The Retro-PES Corner

@mattmid yep I love those goals. Especially the Hamsun one. For some reason I like it when there is a bit of a scramble and then someone gets hold of it and smashes it. :DD

@Madmac79 I feel for you. Some would say that conceding in the last minute is scripted but I have played games where I have just managed to clear the ball in the last minute too or I have scored a last minute goal. It happens in real football. Hopefully you will do well in the WEFA Cup.

So a new season and a new challenge! Simply because I have upped the difficulty to Professional. Not sure if it is a good idea as I have struggled on that level in the past.

First two matches of 20-21 season. Commentary has been scrapped by the way.

Canvey Eagles v Aston Villa

Canvey 2 Aston Villa 0, this game was so much harder than the score suggests. Going up a level the CPU presses you more and it makes me panic a bit. It feels good to get off to a good start. Castolo and Ettori managed to calm my nerves. There was also an excellent double save by Ivarov in the 39th minute to deny Grealish.

Matchday 2

Sheff United v Canvey Eagles.

Last season we drew 3-3 and 1-1. The 1-1 denied us promotion. Time for revenge...?

Sheff Utd 2 Canvey 3, an excellent performance by us and it was such a battle. @mattmid I think i remember you questioning Ordaz as left winger, watch his two goals as he cut in from the left, they were excellent. Especially the last one as all the players were tired but Minanda, Hamsun, and Ordaz combined well on the edge of the box. A great finish by Ordaz. Out of all the wins I have had in this game so far, this was the most satisfying because with it being on Professional you have to concentrate more. A great start to the season :)

@geeeeee yeah I rarely if ever felt robbed in Ps2 era too, even in front of last second goals. It all feels real-life like where this kind of drama happens from time to time.

Nice matches there. I'm sure this season you'll get promoted.

Loved that double save by Ivarov in the first match and the "dirty" Castolo tap in that wrong footed the keeper. Also great 2-3 against Sheffield.

Also we talked so badly about poor Giersen in the past days that he ended up injuring himself :D

@geeeeee
What a great game that Sheff Utd one was. I thought Emerson's shot at 2-2 was in! A great save from Ivarov as well at 2-2.

Yes he came on as sub there and had a really good impact, I don't know how much of it was because the defender was tired and he was fresh but he ran him ragged. He certainly came off the wing brilliantly in that Sheff Utd game with two nice finishes, especially the second.

What a start to the season, especially with you having gone up a level too.

@Madmac79

That's really unlucky to miss out like that! Hopefully you can do well in the Masters Cup.

It's coming on nicely thanks, although now I started that little test with the ML defaults I'm having to make sure I don't get too involved in that! It looks like it's going to be a good ML version, I like what I've seen so far with injuries and lots of info to look at on all the leagues and everything seems well laid out.

That ball fell so nicely, the defender kicked it into the head of his team mate :) I just ran onto it and hit it but I really didn't expect it to fly in so beautifully! I need to upload a Stein effort from the friendly game, a quite incredible 'shinner' that almost dipped in!

What a goal @mattmid! Van den Berg's shooting is often horrendous for I remember he has nice Shot Power but unimpressive Shot Acc/Shot Tec. Interestingly, he was one of the most exciting mid-range shooters on my PES08 PS2 ML, precisely because the lack of accuracy on his shots made the trajectory of each attempt more unpredictable.

@geeeeee: I bet on Canvey Eagles securing the 1st place until the end. How are your players evolving, stats-wise?

@Madmac79: As the legendary @WhoAteMeDinner often said, the WEFA Masters Cup is more exciting than the WEFA Championships, to hell with the latter!

-----

Please...help...
...I...must...win...the...Pseudo...Champions...League...
Reached the semi-finals controlling London - Arsenal - and faced what I expected to be an accessible opponent, Deportivo de la Coruña. At the end of the 1st half I was winning 1-0 and controlling the match...but then, Valerón, Diego Tristán and the others totally destroyed our team, winning 1-2.
After finishing the 1st season on my PES5 ML, I thought I'd just play a few matches on PES2, win a pseudo-CL and then quickly get back on the horse, but not only this game is too damn enjoyable, countless attempts later with almost every top team in the PES2 world, I haven't even reached a single pseudo-CL final!
London's out of this "game", next up is Cataluña. Bayern and Inter should be after it. If I can't make it with any of these, I'll have to win the pseudo-CL with much weaker sides...

