The Retro-PES Corner

Hi, I saw that PES 4 was mentioned recently, and albeit my personal favourites are the simulative PES 5 and PES 2008 ps2 for its playability and the AI, nevertheless I think that PES 4 has a special vibe... it feels somehow like an older ISS title, it has a great AI, and it is arcadish in a positive way because it is probably the PES game where you feel you have maximum control over your players. Also it has some interesting ball physics (better than 6 and 2008 ps2) and it is interesting how you have to work hard to score from distance. Yes, it is not a perfect game, but it is defenitely special. The best thing is that it is, as far as I know, the only PES playable through TCP/IP, so potentially it is compatible with GameRanger and that means that it could be the only retro-PES that we could play from time to time in complete safety, without exchanging our IP's. The thing is that GameRanger did not include the game to their list yet, it seems that only Konami could do it but I do not know how to ask Konami to give GameRanger the permission to include PES 4 on its list of compatible games. Does someone know how could Konami be contacted? There is another Yu-Gi-Oh! game on GameRanger so I think Konami could also give the permission for PES 4... could anyone be interested?

PicsArt_03-05-11.02.50.jpg
I still play this gem too. Pes 4. Its very good. I also have PES 5-6 but i feel like PES 4 is a bit better. But Pes 4 doesnt have snow, so i did a bit photoshop and here's how it turned! Opinions? Im not that good at photoshop but i tried :) (btw i took this photo from Mondo Meazza's channel )

Snow looks good @Cubii97 :shiver: :)

Next match in my ML and it's Match 24 against Crystal Palace. The team is starting to gel, especially after that win against Arsenal. Don't worry guys, after the season has finished I will stop flooding you with videos and just post important matches and goals. :P

Snow looks good @Cubii97 :shiver: :)

Next match in my ML and it's Match 24 against Crystal Palace. The team is starting to gel, especially after that win against Arsenal. Don't worry guys, after the season has finished I will stop flooding you with videos and just post important matches and goals. :P

Thanks. The only unrealistic thing i see on my edit is all the players are wearing short-sleeves in that damn cold ☃❄

@Cubii97 are they faked images basically?
I can't believe someone else has done that!
I even made a thread years ago about creating fake PES screens. Never really took off.
The idea was to create the ultimate footy game, even if it was just fake screen grabs from it.

@Cubii97 are they faked images basically?
I can't believe someone else has done that!
I even made a thread years ago about creating fake PES screens. Never really took off.
The idea was to create the ultimate footy game, even if it was just fake screen grabs from it.

The original picture didnt have snow. I photoshopped the snow , snowfall etc...!

If anyone here is good with photoshop then try to create something like my edit , i enjoyed creating it so you can try it too. Would love to see what you can create!

All this fuss about snow, just play PES2008, it's all there, snow, rain, puddles, fantastic AI, transfers, just the basic things. I know only a handful agree but this still the best PES ever for me (with global speed reduction of course :P ).

Next match shows how wonderful this game is. Leicester v Southend. A huge match as Leicester are 6th with 39 points and Southend are 10th with 31 points. If we win we have an outside chance of making it into Europe.

Last edited:
Snow is in. Patch-makers are even making it so on the PS1!:

That's so cool!

I remember fondly (and REALLY vividly) how important snow was in football games in the late 90s / early 00s.

To the degree that I, along with thousands of others, bought a 3DFX Voodoo card to get snow to appear on FIFA 99 I think it was.

All this because a few people on the internet (which I could only access via my local internet café at the time) had said, if you get one, when you select "snow" weather, you got actual snowfall on the PC version (IIRC, but I'm pushing the limits of my memory here, it was present on PSX).

It turned out they lied - it just didn't snow on PC - and that I convinced my parents to buy me a REALLY expensive fancy graphics card for no reason. I was furious. And my dad was furious.

I remember being absolutely obsessed with seeing snow in a football game, because it just wasn't a thing. When it finally arrived in a game I owned, it was mesmerising.

Looking back, it feels bizarre that it was so important... Isn't it weird?

It's about time wind was in football games, it can play a huge part in real games, usually ruining them as a spectacle to be fair, but imagine having a strong wind as an extra obstacle to over come. Balls holding up in the air when you're defending or over hitting forward passes and so on.

I'm pretty sure the only football game I've ever seen Wind as an option was Dino Dini's Goal on the Amiga (amongst other platforms). I could be misremembering but I'm pretty sure it was that game. Absolutely loved that game, me and my brother played that to death. I had a thing for hitting the woodwork, so much so that he began to call me chippie!

@geeeeee Chants of "We're all going on a European Tour" heard in the Southend dressing room after the game.

All this fuss about snow, just play PES2008, it's all there, snow, rain, puddles, fantastic AI, transfers, just the basic things. I know only a handful agree but this still the best PES ever for me (with global speed reduction of course :P ).

Next match shows how wonderful this game is. Leicester v Southend. A huge match as Leicester are 6th with 39 points and Southend are 10th with 31 points. If we win we have an outside chance of making it into Europe.

Ye Pes 2008 is amazing BUT ONLY ON PS2
the PS3 version sucks. The players move like robots (my opinion)

That's so cool!

I remember fondly (and REALLY vividly) how important snow was in football games in the late 90s / early 00s.

To the degree that I, along with thousands of others, bought a 3DFX Voodoo card to get snow to appear on FIFA 99 I think it was.

All this because a few people on the internet (which I could only access via my local internet café at the time) had said, if you get one, when you select "snow" weather, you got actual snowfall on the PC version (IIRC, but I'm pushing the limits of my memory here, it was present on PSX).

It turned out they lied - it just didn't snow on PC - and that I convinced my parents to buy me a REALLY expensive fancy graphics card for no reason. I was furious. And my dad was furious.

I remember being absolutely obsessed with seeing snow in a football game, because it just wasn't a thing. When it finally arrived in a game I owned, it was mesmerising.

Looking back, it feels bizarre that it was so important... Isn't it weird?
I assume it was a complain cause it used to snow in many games, that were serious footie back then. ISS KCEO for N64, Snes ISS, IIRC possibly Superside Kicks 3 ( @*aLe can help here), maybe some Sega soccer iterations.

I mean there was a big partition of footie community, that had their roots back to that games. Snow and coin toss were things back then, so they were a demand when they had been removed from game designing, for no reason.

Also I assume that when the majority of the community, became people introduced in ISS pro Evo, that there was not snow and as all the other games except from PES and FIFA retreated, I just became something like exotic wishlist.

I remember also that we were excited to watch that CL mid-late 90s matches against Dynamo Kiev or Scandinavian teams, that the field was covered with snow, before the auto heating ground fields.

I remember also as a kid, the 1~2 times per winter that our hoods football pitch was covered by snow, we were extatic to play outside and replicate that CL matches.

Last edited:
It's about time wind was in football games, it can play a huge part in real games, usually ruining them as a spectacle to be fair, but imagine having a strong wind as an extra obstacle to over come. Balls holding up in the air when you're defending or over hitting forward passes and so on.

I'm pretty sure the only football game I've ever seen Wind as an option was Dino Dini's Goal on the Amiga (amongst other platforms). I could be misremembering but I'm pretty sure it was that game. Absolutely loved that game, me and my brother played that to death. I had a thing for hitting the woodwork, so much so that he began to call me chippie!

@geeeeee Chants of "We're all going on a European Tour" heard in the Southend dressing room after the game.

It was also in Wembley International Soccer (1994, Amiga).

@Cubii97
It looks pretty good. Wouldn't have known otherwise 👍
@mattmid
That game was amazing. So many hours spent on that.
goal_6.png

The problem is the players think that means travelling on the A127 stopping off at Canvey, Pitsea, and Basildon :LOL:

Ye Pes 2008 is amazing BUT ONLY ON PS2
the PS3 version sucks. The players move like robots (my opinion)
Yep you are so right. And because of that people avoid it like the plaque even though it is so good on the PS2 ;)

I assume it was a complain cause it used to snow in many games, that were serious footie back then. ISS KCEO for N64, Snes ISS, IIRC possibly Superside Kicks 3 ( @*aLe can help here), maybe some Sega soccer iterations.
I don't think Super Sidekicks 3 had snow (maybe @The_Knight could help here) but surely Virtua Striker 2 had at least in the version released for Dreamcast (and Naomi I guess, seeing that it was ported from there): it would definitely snow when you chose Yukichan United, and I also remember that teams would play with a plain red ball instead of the usual "Tricolore".
It was just a cosmetic thing though, it had no effect on how the game played.
(as a bonus, it also had confetti on the pitch that would actually lift off and then fly for a little when a player passed over them. That was a nice touch: it added nothing to the gameplay but it was very cool to see).
Snow had an effect on the match in ISS 64 and following ones though, of that I'm sure: players would slip if turning too quickly when raining or snowing and it was one of the "ooooh that's great" moments I remember about those games.

@Chris Davies are you sure that snow wasn't there/couldn't be seen in FIFA 99 for PC? I seem to remember it being there at least in the form of sleet but maybe I'm wrong (or I'm getting confused with FIFA 98 on Nintendo 64).
I remember that FIFA 99 looked way different on different machines: it had a software rendering mode, a hardware rendering mode (that would behave differently according to how "good" the video card was) and such... So maybe that's the reason.

Last edited:
Snow was in the FIFA games of the late 90s, including the orange ball.
Can't remember if it affected the gameplay though.

Talking of snow, don't know if it's just here but what's with playing with a yellow ball in the snow now instead of orange. The Orange ball is much more visible!

@Titch Yeah Goal was my favourite football game by a mile until PES reached the PC. I also loved the zoomed out view as well because you didn't get that claustrophobic feeling of the likes of Kick Off and even SWOS to an extent, where you could hardly seen any of the pitch.

I don't think Super Sidekicks 3 had snow (maybe @The_Knight could help here)

Well the version I have in the arcade machine was SS2 which didn't have snow :/

I actually never was impressed with any snow effect in any game to date. Felt it was overdone most of the time...

Back
Top Bottom