The Retro-PES Corner

Past days I started the new season in Pes 13.

Was as tough as expected! Lost the first three games 0-3 against Fiorentina, another 0-3 against Inter (one of the best team of the league), 0-1 against Bologna.

Luckily things started to get better after this last one. Did a great match against Roma, who is another powerhouse of the tournament, and unexpectedely grabbed my first win in Serie A with a pyrotechnic 3-2. Did another good draw against Milan (they are really good as well).

Most heartwarming, "Pesish" thing of this two last matches, was that Gerardi, my bomber for the first seasons who gradually played less and less, came to rescue as the desperation move from the bench and scored the last minute winning goal against Roma with this beautiful header (sharing it cause it's kinda rare for me to score one in 13, let alone a so well directed and distant one):

AND the draw against Milan as well. He surely earned himself more field time!

Is anyone an expert on Jenkey's gameplay tool?
So i had the last pesedit patch installed for 2012, i think its exe 1.6 and DLC 4.0(both the latest), and i could attach the gameplay tool to the exe which was a 6.3 or something. On its header it says it only supports up to exe 1.3 but i just checked the last release which should support exe 1.6 too but in its header it says the same...who knows that is accountable.
Point is i have downloaded Yair's exe, its 1.6 too, just to check out his mod. So succesfully attached to it the kitserver and the gameplaytool. But it turned out its not compatible with pesedit as i lost some of the team badges and who knows what else....
....so i wanted to revert back to the original exe, but now it turns out i cant attach the gameplay tool to literaly any exe, no matter the version. Kitserver still works. The config says exe file is not supported. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Is anyone an expert on Jenkey's gameplay tool?
So i had the last pesedit patch installed for 2012, i think its exe 1.6 and DLC 4.0(both the latest), and i could attach the gameplay tool to the exe which was a 6.3 or something. On its header it says it only supports up to exe 1.3 but i just checked the last release which should support exe 1.6 too but in its header it says the same...who knows that is accountable.
Point is i have downloaded Yair's exe, its 1.6 too, just to check out his mod. So succesfully attached to it the kitserver and the gameplaytool. But it turned out its not compatible with pesedit as i lost some of the team badges and who knows what else....
....so i wanted to revert back to the original exe, but now it turns out i cant attach the gameplay tool to literaly any exe, no matter the version. Kitserver still works. The config says exe file is not supported. Any ideas?

Sorry man, no idea. Maybe keep the saves and just reinstall the whole thng?

Sorry man, no idea. Maybe keep the saves and just reinstall the whole thng?

Unfortunately it did not work...maybe i was playing without the tool and i got tricked? :LMAO: So isnt there a gameplay tool which is compatible with the 1.6 exe at all?
[PES2012] Gameplay tool - Version 6.4.6 - should be but i cant find a working link for it.

I could attach the tool to the 1.0 exe but whenever i upgraded the exe with pesedit i cant attach to it anymore. Not even the latest one as i said. I have no idea how it worked before but i was surely tweaking the ball speed to my preference. And oh the game uninstalled my ML save too on top :D no idea again how is that possible, i have all kinds of legacy PES save folders without the games installed there from every generation but this one which im playing of course its included in the uninstall. I hate PCs.

Last edited:
Unfortunately it did not work...maybe i was playing without the tool and i got tricked? :LMAO: So isnt there a gameplay tool which is compatible with the 1.6 exe at all?
[PES2012] Gameplay tool - Version 6.4.6 - should be but i cant find a working link for it.

I could attach the tool to the 1.0 exe but whenever i upgraded the exe with pesedit i cant attach to it anymore. Not even the latest one as i said. I have no idea how it worked before but i was surely tweaking the ball speed to my preference. And oh the game uninstalled my ML save too on top :D no idea again how is that possible, i have all kinds of legacy PES save folders without the games installed there from every generation but this one which im playing of course its included in the uninstall. I hate PCs.

Damn, it royally sucks that uninstalling deleted your saves as well. It's a complete new one to me as well, never happened with any kind of patch/version I can think of.

Unfortunately I have no familiarity with the Pes 2012 gp tool. I've even searched for it time ago and could't find it anywhere.

Damn, it royally sucks that uninstalling deleted your saves as well. It's a complete new one to me as well, never happened with any kind of patch/version I can think of.

Unfortunately I have no familiarity with the Pes 2012 gp tool. I've even searched for it time ago and could't find it anywhere.

Yeah a little heads up for everyone. Usually i have to manually clean the Konami directry for other PES titles and saves and files to free up some space. This seems to be an exception.

Found a torrent for PESVN patch 2012, that has this GP tool version installed....its not really seeding but this is the only "working" source so far. All the links on all sites point to Jenkey's original links which are dead.

@Madmac79: Many thanks Mad. I rewatched Porto's CL run in 2004 and Carlos Alberto just put on a show, though he only arrived mid-season. What a talent he was. You could see, like many other young talents, he didn't have the pro player mentality yet - at a certain point during the match he would just become exhausted, either mentally or physically or both - and arguably that's one of the factors that contributed to his downfall. The other is the fact that he, looking back, should have left Porto after our CL conquest. Our 2004/05 season was horrible - though we conquered the Intercontinental Cup...- because the majority of the players of the Mourinho era wanted to leave for better clubs; but after selling Paulo Ferreira, Deco and Ricardo Carvalho, the club naturally didn't want to sell any more of them. As a consequence, the likes of Costinha, Maniche, Nuno Valente, Derlei, McCarthy and others kept playing for Porto but against their will. Obviously that didn't go very well. That turbulent campaign led us to waste phenomenal talents, not just Carlos Alberto but Diego and Luis Fabiano, who would fail to impress here but later on would go on to have awesome careers playing for other clubs.

Reading their names again, I remember very well how great Diego played in Werder Bremen. Everybody was wondering how on earth Porto sold him at a very cheap price (5M I think). He replaced Micoud who was one of their key players when they won 2004 Championship and Cup in Germany. After the first few games Micoud was almost forgotten. A year later, Werder tried to repeat this by buying another Brazilian from Porto, Carlos Alberto. They were fighting with Hamburg (both teams that played in European cups at the time, seems like it was a million years ago) to sign him, I think he was their record transfer, and he was such a disappontment that even many years later he was voted by a football magazine in Germany as the worst transfer in history of Bundesliga... Remebered for being a colossal flop, starting a fight with a team mate during a training and arriving late from his holidays in Brazil. Sorry, just had to share my memories here :D

I am having some lags with my laptop when playing PES 5/6 recently, especially the patches with all the amazing faces, kits and stadiums so I wonder what the reason could be. Maybe after 8,5 years I need a new laptop... when I tried to record a Video of a goal it was extremely slow. I wonder what you guys recommend for a PC/Laptop, specs etc as I have no clue of computers but just know how to use them. I just want to play the old gems smoothly and record some gameplay footage maybe. Maybe a link or two of suitable devices on amazon or something?

@Fenomeno9 Thanks for that, when I read @miguelfcp 's post I knew I knew Diego from somewhere but couldn't recall where.

Have you got the d3d8.dll and (I think enbconverter.ini) in your konami folder out of interest because that solves the lags/stutters for most on win10, assuming you are using win 10. They are linked somewhere in this thread I believe if you haven't. Would certainly be worth trying those first if you don't have them in the folder.

@miguelfcp

This might go over your head as you may well never have heard of the show but I knew I'd seen that keeper before

kryt.jpgimages.jpg

Last edited:
A fresh-faced Craig Gordon on fire. And Hartley jams his home in style. He scored a hat trick of pens on his Aberdeen debut, as an aside. Don't see that every day.

Had a shocker getting PES6 to work on my PS3. I understand it - of all PESes - has the most issues with emulation. Only worked on 60Hz, and as long I button bashed to get past the menu screen before freezing. These are legit ISOs ripped from discs as well. Pass.

And here's an Edwin Zoetebier meltdown, at random.

I've learned a lot about PES3/WE7/WE7I option files over the last 48 hours, I'll tell you that much. Almost there with my special project though...

@Fenomeno9 Thanks for that, when I read @miguelfcp 's post I knew I knew Diego from somewhere but couldn't recall where.

Have you got the d3d8.dll and (I think enbconverter.ini) in your konami folder out of interest because that solves the lags/stutters for most on win10, assuming you are using win 10. They are linked somewhere in this thread I believe if you haven't. Would certainly be worth trying those first if you don't have them in the folder.

@miguelfcp

This might go over your head as you may well never have heard of the show but I knew I'd seen that keeper before

View attachment 69682View attachment 69684

Thanks a lot, I will look for these files. I am using Windows 10

Diego was a genius for Werder, when they sold him to Juventus he disappointed and returned to Germany a year later, playing for Wolfsburg but he could not return to his form from the time in Bremen. Also he was another player who had some problems with Wolfsburg coach/manager Felix Magath then. I think he is still playing today for Flamengo or something.

Carlos Alberto was by the way also called Chaos Alberto in boulevard. In Bremen they thought they were able to handle him because they managed to get the best out of Diego and Ailton, another Brazilian diva that had brillant years in Bremen but was never able to repeat his success in the many, many other teams he played after leaving Bremen for Schalke as they offered him a lot of money, a decision he regret immediately after signing with them. Another one of the Brazilian Bundesliga stars of that era, great on the pitch and extravagant outside, like Marcelinho to name another one. Enough with my memories for today :D:ZZZ:Good night

Ahhh the names!

Magath was a cunt apparently, never liked him. I recall tons of players complaining about him.

Diego aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa I had him in a Master League as Bayer Leverkusen I think around 2009 or so. What a talent that was! Reminds me of another Werder playmaker Johan Micoud, both ended up way, way below their potential.

Ailton too oh my god Ailton, Ivan Klasnić, Frings, Borowski, Tim Wiese in goal, they won Bundesliga that one time and of course Bayern had to spend hundred million euros just to retake the throne. This is unfair, Bayern should get banned for real.

http://enbdev.com/convertor_dx8_dx9_v0036.htm - ENB here.

@Flipper the Priest , maybe you can help me (but whoever else might know, of course speak! My mental sanity is at stake :D).

I was pretty sure that in ISS 64 Scotland had a kit with the cross of the scottish flag placed vertically as the main theme (like this: istockphoto-1132207029-1024x1024.jpg, but the blue part obviously much, much darker as the colour of the first national scottish shirt is). I liked it so much that whenever I thought about running a world cup/Euro with proper qualifications came in, I used to vaguely think "yeah, there is always the option of recreate that sweet shirt and run as Scotland".

Problem is that, to the opposite of what I was almost 100% sure until some minutes ago, I discovered with a bit of a shock that Scotland doesn't have a similar shirt in N64. And it isn't in any of the other football game I can think about.

Do you have an idea if something similar to what I described could have been in some other early football game I can't think about? Or did my mind really created a false memory, maybe from some promotional fake shoot, maybe confusing it with some other football kit or whatever :D ? (Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if it is the case)

Last edited:
Don't forget Klose at the same time at Werder as well. Klasnic was the guy who had a kidney transplant wasn't he and made a come back as well.

@Flipper the Priest , maybe you can help me (but whoever else might know, of course speak! My mental sanity is at stake :D).

I was pretty sure that in ISS 64 Scotland had a kit with the cross of the scottish flag placed vertically as the main theme (like this: View attachment 69712, but the blue part obviously much, much darker as the colour of the first national scottish shirt is). I liked it so much that whenever I thought about running a world cup/Euro with proper qualifications came in, I used to vaguely think "yeah, there is always the option of recreate that sweet shirt and run as Scotland".

Problem is that, to the opposite of what I was almost 100% sure until some minutes ago, I discovered with a bit of a shock that Scotland doesn't have a similar shirt in N64. And it isn't in any of the other football game I can think about.

Do you have an idea if something similar to what I described could have been in some other early football game I can't think about? Or did my mind really created a false memory, maybe from some promotional fake shoot, maybe confusing it with some other football kit or whatever :D ? (Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if it is the case)

That's a good question... It rings bells, and you might be right. I'm thinking it could be one of the 'others', outside of the Konami and EA families. Scotland have never had a shirt like that in real life, so I think it's over to one of the sloppier developers over the years who may have just looked at the flag and thought: "meh, something like that". The short answer is, for now: I don't know, I'm afraid!

----------

Don't think I've shared this guy before, from my editing travails:

Miguel Miranda.jpg

He seems to be completely made up. This is in WE7I, but I'm pretty sure he's in PES3, too. I can't even find a similar player by a different name. This is Portugal we're talking about, not one of the smaller nations where Konami get a bit sketchy. Can anyone shed any light? Our resident Portuguese @miguelfcp - I'm looking at you! 😁

@mattmid: I have no idea, but that face is strangely familiar...
images-jpg.69684
Mussolini-e1405042269468.jpg

@Flipper the Priest: I was browsing the thread before logging in so I couldn't see your image on full size, yet I already knew who the player was. The story of Miguel Miranda has been on my list of articles to be written for a while now. 17 years later and I am still as clueless as I was back in 2003 about his identity. There was a contemporary Miguel Miranda who was a pro basketball player here, the only famous Miguel Miranda in Portuguese sports. If this isn't another To Madeira, it is probably the real name of a footballer that goes by a nickname...but who? That isn't his default statsheet, is it? I believe his is significantly worse than that. If so, he was most likely playing for some mid-table Portuguese 1st division side...

@Flipper the Priest: I was browsing the thread before logging in so I couldn't see your image on full size, yet I already knew who the player was. The story of Miguel Miranda has been on my list of articles to be written for a while now. 17 years later and I am still as clueless as I was back in 2003 about his identity. There was a contemporary Miguel Miranda who was a pro basketball player here, the only famous Miguel Miranda in Portuguese sports. If this isn't another To Madeira, it is probably the real name of a footballer that goes by a nickname...but who? That isn't his default statsheet, is it? I believe his is significantly worse than that. If so, he was most likely playing for some mid-table Portuguese 1st division side...

That's the default stats in WE7I. Maybe he's worse in PES3. Wouldn't it be typical of Konami to tweak the stats of a made up player after six months...

I've searched high and low. I remembered he is in PES3 as I spent an insane amount of time looking for the real Miguel Miranda. All your usual websites, CM database - the lot. Nothing by name, even by the description. The basketball player appeared repeatedly, plus a goalkeeping coach at Sporting.

It's a puzzler. I'd love to see their workings as to why he's there.

@Flipper the Priest: Interesting. I'll check it later but I'm 99% sure he has one of those weird attribute sheets so typical of PES3; like a 50-something Attack but high stamina or speed - shocking values (and discrepancies) for a Portuguese NT footballer.

I've searched a few Portuguese first division sides on both the 2002/03 and the 2003/04 season, and even found a handy collection of all the players who disputed friendly matches during 2002 and 2003 for Portugal's national team...but found nothing. It is rare for a non-Porto/Sporting/Benfica footballer to be called up to the NT; naturally the mighty Boavista of the early 2000s was able to break that monopoly, with the likes of Frechaut; Braga has done the same since the 2010s decade. Once in a blue moon the likes of Vitória de Guimarães or Vitória de Setúbal are able to get there, but very rarely. This Miguel Miranda is not on any of those typically top-5/6/7 Portuguese sides; if he was on a mid-table team it'll be a bit shocking now that I think about it, considering the midfield Portugal had at the time with the likes of Costinha, Maniche, Deco, Rui Costa, then Figo, Cristiano Ronaldo, Sérgio Conceição, Simão and Boa Morte as side midfielders/wingers...not exactly the right time to call up such a mediocre player...

----

Zaragoza will never forget this virtual afternoon in Ennio Tardini...

IMG_1385.JPG

I'm halfway through the season on my restart of the Parma ML I decided to play, and this time, good news, I've gotten my Wonderkid Fever under control. I reached the winter transfer window on the 3rd place of the D2 with the same points as the 2nd and 1 point away from the 1st, so we're still hanging on to our promotion hopes. If on my previous attempt I had bought Heitinga and Babel right away, which ultimately led the club to financial ruin, I played it safe this time: though I once again cleaned up all the trash in the roster, I settled for two young - and much, much cheaper - centre-backs: one of them is Coda, a CB with loads of potential; the other is this guy, who will forever be known for his PES5 name, Joy Raisun. He looks mediocre, doesn't he? Well, I bought him because of my previous adventures with China's national team; Raisun was always a defensive pillar on those experiences and quickly became one of my favourites (high mental stats are very important to me also, so he fits right in). No, my friend Xi Jinping obviously didn't influence my decision. As you can see on the screenshot above, he scored on his debut through a penalty kick, alongside Meier.

Who is Meier? I was happy with Raisun and Coda as my only winter acquisitions but Milan decided to pay about 3000 PES for sideback Pasquale; despite his potential, I don't like his low mental stats so I let him go. Now, with some extra PES Points on my wallet, I thought: what could be acquired for 3000 PES? It turns out, not much: I searched for the lowest salaries in this game to see if I could find some hidden, underpaid gem and amidst all the complete and utter crap, there is a 195cm German attacking midfielder with superb balance and mediocre stats all around. Heh, why not, let's give him a shot. I've played him off the bench as a striker and on his first two matches he scores two goals, including one of our 9-1 beating.

As for the future, I know I said before that I wanted to grab some wonderkids for this Parma team, but to me it is more fun to build these underdog rosters. My current situation can be described as seen below:

4o8vb0.jpg

Anyway, I do know I still want to give Savi the career he never had, and so far he's been having loads of minutes, evolving nicely. Here's the proof he has not only the skill but also the grit:

Last edited:
Dug it out (had the editor open anyway):

Miguel Miranda.jpg

PES3 on the left, WE7I on the right. Nice that they gave him a birthday. Hope he enjoyed himself.

I really didn't want to touch the squads in my WE7I OF, but I had to take him out. Ronaldo - not in the squad - the natural choice as he fairly racked up the minutes that season.

@Flipper the Priest: Such a drastic change...I smell Tó Madeira. I know that's my first name and the "un-konamized" name of my favourite ML Default, but I swear I had nothing to do with Miguel Miranda's creation.

@Madmac79: I was able to sell winger Pisanu on my previous attempt, which means I was able to sell two benchwarmers in PES5. This is surely a record! Now I shall patiently wait fifteen virtual years until the next offer...

@Flipper the Priest: Such a drastic change...I smell Tó Madeira. I know that's my first name and the "un-konamized" name of my favourite ML Default, but I swear I had nothing to do with Miguel Miranda's creation.

It's all becoming clear now...

I see 'the Wardrobe' Papa Bouba Diop has passed. A player I was drawn to signing in Master Leagues as I loved him in real life because he was basically a bus with legs. I'm sure @mattmid will have more substantial memories of the man.

@Flipper the Priest regarding my BING-ing experience. algorythm seems to adapted to a learing curve, now most footballers give me the transfermarkt equivalents of portuguese and brazilian page. But it still avoids other soccer-related pages, like ogol, soccerway, etc, and for some reason it does not give any wikipedia in the first pages.

I.E. Neto Moura (Ex Recife, current Ponte Preta)

The third result thought gives me :

" Rodrigo Moura-Neto Carlos Schrago In forensic genetics, the likelihood ratio (LR), measuring the value of DNA profile evidence, is computed from a database of allele frequencies. "

A lot MS Bing love for medical staff!!!! :P

@Flipper the Priest regarding my BING-ing experience. algorythm seems to adapted to a learing curve, now most footballers give me the transfermarkt equivalents of portuguese and brazilian page. But it still avoids other soccer-related pages, like ogol, soccerway, etc, and for some reason it does not give any wikipedia in the first pages.

Not gleaning Wikipedia is the cardinal sin of search engines when it comes to looking for footballers. Google can be bad for it but in my limited use of Bing I've noticed it hates it!

My usual trawl is:

- https://www.wikipedia.org/
- https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/
- https://uk.soccerway.com/
- https://www.footballdatabase.eu/en/
- https://www.national-football-teams.com/
- https://www.worldfootball.net/
- https://www.soccerassociation.com/

Sometimes other, more obscure websites come up but not with any regularity. If desperate I'll go to a CM database, or even an equivalent year's FIFA!

Not pictured: Miguel Miranda.

Oh dear this is a sad thing. I still remember his goal against France. You know, that was an absolute upset at the time. Senegal, at their first appearance ever in a World Cup, defeating the reigning champions...

I loved that Senegal team because it was probably the last unknown in World Cup history. Almost to a man the squad was France-based but coverage of French domestic football in the UK at that time extended to brief highlights from a few games on Eurogoals. Barely anyone was playing for the top clubs, or even the smaller ones in European competition. Social media wasn't a thing, websites like the one above were in their infancy and even then information about African international football was scant to put it mildly.

Your best source of exposure may well have been gaming at the time, and even then I, personally, wasn't playing the games with broader coverage like CM or FIFA.

And yet here comes this team with everything you want as a neutral. Attacking, skillful, pacey, positive. And we were blissfully unaware that El-Hadji Diouf was horrible. Another thing that was nice about them is that they had a discipline and level of organisation that went against the grain of the stereotype of African nations that the UK had pinned up since Cameroon in 1990. Wow, that just reminded me that I wrote an essay on xenophobia in football writing when I was at university. Probably still relevant now, sadly.

France were appalling that year. I know Zidane was injured for the first (maybe second game) but still they had the quality to see them through.

Oddly enough my most enduring memory of that group was Morales's miss for Uruguay against Senegal. I've just unearthed the highlights and it wraps up my post nicely: that miss was hilarious, Diouf was horrible, and Diop was great:

It's all becoming clear now...

I see 'the Wardrobe' Papa Bouba Diop has passed. A player I was drawn to signing in Master Leagues as I loved him in real life because he was basically a bus with legs. I'm sure @mattmid will have more substantial memories of the man.

Yes, very sad news to hear that. He was a good solid (literally!) player for us and judging from the things being said by other players that played with him an absolute gentleman and all round good bloke. Sad to lose anyone at any age of course, but particularly so at just 42. Part of our FA Cup winning team and part of a team that had a few top quality African players* around that time as that was a bit of thing for Harry at the time, only to then moan about being down to the bare bones when they all cleared off to play in the African Nations Cup in January!

* Djimi Traore and Collins Mbesuma (signed based off of a video, I kid you not) are not included.

A classic. Number one is sensational. My favourite own goal of all time, along with Jamie Pollock's. Referenced it on Twitter not that long ago.

...only to then moan about being down to the bare bones when they all cleared off to play in the African Nations Cup in January!

That's football though, always about having the cake and eating it (see: Klopp and scheduling)!

Back
Top Bottom