The Retro-PES Corner

@slamsoze @Madmac79 @miguelfcp

Right then, Nachdecal seems nailed on to be let go. Giersen is getting a lot of votes and Ceciu can go with him as I don't think I ever played him. So now it's down to the last man

I'm thinking maybe Harty as he's 38 and Stein/Dodo is the likely first choice for most people?

I will put those four in as free agents though. :)

As I see @Flipper the Priest just mentioned him right above my post that's Harty confirmed then as the fourth.

Zamenhof has to stay, he's legendary in this thread :LOL:
Jokes aside you will need pretty much everyone of 32 men, even Zamenhof, cause the arrow forms in this ML are pretty harsh, like the Wrath of the Gods. Especially in the first months you will get many purple-down arrows.

@slamsoze It gets worse, I looked in the editor and the squad is actually 28 and you can't add to it in the editor. Of course you could pick up 4 of the others in the transfer market should you wish, but I've had to take four more out. Lothar (should be Zam, but I can't :) ) Celnilli, Ostwault and Njorgo have been informed! So the 8 left out I will make as free agents.

@slamsoze @Madmac79 @miguelfcp

Right then, Nachdecal seems nailed on to be let go. Giersen is getting a lot of votes and Ceciu can go with him as I don't think I ever played him. So now it's down to the last man

I'm thinking maybe Harty as he's 38 and Stein/Dodo is the likely first choice for most people?

I will put those four in as free agents though. :)

As I see @Flipper the Priest just mentioned him right above my post that's Harty confirmed then as the fourth.

Zamenhof has to stay, he's legendary in this thread :LOL:

I always thought of Edingson as just a Ruskin knockoff, but I can’t say I disagree with the choices others have made. The only one I mildly disagree with is Giersen, but that’s just because I like him as a backup RWB, and he’s done well for me there.

I always thought of Edingson as just a Ruskin knockoff, but I can’t say I disagree with the choices others have made. The only one I mildly disagree with is Giersen, but that’s just because I like him as a backup RWB, and he’s done well for me there.

I did use Giersen a fair bit early on in my last PES6 defaults game but my lasting memory of him was me trying to do a lofted through ball down the right hand touchline with him and he put it in the crowd :D

I put 4 of these players (Ivarov, Minanda, Jaric and Ruskin) into the ML defaults last night in the editor and started a quick ML just to play a game. Even though there were only 4 of them in the team it instantly felt brilliant. I played the training game you get at the start with a 3-5-2. It was against Vikingur (of Iceland) on paper a weaker team than the defaults(!) but it was backs to the wall stuff and we went down 2-0 in the end, conceding a late second whilst chasing an equaliser. It got a bit heated near the end when Jaric got two yellow cards in the space of 5 minutes. I will be appealing the second yellow today. :)

What was interesting was Ivarov's OVR total (77) that's better than 99% of the keepers in the game so far. Not that I take the OVR's too seriously, fortunately the individual ability stats were still important here. Oh and I made the mistake of tearing around pressing in the first half and the stamina effect on the team was brilliant late on, some of them could barely run. Ruskin of course was fine and asked to do a few laps of the pitch afterwards to warm up.

I did use Giersen a fair bit early on in my last PES6 defaults game but my lasting memory of him was me trying to do a lofted through ball down the right hand touchline with him and he put it in the crowd :D

I put 4 of these players (Ivarov, Minanda, Jaric and Ruskin) into the ML defaults last night in the editor and started a quick ML just to play a game. Even though there were only 4 of them in the team it instantly felt brilliant. I played the training game you get at the start with a 3-5-2. It was against Vikingur (of Iceland) on paper a weaker team than the defaults(!) but it was backs to the wall stuff and we went down 2-0 in the end, conceding a late second whilst chasing an equaliser. It got a bit heated near the end when Jaric got two yellow cards in the space of 5 minutes. I will be appealing the second yellow today. :)

What was interesting was Ivarov's OVR total (77) that's better than 99% of the keepers in the game so far. Not that I take the OVR's too seriously, fortunately the individual ability stats were still important here. Oh and I made the mistake of tearing around pressing in the first half and the stamina effect on the team was brilliant late on, some of them could barely run. Ruskin of course was fine and asked to do a few laps of the pitch afterwards to warm up.

