelona v Espanyol with me using the latter. Top player, fifteen minute game, green arrows for both teams. I was extremely disappointed to see I was able to outpossess Barcelona by 61% to their 39%, with Barca seemingly content to sit back, pull up a defensive wall and hit me on the break. I'd selected a very defensive formation with a modified long ball tactic, but they were the ones who sat back and let me do all the passing. When they finally got the ball they just moved it forward as fast as they could, but not like you'd expect them to. Xavi, the master of keeping things simple, more often than not chose to take on five or six defenders instead of playing the obvious pass to the man in space. Not once did they try to pass the ball backwards despite me trying desperately to cut off passing lanes and double up on the man in possession (which I did fairly well). The game ended in a 1-0 defeat with me having the majority of possession but unable to break their defensive structure. The only goal of the game was a low shot that went by my keeper, who seems completely unable to save a shot unless it's literally straight at him. I fear Master League will become extremely boring if I outplay every team I meet with my newly-promoted Master League team, despite the fact I'm usually getting realistic scorelines. The games just don't play out the way I want them to.

The good news is that playing 1v1 against my mates is extremely satisfying, even more so than in FIFA. Lots of creative football, different tactics and playing styles. One game I played as Sunderland v Man Utd I made my team defend extremely deep and narrow, hitting long balls towards Bendtner who then had to bring others into play. When it works, it's absolutely beautiful. Unfortunately everyone I meet online will do anything to win.

Ok so I played a few 15 min games on PES 2011 last night against a friend. 3 different leagues, all close great games. Some really nice movement off the ball. Shots felt like they were hit. Crosses, early crosses and chipped balls over the top all felt like they should.

Changed over to the PES 12 demo - some nice shooting animations but nowhere near the shot power of PES 2011. The same with crossing. On PES 2011 I could overhit a cross easily and would learn the next time to hold R2 or to pull the stick back towards the penalty spot to give it a bit more air. Felt beautifully weighted. On PES 2012 demo, feels weak and slow.

Passing has got to me a bit also. I'm not talking power or accuracy but the way the ball looks on the grass. Noticing it more on the really short passes but often seeing the ball bobble along as if a player has stubbed his foot and the ball is trickling. My mate played it with me and said "it doesn't feel as if you've kicked the ball". I have to agree. A lot of passes feel as if they've been rolled or something rather than being passed with a foot. The same with knock ons. Now they seem to bobble along unnaturaly instead of rolling a couple of metres forward on the grass.

Some really nice opportunities and gameplay arise because of the AI. It;s beautiful. But those other things which were fine on PES 11 have all of a sudden become things that detract, rather than being something you don't need to think about because it looks right.

And one last thing lol - but does anyone else find the players running a bit off? Like last year it felt like they were running on grass and when they stopped to change direction it felt real, but now they skid along when they change direction of if the ball is played behind them.

I hope it's just the demo :(

Ok so I played a few 15 min games on PES 2011 last night against a friend. 3 different leagues, all close great games. Some really nice movement off the ball. Shots felt like they were hit. Crosses, early crosses and chipped balls over the top all felt like they should.

Changed over to the PES 12 demo - some nice shooting animations but nowhere near the shot power of PES 2011. The same with crossing. On PES 2011 I could overhit a cross easily and would learn the next time to hold R2 or to pull the stick back towards the penalty spot to give it a bit more air. Felt beautifully weighted. On PES 2012 demo, feels weak and slow.

Passing has got to me a bit also. I'm not talking power or accuracy but the way the ball looks on the grass. Noticing it more on the really short passes but often seeing the ball bobble along as if a player has stubbed his foot and the ball is trickling. My mate played it with me and said "it doesn't feel as if you've kicked the ball". I have to agree. A lot of passes feel as if they've been rolled or something rather than being passed with a foot. The same with knock ons. Now they seem to bobble along unnaturaly instead of rolling a couple of metres forward on the grass.

Some really nice opportunities and gameplay arise because of the AI. It;s beautiful. But those other things which were fine on PES 11 have all of a sudden become things that detract, rather than being something you don't need to think about because it looks right.

And one last thing lol - but does anyone else find the players running a bit off? Like last year it felt like they were running on grass and when they stopped to change direction it felt real, but now they skid along when they change direction of if the ball is played behind them.

I hope it's just the demo :(

Look here
you mean that animation at 2:25?
YouTube - Pes 2012 Demo 2 Gameplay : Manchester City - Manchester Utd (Joseph77)
i agree, it's so annoying to see players slide like that

Just had the best game so far in my around 150 games and counting.

I think I've finally cracked it!

Not cracked in so much as I have found future proof wins all the time, but I certainly now know how to play the game. It's the first time since I played demo 1 and now onto demo 2 that I can say hand on heart, that I'm totally comfortable with the game and it hasn't been without his glitches.

