PES 2017 PlayStation & Xbox Discussion Thread

I’m going to play this again on PS4. I adored it back when it was released. The AI was incredible.

when I talk about my last good PES game being PES 2013, I always forget about this gem.

The AI of this game is something else. It always finds a way to surprise you. I recorded this simple but efficient bit the other evening:

CPU Falcao used the one-two animation, my mind already robotically decided I had to open up and track him for a sure triangle conclusion.. while the third player just says fuck it and first time shot for Courtois save.

The AI of this game is something else. It always finds a way to surprise you. I recorded this simple but efficient bit the other evening:

CPU Falcao used the one-two animation, my mind already robotically decided I had to open up and track him for a sure triangle conclusion.. while the third player just says fuck it and first time shot for Courtois save.
Undoubtedly it's ANOTHER AI! Always surprises you!

Been playing a lot of 2017 this week for the first time since, well... 2017.

Guess I couldn't care less what happens with 2021, This game is a masterpiece. It also makes me terribley sad to play because when you consider the things PES 2020 does well, All it really needs is an untouched 2017 to work off. How is it that a game from 3 years earlier is a perfect foundation yet principle things such as AI, Player positioning, Responsiveness and player physics seem to regress?

What is it with annual sports franchises this generation that seems to cause this?

Anyway i managed to track down @Chris Davies "Best of Everything" OF which is basically his magnum opus :APPLAUD:and thankfully the installation worked.

First of all, The responsiveness - Wow. I don't want to feel like i'm playing the blitzball of PES 2019 but compared to the trucks on ice of 2020, 2017 does feel like it's 100mph at first but it's not, It's just a culture shock. I've always maintained that modern day professional footballers are pharmaceutical athletes and thus should feel like them and their agility should be reflected. Especially when you're not sprinting. It's truly a joy to control with out the burden and stress of latency and sluggishness. Now your plays and passing moves have a chance of playing out as you envisioned.

The AI on this game is something else though. As much as i didn't remember about 2017 until this week, One thing that was always etched into my memories was the outstanding AI and it's just as creative as i remembered it. Again, when you're so used to the stale patterns of the AI in 2020 - Long drilled pass from the CB, striker perfectly controls it and does the 180 turn while your defenders practise social distancing or the horrible sprint down the wing, stop on a dime and cross the ball animation with the standing foot move... Both scenario's happens EVERY MATCH and just completely breaks immersion... The AI in 2017 is a genuine surprise. I used to remark that sometimes it was like playing against a human because they will do things that doesn't typically happen from a predictable robotic CPU. Their play-makers would actually work openings and play clever through-balls, They would pass diagonally or even across the the final 3rd to keep possession rather than reaching the attacking boundary and forcing a magic pass. The AI even uses skills against you with the appropriate players which was really surprising to see!

These are just things i can think of off the top of my head. I always bring up how no other football game apart from 2019/2020 and the recent FIFA games makes me swear about player switching and sluggish defenders more than those games and it kind of spoils the experience for me because i'm in constant stress about the controls and the ensuing wrestle but those worries disappear with 2017. Instead a new sadness takes over, Just how did they bugger it all up after such a damn good Fox Engine PES?

It's not all perfect of course as there's no such thing, I've been playing on Superstar to try and get the most merciless AI experience and to be fair it's not been as stressful as i'd hoped, Mostly because of the improved responsiveness and input accountability but on Superstar - You can "tell" when the AI really "Turns it on" and sometimes it breaks out the utterly unstoppable Inazuma Eleven hyper manic extravaganza ping pong passing which is just so utterly ridiculous it makes rocket league look like the dullest fishing game of all time. However i try to give it the benefit of the doubt because it's on Superstar and it's got to be brutal to an extent but i'd argue that Superstar is still really challenging even without the cheating.

So that's my quick thoughts. I really implore everyone to at least try PES 2017 and especially for the sake of the less than £3 it cost me, A PES that is nearly 4 years old now surely feels more progressive than it's contemporary counter part - A game that's so good, It'll just make you feel sad.

Marlon, Ant here from This is Thursday Gaming / PES Custom Faces

mate, you have to try my PES 2017 updated to 19/20 files on PS4. Here’s my link, have a little read through...

https://evo-web.co.uk/threads/pes-2017-updated-2020-files-includes-team-league-identity.82803/

Also, when playing in ML, try -1 or -2 game speed. Takes a little while to get used to, but it's fantastic when your team gets to 90+ team spirit, as everything speeds up naturally.
AND when playing against Liverpool, it's not like it's on hyper speed! LOL!

very nice of you mention that OF! i would have done it if you didnt! ;)

what about PES2017 on PC?! how is the patch and mod scene doing!? when i was watching some PC threads here, it was mostly for the latest version (2020).

Sorry for late reply. As long as PES 2021 doesn't change its engine & many things still can be converted to PES 2017 i think it's still going strong.

OK, I'm officially done with PES 2020 (see my post in PES 2020 console thread).

Hopefully my copy of PES 2017 will arrive from eBay tomorrow - it was supposed to be here yesterday and I was planning on spending the weekend doing some editing so I played 2020 instead and, well, I have questions for you PES 2017 players as I haven't played a ML save on this since 2018 ish and always get this game mixed up with PES 2018 for some reason.