@miguelfcp aaah man, the super Depor! No shame in going out against them. They could never win CL or Uefa Cup at their top, but I remember they were a mini nightmare for anyone to face, back in the days. The made cry more than one italian club (I still remember the incredible come back against Milan in an early 00's quarter of CL, from the 1-4 of the first game to the 4-0 of the return). Not a surprise that it translates in Pes as well.

Cataluña was a great team. IIRC you should have a fantastic attack, just to say the less famous one Saviola was practically a proto-Messi stats wise. I'm sure it'll be fun.

Last edited:
After finishing the 1st season on my PES5 ML, I thought I'd just play a few matches on PES2, win a pseudo-CL and then quickly get back on the horse, but not only this game is too damn enjoyable, countless attempts later with almost every top team in the PES2 world, I haven't even reached a single pseudo-CL final!
London's out of this "game", next up is Cataluña. Bayern and Inter should be after it. If I can't make it with any of these, I'll have to win the pseudo-CL with much weaker sides...

I played a bit of PES2 yesterday. It's (and PES for that matter) always a better game than I remember. I hold ISSPE2 and PES3 in such high regard that I am duped into thinking it was filler. It's really, really not.

A last minute Jim Magilton winner in a friendly against Bulgaria literally had me out my seat, a volley crashing off the underside of the bar. On that, the sound of the ball hitting the bar or post has to be better in PES2 than it is in any other game. Such a satisfying 'crack'.

Well, so much for not getting sucked into my defaults ML tester! Lived and breathed every second of last night's game. Firstly, Ivarov had some fatigue and a purple down arrow so, to the shock of the rest of the squad, Zamenhof was selected in goal! With fatigue hitting quite hard all round there were a few changes in all. I kept with the all Scottish left side of Ruskin at LB with Edingson in LM (more of him later) which had shown promise in the second half of the last game. Van Den Berg had a tiny bit of fatigue but there was no way he wasn't starting after his last match. Hamsun continued up front as the only man to have grasped his chance up there so far.

What a match it was. 2-0 down at half time despite playing fairly well. A Churchillian half time speech had the lads flying at them after the break. First some great work from Hamsun as he pounced on a loose touch from the last defender. He moved into the box before steadying himself and driving the ball into the far corner. With 3 minutes it was that man Hamsun again, receiving a nice ball from Edingson, driving into the box before a nice back heel found VDB in a bit of space, he took a touch before rifling it towards goal. In truth the keeper should have done better but he could only help it into the net as the power was too much for him.

Then VDB played a ball through to Hamsun, again he made his way into the box, on the right side this time, he held his man off before cutting back and squaring the ball towards the middle of the area. Who was there? Edingson, swinging a right boot at it and finding the net! 3-2! One major scare later and it was all over. We'd won! The unbeaten (2 games) home record is intact and our first victory is in the bag. Up to 15th and out of the relegation zone (well if there was one in D2). Skive are top who have a perfect 5-0-0 record so far so that's one loss I can't feel too bad about as well.

Hamsun and Edingson have been superb in the last two games and VDB is quickly become a cult hero .

@mattmid: VDB is superb really, isn't he? He's been my first-choice CMF for 15 years now on that PES08 save of mine, and though he didn't evolve much of his stats, remaining a pretty mediocre player for a long time, he's one of those classic retro-PES players who always defies his statsheet and plays like a champ. His only issue is his lack of Stamina, so he'd always come off around the 60th/70th minute.

@Madmac79: That was in the unforgettable 2004 CL. Recently I re-watched both legs of that CL semifinal, Porto vs. Deportivo, and I can say that their PES2 "iteration" (which has almost all the players from that 2004 squad) played exactly as in real-life. Yes they did have a few top-tier talents like Valeron or to some extent Naybet, but guys like Manuel Pablo and Romero for example perfectly describe that team: what they lacked in footballing talent, they made up for it in soul and intelligence and bravery.

@Flipper the Priest: I was exactly on the same boat. I wasn't aware this was such an exciting game to play. It is indeed more archaic than anything PES3-onwards and isn't exactly revolutionary when compared to anything post-ISS:PE, and for that reason it took me a while to adapt to its mechanics, but now I'm fully comfortable in and enjoying it so much.

Man.. had a crazy loss against Galatasaray!
Some of my players still tired from the Cup endeavour, more than one with a grey arrow.. and this happened:

we got beaten with a final, sound 4-1!
He usually is lethal every time I meet them, but in this one Rivaldo scored an hat trick and an assist, we could almost say he destroyed my team on his own. Feels like the most dangerous CPU player I've faced as of now.