Just had the most amazing game against Spurs where everything has clicked again. It's been four games on the bounce, where I've drawn or won. This was a 2-1 victory as Inter v Spurs. A few points where I have improved hugely on, and it may have something to do with switching to wide cam.

1) I know have a greater understanding of space in front of the midfield. I now know when to accelerate and attack the CPU backline and now have a wonderful understanding of when and where my players will make their forward runs. I was like many on here and questioning the forward runs from the strikers, they are there you just have to time the pass and wait for the run. In PES 2011 I think the main theory was that you play the through ball immediately as the striker runs would start more or less when your midfielder gets the ball. In this if there is space for your midfielder to attack the backline then take it on, draw your attacker then play the through ball where your striker would have started his run. IT'S ALL ABOUT THE TIMING. I am now much, much more comfortable when I'm three on three or two on two, I just get it now.

2) Know your key players. I know Eto for example has lightening feet so drill the ball to him around the edge of the box and I now have the ability to turn my man and fire the shot. Same with a Sneijder (sp) type player.

3) I'm much more comfortable on the ball if that makes sense. Because of PES 2011 incessant inhuman pressure the ball was like a hot potato and because the responsiveness of players was off, you'd get caught all the time. Not now, now I am comfortable on the ball with my key men, I can slow the play down, look for passing avenues etc.

4) THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT - I was wondering why I was getting a lot of 60-63% possession games, but was still losing them 2-3, 3-0. IT'S ALL ON THE DEFENCE and the way you approach defending. If you are getting 60% plus and losing 3-0 then there is obvious flaw in your defensive play stemming from the way your strikers reduce space, to your midfielders holding up play and so to the defenders. I DIDN'T USE THE TACKLE BUTTON ONCE IN MY LAST 2-1 win. But you have to be very, very subtle in the way you position your players. I think of it as a 2-3 yard rule if I am matched for numbers. Get in close, around 2-3 yards away of game distance, and match where he goes, but don't dive in. If you are outnumbered as will be the case sometimes you have to usher the danger man outside, never leave the middle exposed. My defensive play is now excellent I feel, even against Bale, Ribbery and Robben. Where the game is absolutely f'kin fantastic is when you mess up in terms of possession and you're left two on two with these players, they'll dice you every time

5) As a direct result of 4, if you're playing the game properly, you should see the OPPOSITION POSSESSION GO UP - but this means that your defensive play is sound, because you're slowing the CPU down, making it go back and around. THIS IS FINE. My average possession game is now at around 54% but I'm winning, whereas before it was 64% and getting trounced.

6) This is just a viewpoint - but watching from wide cam, I now appreciate the game in all its glory. I can see all the player movement, I can see Defoe bending his run against me (literally a banana run to stay onside, never seen it until now), I can see Bale picking up the ball and surging at my full back, I can see where I should pressure strong and where I should back off, I see where the CPU pressures strong and when it backs off. I can see when the oppo striker is trying to make a burst.

7) To all the haters (and this maybe just me), but I haven't seen any MAJOR issues with the goalies, and in demo 2 I've seen some brilliant saves. I haven't had a problem with cursor change, I now don't have a problem with defending. I don't have an issue with the CPU being too tough, it's fair. I have no issues with physics, shooting, crossing, anything.

8) MINOR NIGGLES - These are just minor points but I'll address them anyway. CPU free kick takers, are probably a bit too strong, their accuracy is too much sometimes. Many have mentioned about a potential cross bug !??!. Not sure on this, I mean I don't know if it's a bug or the end result of a good move. Take yesterday for example in the PL, there were lots of headed goals so the jury's out on this if it is indeed an issues. The lighting on the stadiums with the roofs, the shadows, it's too dark for my liking, that needs to change perhaps. The player faces whilst accurate does have that Resident Evil feel to it, but again it's very minor.

OVERALL - this is where I'm at, I am absolutely loving it. I can't put it down. I'm still messing about with formations and tactics to stop the Ribbery's and Robben's of this world, which must be a great thing. I'm constantly thinking about different ways to play, and how to counter different teams. Rangers are giving me great grief believe it or not with their aerial game. Bear in mind that I think I've finally cracked it after playing for days on end against the same teams, so I am really looking forward to the versatility.

A POT SHOT AT FIFA NOW - I don't apologise for this, and I don't care if I get shot down in flames. It's my opinion, and each to their own. PES will be my game of choice this year, already no doubt. The game is just so f'kin alive. It plays like I see it on TV. If you think it doesn't then good luck to you, we'll agree to disagree. FIFA, again, is lifeless, soulless, repetitive sweet spot finding. I don't even like the graphics anymore. There's no weight to the players and I have to say that the f'kin Impact Engine which they have been working on for two years is shite - PES, in my opinion, has this nailed this year and they didn't even release it as a major selling point. The intricacies in body movement is sublime and I love the fouls against players for quick feet.