1. Fouls. Please tell me there are more than 2020?
2. Flow of play. Is it more interesting and unpredictable than 2020?
3. Penalties! Do we get awarded them in this? I'm pretty sure we haven't been awarded a PK in a PES game since PES 2013 but I might be wrong :LOL:
4. Variety of goals scored by the player and AI?
5. Can you run away from the ref? ;)

Fouls?
O yes indeed...:)
2+4 in one yes,very good so,and you'll see a mix of different goals/attempts.
Suddenly the CPU can go for screamers from 30 yards

Penalties,not really,had more than on 18+19 ,but not enough

I've noticed something when on 19 again,I'm dribbling a lot more now than I did on 17.
Not dribbling for the sake of dribbling,but to create space,since most Pes games has a catch up big,more visible on some difficulties than others,but some good dribbling and you've created some space to run

Fouls?
O yes indeed...:)
2+4 in one yes,very good so,and you'll see a mix of different goals/attempts.
Suddenly the CPU can go for screamers from 30 yards

Penalties,not really,had more than on 18+19 ,but not enough
Hell yeah nice one Rock. I'm looking forward to playing this again even though it's going to look pretty rough around the edges I'm sure.

I just want FUN in my football gaming. PES needs to get back to that.

Hell yeah nice one Rock. I'm looking forward to playing this again even though it's going to look pretty rough around the edges I'm sure.

I just want FUN in my football gaming. PES needs to get back to that.
This game is just that.
Almost 20 seasons on this out together.
You'll find it a bit faster than 18-19-20 though

OK, I'm officially done with PES 2020 (see my post in PES 2020 console thread).

Hopefully my copy of PES 2017 will arrive from eBay tomorrow - it was supposed to be here yesterday and I was planning on spending the weekend doing some editing so I played 2020 instead and, well, I have questions for you PES 2017 players as I haven't played a ML save on this since 2018 ish and always get this game mixed up with PES 2018 for some reason.

1. Fouls. Please tell me there are more than 2020?
2. Flow of play. Is it more interesting and unpredictable than 2020?
3. Penalties! Do we get awarded them in this? I'm pretty sure we haven't been awarded a PK in a PES game since PES 2013 but I might be wrong :LOL:
4. Variety of goals scored by the player and AI?
5. Can you run away from the ref? ;)

Yeah, definitely more fouls - and the ref gives free-kicks to you, not just the cpu. Also more cards for the cpu - I've played about 10-15 matches since I started 2017 again and the cpu has already had a couple of reds. Don't think I ever saw the cpu get a red in 2020...but how could it, the ref ignores most fouls by cpu.

Flow of play is far more interesting, possibly the best in any modern PES. No more cpu just spamming instant long pass to cpu striker, who your defenders actively avoid marking like in 2020 (and 19 and 18). Cpu misplaces more passes - they've ended some matches with under 70% passing accuracy - which means more change-over of possession. Plenty of variety in cpu attack - short passing, long balls with flick-ons, dribbling, long shots (although always hit perfectly - never seen a miskick) , early crosses from deep, getting to the bye-line and crossing. Cpu just seems to have more imagination and unpredictability than 2020.

Cpu seems to play to its stats more than in more recent games (eg. 2018 cpu passing is clearly more accurate and ping-pongy than stats should allow).

2017 is obviously not perfect and the more I play, the more I'm sure I'll notice things that annoy but so far, it's the least "cheaty" PES....miles less annoying than the cpu cheat-fest that is 2020. I always ended up feeling angry when I play even 1 match on 2020, I haven't yet felt this way with 2017 (and rarely did with 2018, and I've put 100s of hours into that game)

It feels slightly dated - the more recent PES games have, year on year, gradually refined the feel on the ball and the physics, the gfx have improved, particularly in 2019 and 2020 (seemingly at the expense of AI depth and quality).

2018 (probably still my favourite) has more "detailed" gameplay - I feel 2018 has more little things that can happen, particularly in the box, more animations, more goalkeeper fumbles, more little deflections, cute little moments. But 2018 also has a cpu that is more ping-pongy, player positioning is getting pretty loose at times, the cpu tactic of spamming long ball to unmarked striker is becoming apparent.

For me, 2019 and 2020 have noticeably worse AI than 2017 and 18 and I generally play fixed-cursor, so team-mate AI is crucial. In 2017 and 2018, your team-mates play really good football, defending with urgency, attacking with purpose. In 19 and 20, they like uninterested teenagers that would rather be fiddling with their phones than playing football. AI has taken a huge nosedive.

Last edited:
I will drop it to -1. To be honest, I'm fed up with the slow, sluggish, unresponsive mess that is PES 2020 anyway.
yes. -1... my prefered speed setting here!

man, i'm feeling joy here in mid germany just reading your comments and thinking about you unwrapping that game soon, installing it, starting a match first time (after all those years) and instantly feeling and seeing the positive differences! good times ahead, bud!
enjoy mate, ENJOY!! :LOVE:

Yeah let me know how your doing,how it feels etc
:YES: same here!!

edit: btw: why does that smilie alyways remind me of jack nickolson in anger management!? :LMAO:
tenor.gif

Last edited:
I’ve decided I’m going to install @Chris Davies BOE option file. I’m going to re-live the 16-17 season. I’m going to take the (once) mighty Aston Villa back to the Premier League - hopefully! There’s even talk of a new stadium on the horizon if we get to the PL (I hate playing at Rose Park so this is my excuse :LOL: )

I probably won’t get it play this until tomorrow - option file takes a lot longer to install in this than PES 2020 iirc.

I’ve decided I’m going to install @Chris Davies BOE option file. I’m going to re-live the 16-17 season. I’m going to take the (once) mighty Aston Villa back to the Premier League - hopefully! There’s even talk of a new stadium on the horizon if we get to the PL (I hate playing at Rose Park so this is my excuse :LOL: )

I probably won’t get it play this until tomorrow - option file takes a lot longer to install in this than PES 2020 iirc.
Time for "guinea-pig" examination. Is your game 1.04.02 and DLC 3.0? :)

Back
Top Bottom