At last I figured out how you dribble in PES 1. You shouldn't use the sideways buttons, just turn straight. Just move up, down, left, right, not gradually like in PES 6.

Right i just had to go back to my uncontrollable youth and raged quit the game.

Just had the worse session in my ML and it’s because raising the difficulty has completely nerfed my players. Suddenly every player is taking longer to pass, there is a slight delay so i end up pressing the button again because it does not feel like it worked and then it does work but then the second press brings out a misplaced pass. My passes continually were going short and when they did reach the player the cpu would magically get in front.

The cpu was consistently winning second balls, unrealistically so. For example i would win the ball with a tackle but it consistently went back to the player.

On top of that the cpu players are possessed with pressing which then makes you rush because they just nick the ball easily.

Don’t get me wrong i do not have a problem with losing as the previous season had showed but those last two games were a complete struggle to enjoy simply because suddenly my players could not control the ball and could not pass.

@miguelfcp when you played this. Was you on the hardest difficulty? I was on the level below the hardest and i am wondering if the hardest one is more realistic?

Sorry for the rant guys as i know this thread is always positive. Just frustrated that i cannot change the difficulty mid season and it means playing out this whole season with possessed and seemingly nerfed players.

Hallo Community.
In Wendetta patch for PES3 game crashing after firts season of master league. The same thing happens in another PES3 Patch - World Patch 03-04. Does anyone know how to fix it?

Right i just had to go back to my uncontrollable youth and raged quit the game.

Just had the worse session in my ML and it’s because raising the difficulty has completely nerfed my players. Suddenly every player is taking longer to pass, there is a slight delay so i end up pressing the button again because it does not feel like it worked and then it does work but then the second press brings out a misplaced pass. My passes continually were going short and when they did reach the player the cpu would magically get in front.

The cpu was consistently winning second balls, unrealistically so. For example i would win the ball with a tackle but it consistently went back to the player.

On top of that the cpu players are possessed with pressing which then makes you rush because they just nick the ball easily.

Don’t get me wrong i do not have a problem with losing as the previous season had showed but those last two games were a complete struggle to enjoy simply because suddenly my players could not control the ball and could not pass.

@miguelfcp when you played this. Was you on the hardest difficulty? I was on the level below the hardest and i am wondering if the hardest one is more realistic?

Sorry for the rant guys as i know this thread is always positive. Just frustrated that i cannot change the difficulty mid season and it means playing out this whole season with possessed and seemingly nerfed players.

I just played a cup game as Spurs v Liverpool on the hardest level, Top Player, and it did play better although of course Spurs are just slightly better than Canvey Eagles. But definitely Liverpool were not pressing all over the pitch and getting every 50/50. But another thing kept happening, the game kept pausing and then i realised my controller is on its way out so that would explain why my passes were going all over the shop :P

Anyway i have ordered two more controllers but they will not turn up until 2nd or 3rd week in June :(

What a goal @mattmid! Van den Berg's shooting is often horrendous for I remember he has nice Shot Power but unimpressive Shot Acc/Shot Tec. Interestingly, he was one of the most exciting mid-range shooters on my PES08 PS2 ML, precisely because the lack of accuracy on his shots made the trajectory of each attempt more unpredictable.

@geeeeee: I bet on Canvey Eagles securing the 1st place until the end. How are your players evolving, stats-wise?

@Madmac79: As the legendary @WhoAteMeDinner often said, the WEFA Masters Cup is more exciting than the WEFA Championships, to hell with the latter!

-----

Please...help...
...I...must...win...the...Pseudo...Champions...League...
Reached the semi-finals controlling London - Arsenal - and faced what I expected to be an accessible opponent, Deportivo de la Coruña. At the end of the 1st half I was winning 1-0 and controlling the match...but then, Valerón, Diego Tristán and the others totally destroyed our team, winning 1-2.

Ha ha i think top place will be tough this season after my last session. I will let you know about their stats when i get back on there.

I am messing with PSP PESes lately, as it is more easy for me to carry them on my usb and work on them whenever i want. I want to ask if there is any user friendly tools for editing PSP games, i want the very basic for start, logos, maybe kits if possible, etc.

Offtopic:

1) Started also the search for PSP and i found some good NBA games from SCE (Sony Computer entertainment.) For PSP the last version was NBA 10: The inside and for PS3 the last was PES 09: The inside. They both seem very good games and it impresses me how between 2005~2010 almost everyone could create a better NBA game than NBA Live!