I play PES and go back and try FIFA, and there is absolutely no movement whatsoever. I have to force everything, with triggers here and there. Whilst FIFA have now changed the system to a more build up orientated game, they've gone completely to the extreme now. Every team now plays like Barcelona with patient ten minute build up. I am not going to hide my love for PES this year, and I'm not going to hide my indifference to FIFA. I have given PES some almighty stick over the years, and they've produced some truly great game-breaking bullshit. Seabass must have been tripping through the late 00's. I can't put it any other way, but either their developers, programmers or whatever were incompetent or KONAMI just lied to us to get out cash, but what they came out with was wrong, totally wrong and against everything PES. They ignored us for years and got what they deserved, almighty stick for crap games. I believe FIFA 10 concentrated the mind, and they must have woke up and smelt the coffee. FIFA 11 and all it's pressure abuse was just the tonic that KONAMI needed to try and catch up this year. Well they've caught up. The graphics may not be pristine, but they're good enough for me and I hope KONAMI don't go down the millions of animations route and make the game like a f'kin floating ice-hockey feel like FIFA.

This year, now this is a game. I liked PES2011, but it was far too restrictive, no options, games were random and plenty was broken. But it had a pulse at least. This is the game that I've been waiting for at last. I think, near enough, they have almost everything spot on, for me. They can't fk up now so close to release, they have to hold their nerve and make PES players love it if it takes 2 months, 4 months, or nine f'kin months, because once you GET IT, you'll realise too that this is a monster game.

Over and out for now, hope I haven't bored you.

@ccshopland... wow long post and 150 games? Damn O.o lol

Anyway have you not gotten free crossing goals? I just playing bayern vs inter on top player and funny the computer got a cross bug goal on me at start, pazzini was all alone, my defenders behind him LOL. Later i scored 3 cross bug goals and won the game. Yawn......

The cross bug dont work on all crosses. You need to get in deep in the wing, mid way in it from top to bottom, run with the player that you are gonna cross with and dont stop dont even turn around or anything just unleash the cross while you running........ so many cheap goals, strikers all alone......zzzzzz

Just had the best game so far in my around 150 games and counting.

I think I've finally cracked it!

Not cracked in so much as I have found future proof wins all the time, but I certainly now know how to play the game. It's the first time since I played demo 1 and now onto demo 2 that I can say hand on heart, that I'm totally comfortable with the game and it hasn't been without his glitches.

Just had the most amazing game against Spurs where everything has clicked again. It's been four games on the bounce, where I've drawn or won. This was a 2-1 victory as Inter v Spurs. A few points where I have improved hugely on, and it may have something to do with switching to wide cam.

1) I know have a greater understanding of space in front of the midfield. I now know when to accelerate and attack the CPU backline and now have a wonderful understanding of when and where my players will make their forward runs. I was like many on here and questioning the forward runs from the strikers, they are there you just have to time the pass and wait for the run. In PES 2011 I think the main theory was that you play the through ball immediately as the striker runs would start more or less when your midfielder gets the ball. In this if there is space for your midfielder to attack the backline then take it on, draw your attacker then play the through ball where your striker would have started his run. IT'S ALL ABOUT THE TIMING. I am now much, much more comfortable when I'm three on three or two on two, I just get it now.

2) Know your key players. I know Eto for example has lightening feet so drill the ball to him around the edge of the box and I now have the ability to turn my man and fire the shot. Same with a Sneijder (sp) type player.

3) I'm much more comfortable on the ball if that makes sense. Because of PES 2011 incessant inhuman pressure the ball was like a hot potato and because the responsiveness of players was off, you'd get caught all the time. Not now, now I am comfortable on the ball with my key men, I can slow the play down, look for passing avenues etc.

4) THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT - I was wondering why I was getting a lot of 60-63% possession games, but was still losing them 2-3, 3-0. IT'S ALL ON THE DEFENCE and the way you approach defending. If you are getting 60% plus and losing 3-0 then there is obvious flaw in your defensive play stemming from the way your strikers reduce space, to your midfielders holding up play and so to the defenders. I DIDN'T USE THE TACKLE BUTTON ONCE IN MY LAST 2-1 win. But you have to be very, very subtle in the way you position your players. I think of it as a 2-3 yard rule if I am matched for numbers. Get in close, around 2-3 yards away of game distance, and match where he goes, but don't dive in. If you are outnumbered as will be the case sometimes you have to usher the danger man outside, never leave the middle exposed. My defensive play is now excellent I feel, even against Bale, Ribbery and Robben. Where the game is absolutely f'kin fantastic is when you mess up in terms of possession and you're left two on two with these players, they'll dice you every time

5) As a direct result of 4, if you're playing the game properly, you should see the OPPOSITION POSSESSION GO UP - but this means that your defensive play is sound, because you're slowing the CPU down, making it go back and around. THIS IS FINE. My average possession game is now at around 54% but I'm winning, whereas before it was 64% and getting trounced.