Ruskin is an absolute machine! 😁

Giersen is consistently crap, and inconsistently brilliant. One of those lads that does sweet FA for 99% of matches, but wins goal of the season and is runner-up in Fans Player of the Year for his social media banter.

Well, they need no introducing, so here they are :) (volume up)

I'm not sure if that affection column is for me to fill in or for them :LOL:

The great first names are mostly from @geeeeee who came up with them for his PES2008, the other few that either weren't in 08 or did not have enough space for full names in 08 then I came up with.

Last edited:
That is excellent stuff @mattmid well done that man! :APPLAUD:

I really appreciate the first names too ;)

I am looking forward to your ML stories.

So back to my ML and it's the last two games of the season.

1589311255154.jpeg

1589310700642.jpeg

With Brighton already promoted it is between Fulham, Cardiff, and Canvey.

Next match Fulham v Canvey...

Fulham 1 v Canvey 4, a complete shock this one. We were completely dominate in this game and it was totally unexpected. To sum up Fulham's performance at the end of the first half Arter hit a shot out of the ground. It was the easiest game I have played all season. Maybe Fulham's nerves got the them. This left us in poll position BUT...Cardiff won at Sheff Utd 1-2 so it will go to the last game. :CALM:

The final match of the season...

1589311589627.jpeg

1589311631699.jpeg

If Canvey draw and Cardiff win, Cardiff will go up on goal difference. So it is quite simple, win the match and we are promoted.

Canvey Eagles v Sheff Utd...Enjoy!

Canvey 1 v Sheff Utd 1, Cardiff 1 v Aston Villa 0, Cardiff are promoted :CRY:
What a tough game this was. Where as the match against Fulham was a breeze this was so difficult. We just could not break them down and the match had plenty of fouls so the game was breaking up quite a bit. At 0-0 at half time and Cardiff winning, the pressure was on. Macco scored a fantastic goal for us in the second half and we were on our way. But there was so many nerves. From their corner, I think it was Stein who put a ball across our own penalty area. Ruskin stopped it from going out of play only to put another ball across his own penalty area which Ivarov headed out. From that header United had a shot which deflected back to Ivarov, phew!

But then, with 15mins left, Besic made an excellent run into the box to header in a shot that Ivarov could not hold, 1-1. That was about it as we continued to struggle to break them down. Then in injury time Guti was put through one on one, will he blast it, or take it round the keeper? No he decides to go for a cheeky chip which goes straight into the keeper's hands. That was much like one of those cheeky penalties that you see being fluffed up. So that is it for another season. It was a good season as I did not expect it to go to the wire. Hopefully next season we will do better.

1589312556564.jpeg

I thought that was going to be the late winner for Promotion there and then he went for the chip! What a way to have done it though had it come off. Really enjoyed that game and was laughing at the calamity moment at the back that ended with Ivarov heading it and then almost an own goal with the deflection. Love all that stuff that happens, so realistic. I just had a similar mix up playing a game with the defaults that I'll upload later.

Got to be pleased with that first season even if it ended with a bit of disappointment after going so close. :)

I thought after I'd posted when I was just playing that defaults game that I had forgotten to mention about the first names and I see I missed that Macco had one and gave him Ivor!

If I am on honest the Fulham match was a bit of an anticlimax. It was so easy, it made me think of how Man City fans must feel (before this season). And I was worried that the last game would be the same but far from it. They were so tough to break down, and they went with 3 at the back! No worries with the name I am sure he has more than one name. He will always be Macco to me.

Here is a stats round up of my ML season...

@geeeeee
Man, unfortunate! After the 1-4 with Fulham, I thought it was deal done. So many unlucky episodes in that final game! I was sure you would have gonna put it in in the last minutes with Gutierrez. Well, sometimes it just goes like that, luckily there is always the next season :) .

@Madmac79

Yeh it was disappointing but on the flip side I think we would have struggled if we went up. Especially as i am putting the difficulty up next season to Professional.

