The General PC Questions Thread

Hey all,

I have a new laptop Acer 5551 and the battery life on it is averaging around 2 hours 20 mins.

Is it possible to buy a longer lasting battery for a laptop? I presume it is, just wondering if anyone knows any specific things I should look for when going for one. I use it for work and the heavy flash I use seems to be draining the battery quicker than 2 hours in some cases.

Would like to try and at least double that if possible?

I think it's the laptop not the battery mate, not sure that buying a new one would solve your problem...

Yeah that's what I thought - I'm hoping they do higher cell batteries I can just replace it with. Just no idea where to get it. Have emailed acer see if they can tell me.

Have you got any other equipment you can test the monitor on? Does it say anything at all on the monitor screen? i.e. No Signal, No VGA, etc.

Ive tried another monitor which is a LG TV/monitor and now it works!

Only problem now is I also have a LG TV in the same room, and when I use the remote for the TV it clashes with my TV/monitor which Im now using for PC!

Got an OEM copy of Windows 7 here.

Can I install it over Vista without having to do a fresh install? Can't be bothered formatting and losing everything, would just like to install it over top...is this possible and causes no problems?

I really would recommend a clean install.
Google it for further suggestion.

BTW the clean install is very straightforward,and windows 7 good at
locating and downloading all the drivers it requires when installed.

thanks for reply.

Yeah but then i'll lose everything thats on it. I did a fresh install on my old laptop worked fine.

Just wondering if I would cause any issues just installing over Vista so I dont lose anything

Well like You I did a fair bit of researching before
installing windows 7. And the recommendation really is clean install.
I have a WD external HD so was at least able to back vital stuff up
onto that.
Incidentally if your pc is up to it go for the 64 bit option.

lesson learn? store all your files, games and shit on a seperate hdd or partition. i could wipe out my main drive right now without losing a thing

Same here, copy the stuff you want onto dvd or ext hdd and then when installing add a partition to your hdd for the software part and keep the rest for your stuff.

I need a little help

Not to long ago i replaced my fans with some quieter ones and they did the job to a certain extent

My PC is very very quiet now most of the time but when the CPU usage goes to 100% the CPU fan (which is set to Auto so is normally only on 900rpm) sets off to cool the PC down going upto 2500 RPM making the PC sounds like its taking off

I was thinking of adding another Noctua NF-R8 to it, now would this help and would it be better blowing air in or out if i positioned it (and cut the hole) near the CPU fan?

Thanks

have you cleared any dust etc from the case?

especially from the heatsink on the cpu.

i would also have the fans going at a faster rate than auto so it should keep it constantly cool. it may be a bit louder but it shouldn't get to the point where it needs to spin up to the max to cool it down. a constant cool might be better

just a suggestion

sounds like your thermal paste is gone. take off your cooler, clean the paste on both cpu and cooler and re-appy new paste. also as bitter said, clean out the dust

I added fresh paste when i installed the fans and its free of dust

How can i get my fans going at a constant rate that isn't max?

Whats your lots temp anyway?

I'm using SpeedFan to slow down the fan and check temperature but im unsure what temp i need to be keeping it at

I've tested stuff out over the weekend and i have found that 50% speed is quiet enough but under load it needs 70% to keep the Core 1 and 2 under 55C

So if i did put a another fan in above the CPU could i lower it even more due to the there being 2 fans above the CPU to cool it?

Or does anyone have any suggestions on any CPU fans that run fast and are quiet?

look at getting a better cpu heatsink and fan, that will probably solve your problems.

adding case fans isn't always the best option. that can only help push the heat somewhere else and you need to find the best place for them to go and the direction it pushes or draws

it might be that a case fan is affecting the cpu cooler too.

i would just get a higher profile heatsink and fan to bring the temps right down to about 30 or 40 @

look on http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=7

Back
Top Bottom