6) This is just a viewpoint - but watching from wide cam, I now appreciate the game in all its glory. I can see all the player movement, I can see Defoe bending his run against me (literally a banana run to stay onside, never seen it until now), I can see Bale picking up the ball and surging at my full back, I can see where I should pressure strong and where I should back off, I see where the CPU pressures strong and when it backs off. I can see when the oppo striker is trying to make a burst.

7) To all the haters (and this maybe just me), but I haven't seen any MAJOR issues with the goalies, and in demo 2 I've seen some brilliant saves. I haven't had a problem with cursor change, I now don't have a problem with defending. I don't have an issue with the CPU being too tough, it's fair. I have no issues with physics, shooting, crossing, anything.

8) MINOR NIGGLES - These are just minor points but I'll address them anyway. CPU free kick takers, are probably a bit too strong, their accuracy is too much sometimes. Many have mentioned about a potential cross bug !??!. Not sure on this, I mean I don't know if it's a bug or the end result of a good move. Take yesterday for example in the PL, there were lots of headed goals so the jury's out on this if it is indeed an issues. The lighting on the stadiums with the roofs, the shadows, it's too dark for my liking, that needs to change perhaps. The player faces whilst accurate does have that Resident Evil feel to it, but again it's very minor.

OVERALL - this is where I'm at, I am absolutely loving it. I can't put it down. I'm still messing about with formations and tactics to stop the Ribbery's and Robben's of this world, which must be a great thing. I'm constantly thinking about different ways to play, and how to counter different teams. Rangers are giving me great grief believe it or not with their aerial game. Bear in mind that I think I've finally cracked it after playing for days on end against the same teams, so I am really looking forward to the versatility.

A POT SHOT AT FIFA NOW - I don't apologise for this, and I don't care if I get shot down in flames. It's my opinion, and each to their own. PES will be my game of choice this year, already no doubt. The game is just so f'kin alive. It plays like I see it on TV. If you think it doesn't then good luck to you, we'll agree to disagree. FIFA, again, is lifeless, soulless, repetitive sweet spot finding. I don't even like the graphics anymore. There's no weight to the players and I have to say that the f'kin Impact Engine which they have been working on for two years is shite - PES, in my opinion, has this nailed this year and they didn't even release it as a major selling point. The intricacies in body movement is sublime and I love the fouls against players for quick feet.

I play PES and go back and try FIFA, and there is absolutely no movement whatsoever. I have to force everything, with triggers here and there. Whilst FIFA have now changed the system to a more build up orientated game, they've gone completely to the extreme now. Every team now plays like Barcelona with patient ten minute build up. I am not going to hide my love for PES this year, and I'm not going to hide my indifference to FIFA. I have given PES some almighty stick over the years, and they've produced some truly great game-breaking bullshit. Seabass must have been tripping through the late 00's. I can't put it any other way, but either their developers, programmers or whatever were incompetent or KONAMI just lied to us to get out cash, but what they came out with was wrong, totally wrong and against everything PES. They ignored us for years and got what they deserved, almighty stick for crap games. I believe FIFA 10 concentrated the mind, and they must have woke up and smelt the coffee. FIFA 11 and all it's pressure abuse was just the tonic that KONAMI needed to try and catch up this year. Well they've caught up. The graphics may not be pristine, but they're good enough for me and I hope KONAMI don't go down the millions of animations route and make the game like a f'kin floating ice-hockey feel like FIFA.

This year, now this is a game. I liked PES2011, but it was far too restrictive, no options, games were random and plenty was broken. But it had a pulse at least. This is the game that I've been waiting for at last. I think, near enough, they have almost everything spot on, for me. They can't fk up now so close to release, they have to hold their nerve and make PES players love it if it takes 2 months, 4 months, or nine f'kin months, because once you GET IT, you'll realise too that this is a monster game.

Over and out for now, hope I haven't bored you.

Excellent post and very well written. I agree with everything 100%. I havent played Fifa so I cant make that call, but I know what I know about Fifa's philosophy and your comments rubberstamp my pre-conceieved beliefs. Great stuff, it truly is a remarkable footballing replication. In my opinion anyway. :)

One thing that really helps with defending free kicks is manually selecting your goalkeeper and moving him forward. Normally they seem to be stuck on their line which means they never reach the ball in time if it's aimed properly (that, and a lack of sidestepping). Moving your gk forward gives him a better chance to reach out and make the save by cutting off the angles for the free kick taker.

Back
Top Bottom