I have gone through all the pre season training and renewed contracts etc... but thinking about it now I actually regret not trying to buy someone. I know that I decided not to buy anyone until one of my players retires or leaves but for me one of the best things about ML is about building the squad. When I was editing the option file i would create young players that i have never heard of and then look forward to seeing how they play in the ML. But i may not buy anyone for a while so some of these created players will be old by the time i have a chance to buy anyone.

So next season i have decided that if a player needs a contract renewal, i will only give him a new contract if he is
1. Still Playing,
2. Performing or
3. Improving.

If not, i will let him go and then buy a replacement, but it has to be a ‘real’ player.

Roll on next season.

@mattmid: That's the tune that should play before the Defaults enter the pitch on home matches. Or this one:

And your game has a bug. Minanda has the same "Affection" level as the other plebs...

@geeeeee:
Unbelievable last minute drama! Let's hope that Gutierrez miss doesn't affect his career...he's getting absolutely destroyed on social media. Even 53-year-old Barota would've scored that one, they say, though I doubt it...

@Meazza84: Amazing video. That Gronkjaer goal, my goodness...you're doing a wonderful job showcasing PES1, it's looking pretty good on your videos.

@Meazza84 Some great goals there! What a team Croatia had over that late nineties/early 2000 period. As was the Yugoslavian team which was pretty special before that too with some of those Croatian players in it too and the likes of Dragan Stojkovic. I remember the Yugoslavia v Spain game from the 1990 World Cup, what a game that was, Yugoslavia were so good to watch.

@geeeeee What were those transfer rules you have, I remember you posted them sometime back and I meant to copy/paste them but never did. I remember it was to do with the ranking and whether you had to accept the bids if it were a higher ranked team and so on. I think I'd like to have something like that when I start mine.

Just played a couple of games with the defaults in a little ML test although I've still got a long way to go on the file, but for now D2 is full of finished teams so that's ideal to have a little test. What a great first couple of games, there's just something about these defaults that you can't put your finger on that just instantly gets you. First game I lost to a 75th minute winner, 1-0 to Vejgaard which isn't good news as they are one of the weaker Danish D2 teams. Sure enough, in the next game against Vendyssel (who are D1 - 2nd tier) I was totally outclassed and went down 3-0. Both games were so enjoyable though. The second one I had to work so hard to even get a sniff of a chance. The best one fell to Castolo but he blasted it wide from a good position. Stein sent a player head over heels, his 'welcome to D2' business card. The ref appeared to see nothing wrong with it. Those of us with a replay beg to differ :LOL: I've had two players out for a week each already too. Ivarov isn't happy though as his goalkeeper's jersey hasn't turned up yet, he's in the no kit in the kitserver grey mode. Just have to make sure I don't get to involved as it's only a test!

Stein Business Card.

Maybe if I learn how to actually pass and dribble 😅 At least I have one win more than the cpu on five stars, even if it's on penalties.

@Meazza84 Some great goals there! What a team Croatia had over that late nineties/early 2000 period. As was the Yugoslavian team which was pretty special before that too with some of those Croatian players in it too and the likes of Dragan Stojkovic. I remember the Yugoslavia v Spain game from the 1990 World Cup, what a game that was, Yugoslavia were so good to watch.

@geeeeee What were those transfer rules you have, I remember you posted them sometime back and I meant to copy/paste them but never did. I remember it was to do with the ranking and whether you had to accept the bids if it were a higher ranked team and so on. I think I'd like to have something like that when I start mine.

Just played a couple of games with the defaults in a little ML test although I've still got a long way to go on the file, but for now D2 is full of finished teams so that's ideal to have a little test. What a great first couple of games, there's just something about these defaults that you can't put your finger on that just instantly gets you. First game I lost to a 75th minute winner, 1-0 to Vejgaard which isn't good news as they are one of the weaker Danish D2 teams. Sure enough, in the next game against Vendyssel (who are D1 - 2nd tier) I was totally outclassed and went down 3-0. Both games were so enjoyable though. The second one I had to work so hard to even get a sniff of a chance. The best one fell to Castolo but he blasted it wide from a good position. Stein sent a player head over heels, his 'welcome to D2' business card. The ref appeared to see nothing wrong with it. Those of us with a replay beg to differ :LOL: I've had two players out for a week each already too. Ivarov isn't happy though as his goalkeeper's jersey hasn't turned up yet, he's in the no kit in the kitserver grey mode. Just have to make sure I don't get to involved as it's only a test!

