Metal Gear Solid 4

Re: Metal Gear Solid 4 (PS3) on 12th June 2008

That part at the end...

...where he fights Liquid in the final battle was great. The part where he whacks Liquid's head so hard against the metal you heard the DING! Haha!

I finished this a few days ago, but have to admit it's one of the best stories I've seen in a game. Thoroughly enjoyed it, but won't be keeping it. Once you've seen it, I mean played it, that's it for me. Metal Gear Online isn't strong enough to warrant keeping it either.

Last edited:

What's the replay / online play value like in this game ?

There's always stuff you miss first time round in MGS games, always stuff to find, and bits of the story that you might have missed. But really, it's just that good, that I'd keep playing it over and over.

What's the replay / online play value like in this game ?

* Lots of little hidden gems - i cant say what though - spoilers!
* Lots of hidden items and guns to find
* Restarting the game after completion carries over items/weapons you have.
* Drebin points system were duplicate weapons are automatically sold off for points that you can buy weapons/items/ammo with.
* Metal Gear Online (If that floats your boat)
* Unlocking the extra costumes
* Replaying certain parts to achieve better results (For example you can ignore whats going on around you and run off on your own, or you can help things along and see what happens)

--

For those with the game..

Did everyone remember to stock up on guns/ammo today with the 20% discount!

And on my first play i ignored the rebels but this time im taking my time to help them out in their fights and i loved the assault on act 2 with the machine gun nests and the '***' on the far right that helped a lot.

the online mode is excellent, i am hooked on it

Have played 3 maches my self. First one was good but got cut off in the next 2 cause of connection problems ](*,) Hope it gets better though and I guess my wireless conection sucking at the moment does not help.. Looking forward to when they release original MGS characters for MGO! That will be sweet :TU:

mgo is excellent online. some nice maps and can use drebin points to unlock and customize weapons!

£28.99 on ShopTo now :DD

Do you think automatic weapon balance is a bit ''er...whut?'' for MGO at the moment?

I know this isn't really a run and gun game and the few games i've played, when you get a team who do play in sync with the sneaking and proper ambushes it is a nice game but it's wierd to pop someone in the back tonnes of times with an SMG and they casually turn around and headshot you with an assault rifle, it's not a ''skill'' issue because i went and tried it out myself in the end, just used an AR and went for headshots with it while soaking up other bullets. Just came to who got the headshot first from the bullet spray and no matter what the range i'd always win out against people not using an assault rifle.
It's not like the latency problems you get in COD sometimes either.

I would say make all weapons more deadly in this but work on the accuracy/range and fire-rate to balance them out because at the moment this game seems to be all about headshots.

Sniping and CQC works fine i find but now if they can just tighten up firefights it would make it possible to have fun with this game in many ways.

How bleeding tough is it to get through the first part of the Outer Haven part of the game without being spotted!

OUTERHAVENSHIPBOW.jpg

OUTERHAVENSHIPBOW_1.jpg

OUTERHAVENSHIPBOW_2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Absolutely stunning

21 hrs to complete and yet about 5 of that was only gameplay. i honestly feel that Kojima always just wanted to tell a story and sometime sput you in the shoes of Snake even in all the other metal gears as well. those expecting anything else then story laden cinematic should avoid.

this is best described as a playing through a season one of alias(or any other tv show on dvd for that matter). if you don't care for the story the characters then you won't care for the game. personally I found the game moving in ways way beyond anything I've seen IN a game,even though it really WASN"T a full game at all. more so a final end to the Metal gear saga for Snake and company but more so by way of actuall cinematics/cutscenes which were really really mini episodes.

It was crazy though at first. You'd play like for 20-25 mins and then be in a 30 min cut scene sometimes that IF you skipped you KNOW you would have missed something important once you got to the end of the game. I really thought the mantis stuff by drebin was OVERKILL...

Sorry Jack - I thought everyone here had either given up on the game and hated it or had completed it already.

-
Those pics are from my first attempt on that act - i was doing ok until i ran right out in front of the gecko and shat a brick. Love that we can export our photo's!

Well i went left with the MK.2 - took those out, then backtracked when some frogs came leaping down... went back around the right side... took the 3 in the center and then the 3 on the right out... went down the right side took 2 more out... ran ahead took a guy out up top... 2 on my right 1 on my left then hid behind the boxes on the far right.. went right down to the end - took out the 2 who pop up in the far corner... watched as the artillery fire took one gecko out, the other came over to see what went on... i mk'd the guy who high above me there then when the gecko walked away ran to the door and opened it.

An awesome sneaking level ... reminded me a lot of the ship from MGS2 and the ship from Splinter Cell Double Agent.

Just started on my 3rd play through and im still hooked - i love being able to
help the rebels out and watch what happens when i do - the powerplant assault was great. And with all the extra tools avail from the start
and as i now know the maps better i can have far more fun experimenting getting from A to B.

It will be a long time before i trade this in.

-

Also - new DLC in the extra menu - an extra iPod track and a blue camo - nothing stunning but nice extras.

Last edited:

No spoilers pleaaaase... I have the game still unopened... waiting for my JVC SU-DH1 Dolby Digital Amp to arrive before I play this over headphones :)

I guess it's one of those games which is very atmospheric, so I want to make sure the volume is LOUD without waking the baby!!!

Can;t wait!

Yep, no spoilers at all. There's always going to be people who don't buy games as soon as they come out ;))

Funny you should say that, I'm about to ring GAME, Gamestation, Blockbuster and my local independent store to find out who will give me the most money for Rainbow Six Vegas 2, trading for Battlefield Bad Company... I'll edit this in a minute.

GAME - £14
Gamestation - £10
Blockbuster - £10
Independent - £10 (he will actually give £20, but he charges £50 for BFBC whereas the others all charge £40)

Last edited:

I got it, got it on the thursday of release, didnt play it until the wednesday, as I had a lot of work to do etc.

But when I played it I just couldnt stop, the intro was epic enough for me, started on Big Boss Hard, this is how MGS is supposed to be played, playing on normal or easy doesn'd do it justice, its like playing Halo on beginner and wondering why it tok you like 2 hours to complete... You hardly play the game as its too easy.

Anyway it was outstanding my favourite next gen game easy, possibly the best game ever like some have said, it conveys so much emotion at the right time its just great, the best cutscenes in a game ever, and I am a fan of the gameplay to cutscene style. Its perfect for the story telling, I was so amazed with some of the cutscenes they were just sooooo good, and the like, whole ending was so emotional, seeing how Snake is putting up with the age andeverything. I would have to say he is the best character in a game ever, just because what he has done and how he goes about doing it, he is a true legend of gaming.

I completed it earlier this week, and it was just soo good, the story was great tied up the series perfectly I felt, understood it ll, and rememeber a lot of it. Cannot sell this game, its just too good.

Eventually I will play them ALL in order and have the full MGS feel! Will be amazing, just need to get back MGS3, want subsistence though, play MG and MG2 as well :D

Funny you should say that, I'm about to ring GAME, Gamestation, Blockbuster and my local independent store to find out who will give me the most money for Rainbow Six Vegas 2, trading for Battlefield Bad Company... I'll edit this in a minute.

GAME - £14
Gamestation - £10
Blockbuster - £10
Independent - £10 (he will actually give £20, but he charges £50 for BFBC whereas the others all charge £40)

Why would you bother for 10pound? Rang one of the local gameshops over here to see and they were giving 10 euro for f.e.a.r. and 10e for fifa07. For that amount I'd rather keep them for my collection, which I did.

If you're never going to play them again a tenner is better than them taking up room and gathering dust

Yeah thats true, ended up giving my ps2 with about 20games to one of the neighbours sons as I couldnt get rid of it. Still seems such a shame though for a game that was/is 30/40 pound. Although just saw rainbow2 for 18pound from play, 15 for used so a tenner is really good.

Bought this Wednesday and still havnt openend it, only because ive done like 16% on GTA4 and trying to get further in that, since College is over i can get moving.

I would have to say he is the best character in a game ever, just because what he has done and how he goes about doing it, he is a true legend of gaming.

For me Big Boss is the best character ever. In MGS3 he was just so badass and is the creator of all.

Re: Metal Gear Solid 4 (PS3)

Next MGS will surelly be about Big Boss.

And in case you don't know this isn't the isnt the last metal gear game. This is just the last featuring Solid Snake. (of course we all know that Kojima can always twist the story again).

Back
Top Bottom