NBA 10: The Inside (PSP)

NBA 09: The Inside (PS3)

Second offtopic, based on the average age of most of us here, i assume all of you know and played the SUBBUTEO back then. I had subbuteo, but before it, i had a football board game named PRO ACTION FOOTBALL, using magnetic balls and players figures. I have to say that i found it more ergonomic and kids-friendly and i enjoyed it more than subbuteo, although the last is the most famous and active until today.
I had great matches on PRO ACTION FOOTBALL and it was the game that my father used the figures back then, to teach me everything technical about football: formations, rules, positions, tactics, the offside, everything.

@slamsoze Ah what great memories, I must have spent thousands of hours as a kid playing subbuteo with friends, brothers and even against myself if nobody else was available! Kneeling on players, sometimes giving them career ending injuries :LOL: Employing mum as groundsman to iron the pitch and get the creases out! :D

For some reason I've never heard of Pro Action Football though, looks quite a unique idea with the magnets!

@slamsoze Ah what great memories, I must have spent thousands of hours as a kid playing subbuteo with friends, brothers and even against myself if nobody else was available! Kneeling on players, sometimes giving them career ending injuries :LOL: Employing mum as groundsman to iron the pitch and get the creases out! :D

For some reason I've never heard of Pro Action Football though, looks quite a unique idea with the magnets!
Yeah it was more "on rails" i would say!!! :P :P
Oh yeah the field ironing part was a hell always, especially when mother was not home!!!! :(

I can't help but post this. Was on the last game of the season where I had to win to become Champions. I decided to record the match and I didn't expect to have an 'agueerrooo' moment (actually, I prefer 'it's up for grabs now!!' for those who know their footy trivia).

New PES doesn't give me the same thrills sadly...

@geeeeee: Well, as far as my PES08 PS2 experience goes, if you find it script-y on Professional, wait until you try it on Top Player...I was on TP on that ML of mine and I just knew that there would be certain random periods in which I wouldn't get out of a losing/non-winning streak. It's not that the game feels scripted, that you're somehow "destined" to lose a match, but it's as if you had temporarily unlocked Super-SuperStar difficulty level or something. Plus, I'd notice that some of my players would be strangely more sluggish (though they were on normal/good condition arrows), even more so when compared to how fresh the CPU's seemed.
Having played a full International Cup recently (on Top Player too), I haven't noticed this "super-doped CPU" there, so it's possible this is an "exclusive" of the ML...?

However, I have to say this is nothing compared to the post-PES08 PS2-era games. D1/D2 Cup matches on my PES2011 PSP ML save were the craziest thing I've ever played. Often I'd get wacky results like 4-3, 6-4, 5-7s - on every season I'd get at least one of these goal-fests - just because the CPU had to score when they wanted to...then I'd get mad as hell and responded to CPU cheating with good'ol-Human Cheating. This back-and-forth turned those matches into proper hockey-like encounters. Then I'd go back to the league fixtures, or a Champions League matchup, and everything would go back to normal - until the next DCup match...

@slamsoze: I can't really help about PSP PES editing, but if you want a finished work instead of doing the editing yourself, I've often mentioned OF Laziale for PES08 PS2/PSP which is just wonderful. PES2014 PSP still gets edited a lot, mostly by Brazilians it seems, Youtube is filled with patches for that iteration.

i played a lot of NBA Live PSP back in the day (NBA Live 10, I believe). My main challenge there was to conquer a "World Cup" with Angola, which would be the Basketball equivalent of winning a WEFA Cup with the Defaults! I retried it recently and was a bit disappointed. I believe once you try NBA2K11 (newgen version) it's very hard to enjoy anything else. That game was a gift from the heavens.

@jajabinx35: Long time no see, still working on your patch?

Hope everyone is staying safe in here, Football returns in some capacity today and time will tell what kind of precedent that will set for the coming weeks. Meanwhile here in this corner it's been footballing heaven, Looks like everyone has their title of choice to keep them occupied which is great and inspiring.

In between working on my EURO 2012 episodes of also had renewed interest in PES 3 (Thanks to 2 new installers from Sany's thread) I've been playing with the updated Wendetta 1.1 patch but I've found myself enjoying the PES 3 World Patch 2003-04 a little bit more as i felt the kits were more accurate for starters and it doesn't alter the original menu's and other artwork too much. I like playing patches that keep the game as faithful to the original release as possible while "correcting" the unlicensed stuff.