Stein Business Card.

Here it is Matt, hopefully you can work it out. You may not need to use it in PES2013 because of the affection thingy which i guess if a player leaves or not. But obviously that is not in 2008.

“Transfer Offers ML

The player’s MENTALITY stat and the RANDOM NUMBER are the main factors in deciding if a player will accept an offer.

RANDOM NUMBER = 50-100
MENTALITY = 1-99

If the RANDOM NUMBER is equal to or higher than the MENTALITY then the player accepts the offer. Otherwise he will refuse it.

The PLAYER’S TEAM rating will cause a negative or positive response to the RANDOM NUMBER and ultimately, the decision.

A rated = -40
B rated = -10
C rated = 0
D rated = +10
unrated = +40

The BUYING TEAM’S rating will cause a negative or positive response to the RANDOM NUMBER and ultimately, the decision.

A rated = +40
B rated = +10
C rated = 0
D rated = -10
unrated = -40

For example...
Real Madrid (rated A) make an offer for Eriksen who plays for Tottenham (rated B).

Eriksen’s Mentality is 78
Eriksen’s team is B rated which is -10
Real Madrid are A rated which is +40
The Random Number will have 30 points added.
This means that if the Random Number Generated is 48 or over then Eriksen will accept terms.

The Random Number generated is 38.

Eriksen stays.

This needs to be done for each team’s offer.”

It may need tweaking if you decide to use it.

Hold the bus! Ruskin's an Eddington knockoff!

My mate's dad was dubbed 'Eddy' after Eddington. Scottish, bald on top, left footed. Never seen them in the same room together...

Primarily for the delectation of @mattmid, here's the spreadsheets you ordered. Let me stress that these are not my doing, and I'm only prevented from crediting by the same reason I'm uploading them in the first place: PSD is on the blink.

@mattmid: Stein is a man born in the wrong era. He's completely out of place amidst electronic adboards, HD TV, "UEFA Champions League" and the like. Every career-ending tackle of his - and boy that list is endless - is the physical manifestation of his spirit revolting against the present age. He still has a remnant of hope that his next atrocious challenge might magically transport him back to the good-old-days; but that never happens, so he has no choice but to keep on trying.

----

It's now time for a London (Arsenal) adventure on PES2, after wasting yet another chance of conquering the pseudo-CL with Piemonte.
Their team is equally potent, if not even more. Seaman the keeper is tremendous. Sol Campbell plays alongside an ageing but still very competent Tony Adams; Ashley Cole the left-back, and Luzhny plays as RB (because he has better Stamina and Attack then Dixon). A certain Oranges plays as CMF alongside a wonderful Patrick Vieira, I had no idea who he was until I googled Arsenal's roster: Van Bronckhorst. Pires and Ljungberg make up this potent midfield, and Henry plays up front with the "Original Oranges" also known as, the "Non-Flying Oranges" Oranges001: Bergkamp.

What puts London over most PES2 clubs is its bench, which is unusually stacked. Keown (90 DEF) and Dixon are very decent substitutes, midfielders like Parlour are not great but acceptable solutions to have, and then one has one of the best strikers in the game, Nwankwo Kanu, as well as Wiltord and Jeffers as offensive alternatives.

So far I've dominated the group stage, clinching the 1st place. Will I finally take a PES2 club to pseudo-Champions League glory?

18/32 kits done for Norway so far. As you may well spot the players aren't done for these yet (bar one team). HamKam have not been splashing the money out to put the Juventus 12/13 team back together! :)

Have to say I really like the Mjondalen kit, not often you see a brown kit.

At the moment Oygarden are looking the likely team for the ML defaults when I start my ML. They were formed this season from a team currently in D2 (Nest-Sotra) and other nearby teams so that seems ideal for the ML lads to become the new squad.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Just one match to finish my WEFA group stage.

Started kinda easy but developed into a drama in the end. First match was a pretty uneventful 0-0 draw against Real/Chamartin at home. They look less like a powerhouse since they sold R.Carlos, Zidane and (probably, since they weren't in in both games ) Makelele and Figo. But they still have Casillas, Beckham, Raul and Ronaldo among the others so definitely a very dangerous team even now.
Won 3-1 fairly easily against Rhur, then draw against Prague (which sported a quite interesting 4-2-3-1 with small number 10 Morfeo as the only forward.. looked a lot like a modern team).

Then I had the return against Chamartin, another draw but plenty of chances.
Among the others, Chamartin went near the goal with a great number of Raul and a nice FK by Hofland (about this, he probably is a good shooter, but if I had to move a critic, it sucks that in Pes 3 CPU doesn't adjust FK takers to stats but just give them to the "replace" in the eleven.. and as he probably plays as lb instead of R.Carlos, he got to shoot far ones even they had Beckham available.. ):

And Casillas denied me the victory with one of the best saves I have seen in a while in this game:

Then I had Rhur at home. I was confident enough after the first game, so I went in a bit too relaxed.. and after 80 minutes of more or less sterile dominion by me, they punished me with:

header, great save by Burgos who can't do nothing on the rebound.

Last emotion: they tried to score in their own net with what would have certainly been the most spectacular own goal I'd ever seen in a football videogame :D :

Now the table looks like this:

CLgroup.jpg
I'll have to win the last game against Praga and hope Rhur won't do three points against Chamartin.

Last edited:
Well, three games into the season and the lads have their first goal. Hamsun got it. Unfortunately we were 3-0 down to Skive at the time. A bit of a scramble in the box, the ball fell to him and he rifled it home.

Bjerregard, their striker, who I remember was a handful in last year's PES6 Danish file, proved to be exactly the same again, holding off defenders time and again with his strength.

Jaric picked up a yellow and should have had a second but was fortunate that advantage was played and unlike previous PES's the ref apparently wipes any memory of the tackle from his mind and doesn't come back to it.

Hamsun was the stand out player in this one. His strength causing a few problems and he held it up well too. Stein and Jaric (filling in for injured Dodo) in DM, did ok but found it hard to stem the tide of yellow and blue striped shirts. Valeny was the pick of the defenders, a statement that tells a lot.

Ordaz had a bright spell as a sub, causing problems in an unaccustomed role at LWF, food for thought there. He had the beating of his man and got in a few crosses.

Gutierrez has done nothing in the two games he's played so far and has been subbed in both of them (I'm leaving subs to the coach in this) but he's young and no doubt his time will come.

Moubarki was disappointing at RB as we switched to a 4-2-1-3 after 3-4-1-2 in the previous two games.

Burchett played the entire game so I doubt we'll see him again this side of Christmas and Ivarov might be still waiting on his keeper's outfit but his teflon gloves have evidently arrived.

It wasn't all bad news though, Stein found a £10 note on the floor in the changing room.

Vaaaan Den Beeeerrrg!

A second half equaliser took the edge off it, but a 1-1 result sees our first point and as it was our first home game too we are now unbeaten at home this season. :)

I absolutely love the fans goal cheer in this version of PES, it seems perfectly timed to the goal happening and very spontaneous. Even more so it seems with the small crowd we're getting. Must make a smaller stadium for them to play in though.

Man, this game is cruel :D ! Played my decisive match against Prague; a very balanced one that I opened with a Nakayama goal in the beginning of the second half. Then, when I thought I was passing through, even if I was playing in 10 thanks to a bad Mauro Silva tackle, which costed him a direct red card, in the injury time they draw with their last desperate try.

So I ended up third; will play WEFA Masters cup, first match late in the season against Hanseaten/Hamburg.

Unfortunately I couldn't check what exactly happened in the other game between Chamartin and Rhur because the game simply erase the qualification table stats after the last match of the group is over.. which, if I'm not being stupid and I just simply can't find it, seems like a weird choice.. but whatever, not so important as of now :) .

@mattmid nice goal with that VDB shot! Loved it when there is that random element, in this case from the ball crazily bouncing between their defense for you to capitalize. Looks like your OF is coming along pretty well :) .

Back
Top Bottom