eFootball PES 2020 Discussion Thread (PC)

Tactics means nothing when it comes to the scripting. Just look at the patterns of play and you'll see that no matter what formation/tactics you employ you'll always be forced to play a certain way.
How so? I play false 9 which gives me options as liverpool and then central attack when i bring origi on as that doesnt suit his style. I don't believe your forced to play a certain way at all

And another thing...... anyone noticed how the 2nd ball from Corners/Free Kicks (if you ever get one) always goes to the CPU too ?
I get both and don't notice this at all, for corners they usually drop to my player at edge of box and i spread it back out wide to the corer kicker once he is back onside

Quick question: I can’t remember, so please help me. Was the demo better (more active) in terms of AI attacking compared to the vanilla?!

AI was more direct, dribbling AI was much more agressive. But i think it was way too direct and the passing and maybe the shooting variety is inferior to the latest patch.

Tactics means nothing when it comes to the scripting. Just look at the patterns of play and you'll see that no matter what formation/tactics you employ you'll always be forced to play a certain way.
True as that may be that doesn't mean anything for space between midfield and defence, no?

To be honest, without going into each team and player and clicking reset I’m not sure. However, how about downloading one of the excellent J or K League OFs and importing the teams from there over the top?
Where is the reset button? Its only 20 teams so I'm happy to do it

How do I reset?

TBH, I don't know, but it always used to be an option in the section where you edit the player/team. You'd need to do every player, if it is still possible, though.

Edit: after Googling, not sure if it's still possible - if you can't figure it out, just import some K League teams over them:

TBH, I don't know, but it always used to be an option in the section where you edit the player/team. You'd need to do every player, if it is still possible, though.

Edit: after Googling, not sure if it's still possible - if you can't figure it out, just import some K League teams over them:
It's alright in the end I just deleted the edit file

True as that may be that doesn't mean anything for space between midfield and defence, no?
But that's just a pattern of play emerging due to the nature of AI behaviour specific to PES2020. In other words the AI is happy for you to have the ball (particularly in your own half and usually up to halfway) until you begin to move deeper into their half then they close you down (usually in 3s). The speed at which you're closed down depends on how central you go. How is this relevant to what you said? Well, when you break quickly from your own box you'll see a midfield gap appear but that quickly disappears as you enter their half as the AI always remains deep (to maintain the script), which is pretty much the AI's main method of defending.

But this closing down isn't unique to PES 2020 (however that 'gap' is) but that the AI now employs 3+ defenders to shut you down (simultaneously) is more unique and the AI always sitting deep bit is unique too. It's a lazy, cheap but effective method of maintaining blanket consistency in terms of preventing a sea of goals or preventing anyone doing what they want 100%. The problem is it makes the gameplay very dull/repetitive where you find more often than not you're forced to play a certain way. But before anyone gets their back up - Please don't try to undermine or counter my argument by claiming you've scored some amazing team goals because 1). One-twos don't count and 2). For those team goals, where most of the team are actually involved (that ended with some diving header off the back of a short forward whipped low cross) we've all scored and if we're honest they only occur when the 'script' shuts off for that temporary period where you're actually allowed to play as you want.

On a side note however;

Regarding realism, the game will never be realistic until we can control (consistently) more than one player. The AI can control everyone while we can only control 1 player and that advantage the AI has is becoming increasingly apparent.
So many times I've players around me who are doing nothing to help or support me yet for the AI this isn't the case.

Another thing I've noticed about the play and movement in relation to pathing is that it's the players who move around the balls set path, so the animations etc will all fit into the movement of the ball, this is serious problem as it shows that what you do is largely irrelevant because you've actually being governed by the movement of the ball and the ball pace changes pace very subtly to coincide with distance and action outcomes. So essentially the pathing is subtly dictated by the AI which controls the ball's movement AND NOT THE PLAYER's ACTIONS.

Look closely as you travel with the ball and look at how odd the player behaves in relation to the movement of the ball. They're completely out of sync then keep an eye on the ball as your player guides and moves with it, it's really unnatural.

P.S. I honestly can't stand this game, it's f**king so bad this year, the way the AI works makes the game so limiting as time and time again I'm seeing the same patterns. Ball movements dictates player movement. Do a trick you get past one defender only for your player to take a massive touch straight into the second defender, over and over. You try to shift direction (drop shoulder/feint etc) and the AI just stands off or even when you do beat him he just speeds up and catches you on the turn anyway because the game slows you down and speeds him up. I get the same closing down patterns over and over and over. Same linear patterns, funnelled down certain areas of the pitch, same inconsistencies occurring with controls, tricks, movement and ball physics the moment I get closer to the goal. The game may feel slower but that doesn't mean a thing when the entirety of attacking play is utterly dictated in this manner. I really can't do what I want and I'm not asking much, I just want simple basic things. I want inertia to work to mean something, I want speed to be a consistent thing, I want the controls to remain consistent. I mean every bloody time I try to move around a defender I notice something change about my controls or the movement of the players and that's the only consistent thing about this game. On the outside it looks real but underneath this game is fucking ugly as hell and it's actually more linear than pacman so stuff the realism shite or arguing you've more options, I'll take pacman at least there's consistency!!! Playing this nonsense is a an insult to my intelligence. The fact people like it is actually scaring me, now I only referring to the current PC version, I've no clue what the rest are like but this game is an insult to human intelligence, I feel like a monkey playing it and I'm fearful of those who do like it because understanding what is actually going on with this game requires a measure of intelligence.