PES 1 was my very first football game and i remember PES 3 being the first i brought on launch and at the time i couldn't have imagined football games could really evolve or get much better then this, Which they did but on the occasions i return to PES 3 - Not only is it such a great game that holds up really well and forces you to think tactically and play like an actual team... I also can't help but reminisce and wonder how this game truly made people feel back in 2003.

I was 13 so to me it was just a good football game but i wondered whether older and more experience fans of the sport and games felt like this was footballing nirvana at the time?

Anyway i missed posting last weeks episode and i'll drop today's group stage culmination, Which was a lot of fun to make, Hope you enjoy!

It's time for Match Day 2 of Euro 2012. Including a can't miss derby between Germany & The Netherlands as well as European Champions Spain & England needing results to stay in the tournament!

The Group Stages come to an end and it's time to find out who makes it to the Final Eight!

@geeeeee In my numerous PSP PES 2008 ML's I always played on Professional difficulty. At times I noticed that my team would struggle for a few games, almost like the whole team had bad form. And at other times it felt like we could win any game. So I think there is a type of "team form" hard coded into the master league. Of course I can't prove this, but just something that seems like it is there. I have noticed this affects CPU teams as well. I remember coming up against a tough Man United team, but noticed they lost their last 2 games. We were easily able to dispatch them 3-0.

@MafiaMurderBag I rememeber playing pirate World Soccer WE7 (the japanese precursor of Pes 3 I rarely see people talking about, not the International one that came later) at 18 and in a sense it felt mind blowing, since I had great fun with WE6FE and somehow WE7 felt much better. But the thing is that not only I had a more immediate fun/reward approach to games, but generally it was a given that Konami produced great football titles one after another, so as all the good things you give for granted at the moment in a sense I've came to truly appreciate them much more later, precisely when the saga went downhill and specifically when this all Retro-thread arised.

@geeeeee: Well, as far as my PES08 PS2 experience goes, if you find it script-y on Professional, wait until you try it on Top Player...I was on TP on that ML of mine and I just knew that there would be certain random periods in which I wouldn't get out of a losing/non-winning streak. It's not that the game feels scripted, that you're somehow "destined" to lose a match, but it's as if you had temporarily unlocked Super-SuperStar difficulty level or something. Plus, I'd notice that some of my players would be strangely more sluggish (though they were on normal/good condition arrows), even more so when compared to how fresh the CPU's seemed.
Having played a full International Cup recently (on Top Player too), I haven't noticed this "super-doped CPU" there, so it's possible this is an "exclusive" of the ML...?

However, I have to say this is nothing compared to the post-PES08 PS2-era games. D1/D2 Cup matches on my PES2011 PSP ML save were the craziest thing I've ever played. Often I'd get wacky results like 4-3, 6-4, 5-7s - on every season I'd get at least one of these goal-fests - just because the CPU had to score when they wanted to...then I'd get mad as hell and responded to CPU cheating with good'ol-Human Cheating. This back-and-forth turned those matches into proper hockey-like encounters. Then I'd go back to the league fixtures, or a Champions League matchup, and everything would go back to normal - until the next DCup match...

@slamsoze: I can't really help about PSP PES editing, but if you want a finished work instead of doing the editing yourself, I've often mentioned OF Laziale for PES08 PS2/PSP which is just wonderful. PES2014 PSP still gets edited a lot, mostly by Brazilians it seems, Youtube is filled with patches for that iteration.

i played a lot of NBA Live PSP back in the day (NBA Live 10, I believe). My main challenge there was to conquer a "World Cup" with Angola, which would be the Basketball equivalent of winning a WEFA Cup with the Defaults! I retried it recently and was a bit disappointed. I believe once you try NBA2K11 (newgen version) it's very hard to enjoy anything else. That game was a gift from the heavens.

@jajabinx35: Long time no see, still working on your patch?
@geeeeee In my numerous PSP PES 2008 ML's I always played on Professional difficulty. At times I noticed that my team would struggle for a few games, almost like the whole team had bad form. And at other times it felt like we could win any game. So I think there is a type of "team form" hard coded into the master league. Of course I can't prove this, but just something that seems like it is there. I have noticed this affects CPU teams as well. I remember coming up against a tough Man United team, but noticed they lost their last 2 games. We were easily able to dispatch them 3-0.

Thanks guys for your response. I am beginning to think that I should have stayed on Regular until the team improved. I will see how it goes once I get my new controller next week, maybe it will have a special turbo boost or auto fire button. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom