The General PC Questions Thread

Quick advice:

My Mum has a 10 year old PC which keeps powering off, I suspect it's the PSU. You hear a crackling sort of noise then it dies. Just wondering if that's economically worth replacing nowadays? If it's even still possible to replace it.
She took it to a local computer shop and they replaced the PSU for £40.

Id change that Graphics Card to something a bit more modern. Depends on if you prefer AMD or NVIDIA mate.

I personally have a GTX580 from NVIDIA and have no issues running any games. I would also upgrade your RAM as well seeing as Windows 7 takes 1.5 GB of your RAM once it has booted up fully!

Yeah fair play to them. It's working fine now, went round last night and sorted it out / updated everything for her.

hi guys im a newb to pc gaming! and im looking to buy a gaming pc but dont know much about it!! any way i been looking at this the guy wants 700 for it!!

Specs:
AMD Phenom II X6 1100t 3.6ghz (hex core)
16gb DDR3 ram
ATI Radeon hd 4870 1gb (8.7gb when shared!)
2x1tb WD HDD's - On raid 0 - 2 x The Speed!
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 zs 24bit sound card
Gigabit Lan
750w PSU
MSI Motherboard

Also comes with a lot of colourful fans and lights already installed

is this worth 700 and will it play the latest games??

thanks for anyones help

I think the Radeon HD 4870 is the only thing which worries me about playing the "Latest" Games and it also depends on if you want all the DX11 Ultra Graphical Goodies turned on at a high resolution like. That Graphics card wont handle it with decent Frames Per Second. My GTX 580 handles latest games at 1080P on DX11 Ultra settings at 60FPS and above in other games.

I think the Radeon HD 4870 is the only thing which worries me about playing the "Latest" Games and it also depends on if you want all the DX11 Ultra Graphical Goodies turned on at a high resolution like. That Graphics card wont handle it with decent Frames Per Second. My GTX 580 handles latest games at 1080P on DX11 Ultra settings at 60FPS and above in other games.

thanks for the reply mate!

the main reason i want to get one is for pes 13!!and it to look and play the best it can!! but i dont really want to go over 600 _700 pound!! iknow its cheaper to build one but i have no clue!! i dont suppose you know any sites where they are already built that i could get one in that price range but a better set up??

thanks again for you help.

ps what a season the toon have had :)

I certainly wouldn't rule out building a PC yourself. Everyone says it's much easier than you think and it's just a case of connecting components together. Have a read of this thread and see what you think....

http://www.evo-web.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=65477

I'm about to do my own build next week so I'll let you know if it's true or not!

Most people will tell you that you can build build a pretty decent gaming PC for £700.

You can build one yourself on a budget and tailor it to exactly what you want it to do for you like.

Agreed Toon have had a much better season than most expected us too! :)

Think my laptop is on it's way out.

Every so often (getting steadily more regular) the screen will go off and it'll effectively die. The lights showing that it's on are still on, and the light on the disc drive comes on and remains on with the added bonus that you can't open it.

It's fairly old now (2007 I think) so could just be the lasting effects of a few years abuse but I'm in no financial position to get a new one and my Macbook Pro buggered itself sideways a while back so I'll be screwed with no laptop.

Any thoughts from anyone?

Faulty system board. Unless it's a fantastic laptop, probably not much more expensive to just replace the laptop rather than have the board replaced.

Im with Dags on this one. Replacement Machine it sounds like it will have to be.

Laptops arent as straightforward to fix as Desktop's when it comes to Hardware problems. It will be way out of Warranty as well :(

I was afraid of that. Just looked at my balance and fear I may have to fake my own death seen as a new job isn't likely at the minute.

Ah well, suppose I can spend some time outside rather than on the laptop if it does conk out.

Think my laptop is on it's way out.

Every so often (getting steadily more regular) the screen will go off and it'll effectively die. The lights showing that it's on are still on, and the light on the disc drive comes on and remains on with the added bonus that you can't open it.

It's fairly old now (2007 I think) so could just be the lasting effects of a few years abuse but I'm in no financial position to get a new one and my Macbook Pro buggered itself sideways a while back so I'll be screwed with no laptop.

Any thoughts from anyone?

Could it be getting to hot?

Try it on a laptop cooler

My little brothers pc powers on but i get nothing from the display could the internal graphics be burnt out or something. Could i get a cheap graphics card in there and fix or would i need a new motherboard

Hi, wanting to get a pc that will allow me to play pes 2013 but haven't a clue where to start

Can somebody recommend a link or advice on what I need

Hi guys I got this PC!! I want to upgrade it to be able to play the new games on ultra setting ect!! Will I just need to buy a really good graphics card or is there anything else I need to upgrade!! Could I get a good card for around a 150?? And what would you recommend?
I just couldn't resist the eye candy of the PCs compared to my ps3 anymore!

Thanks guys

guys im having a problem , I have an Acer Aspire one Notebook 10.1 inch , It dosn't have a CD/DVD so i wanted to format it and i was using USB , I want to format with Windows XP , it went until 20 % than pc off and it wont work anymore , I try with windows 7 and happen this see pic , anyone has any idea what I have to do to make it works ?
img0882b.jpg

Yea i had the same issue. it is your windows 7 install. its no god. you need to grab another copy of win 7 or rebuild the bootable USB ISO again

Yea i had the same issue. it is your windows 7 install. its no god. you need to grab another copy of win 7 or rebuild the bootable USB ISO again

thank you buddy , I already fix this problem , It good now , actualy it was foult of my USB flash , get one other and it work just fine , 2 days I was trying and trying never thought to just change usb lol , last night just try that and it worked :)

Back
Top Bottom