Ditto! Do you not find that klashmans tactics go a long way in mitigating this though? It's far from not present but to me with and without tactics is like night and day.
I think Klashman's tactics help a lot in the overall way the game plays. To me though the instant retreat and AI backing off into their 'set' positions is something which has been around for the last few years on PES and I think it goes beyond the tactics. I was quite surprised to see Konami come out and say they'll be fixing it (how they missed it for this long I don't understand). I guess we'll find out Thursday how successful the change is...

Last edited:
Yes, the scripting is really strong in this one. It has always been in PES that when the cpu wants to score it does. But now I have experienced another kind of scripting. Letting me score a goal. Happened a few times now. The game was really tight defensively and I was hardly getting any chances on goal. Then in 95th minute I got a freekick and after a couple of bumbs the ball ended up in the feet of my midfielder who scored the dramatic winner. At first I felt happy. Then I watched the replay and realized it was just an AI script to create that drama. I felt dissappointed. They've managed to strip away the enjoyment of winning.

So the AI decides if I win or not and online games are shit (opponent quits if losing). What's left?

If the series continues this way, it'll end up being a visual novel. Makes no difference what you do. Press a button and watch. Oh goodie what fun!!!

Last edited:
Regarding realism, the game will never be realistic until we can control (consistently) more than one player. The AI can control everyone while we can only control 1 player and that advantage the AI has is becoming increasingly apparent.
So many times I've players around me who are doing nothing to help or support me yet for the AI this isn't the case.

It sounds like you're after the teammate controls

I've not messed around with this yet this year (too many 'balls' to juggle already at the moment), but not sure if this is harder to pull off now that RS controls with the ball at your feet have changed a bit.

It sounds like you're after the teammate controls

I've not messed around with this yet this year (too many 'balls' to juggle already at the moment), but not sure if this is harder to pull off now that RS controls with the ball at your feet have changed a bit.

I thought someone might bring this up but 'assisted/manual teammate controls' is not a new or unique thing to PES2020, it's been in the game some years now and it's only use is to send a player in front of you forward (best used on assisted), the consistency of this ability is directly tied to the scripting so when the computer doesn't want you to win you'll find this control wont help as it either wont switch in time (perfectly timed not to work) or your running player will not run beyond the defender you want him to, he'll actually stay exactly in line, thus rendering the ability pointless. When the AI isn't dictating too much then yes your player will make the straight run forward into space so you could through lob etc (provided you're using assisted). Manual is just an omni-shambles.

Yes, the scripting is really strong in this one. It has always been in PES that when the cpu wants to score it does. But now I have experienced another kind of scripting. Letting me score a goal. Happened a few times now. The game was really tight defensively and I was hardly getting any chances on goal. Then in 95th minute I got a freekick and after a couple of bumbs the ball ended up in the feet of my midfielder who scored the dramatic winner. At first I felt happy. Then I watched the replay and realized it was just an AI script to create that drama. I felt dissappointed. They've managed to strip away the enjoyment of winning.

So the AI decides if I win or not and online games are shit (opponent quits if losing). What's left?

If the series continues this way, it'll end up being a visual novel. Makes no difference what you do. Press a button and watch. Oh goodie what fun!!!
Exactly the point I arrived at, I no longer want to be a mere pawn in this scripted nonsense. Once you eyes are open they can't be closed. As you say it's just as insulting to be 'allowed' to score as it is to be powerless to prevent a goal and the game just facilitates between the two, albeit at very subtle levels. Your mistakes are largely not your own when it matters - that's not football, more importantly it's not what makes a game fair and enjoyable - how has this company lost sight of the basics?

I thought someone might bring this up but 'assisted/manual teammate controls' is not a new or unique thing to PES2020, it's been in the game some years now and it's only use is to send a player in front of you forward (best used on assisted), the consistency of this ability is directly tied to the scripting so when the computer doesn't want you to win you'll find this control wont help as it either wont switch in time (perfectly timed not to work) or your running player will not run beyond the defender you want him to, he'll actually stay exactly in line, thus rendering the ability pointless. When the AI isn't dictating too much then yes your player will make the straight run forward into space so you could through lob etc (provided you're using assisted). Manual is just an omni-shambles.

I didn't say it was new (I specifically said I hadn't touched it yet this year).
Having your player run beyond the last defender is virtually pointless, they would be offside. Unless you're trying to curve a run back onside and off again to wrong foot a defender, but you certainly aren't triggering that on basic.
I found the ability far more useful on manual than assisted in previous years. Your AI teammates are fairly consistent in making straight runs. it;s the other directions which it's most useful in adding. My favourite in the past was a CM cutting in front of the fowards to either draw one CB or end up free for a header.

The biggest issue is really not having enough buttons/sticks (or hands/fingers) to do what I really want. That's where the joy of playing co-op comes in.

Just downloaded last konami updated faces and added via DPFile Gen. but in game you can see wrong attachment hair/face as you can see below
Any ideas why ?
BTW why konami took away latest face update ?

Just downloaded last konami updated faces and added via DPFile Gen. but in game you can see wrong attachment hair/face as you can see below
Any ideas why ?

It wasn't meant to be released then - full one is released tomorrow so just hold on and Ramsey and James will be looking good in the Wales attack!

Any ideas why ?

It's released tomorrow what did you download exactly?

Yeah, here in Brazil it's live, too. I am finishing the download.

1.2 gb, it's a hell of update!

Edit: In the download folder, the dt80_200E_x64.cpk has 1.5 gb. :SHOCK:

Back
Top Bottom