Metal Gear Solid 4

Re: Metal Gear Solid 4 (PS3) on 12th June 2008

Just got it, do you have this edition for sale in the UK? Haven't seen it in online stores anywhere...

imagem187gl9.jpg

Thats cool :)

Think I saw someone selling it on ebay for something like £299 !!!

Why do you get the twat from Friday night project with it?

Cant fucking get online with this fucking game. I went back re-did my game id and password and it's fucking locked it now, stupid ficking set up.

Just put MGS1 on for a bit and the graphics are insane. I remember it looking alright but the textures are really badly pixelated !

Had another boss fight today... quite tricky in a 'this is going to take ages' kind of way but finished it off easier with a rocket launcher.

Also had a cut scene or 2 this after noon that went from about 4:50pm until about half 5! It was like one scene ended then another came on, then an install then another cut scene then a short one then mission briefing... phew

As long as they were though im glad i didnt skip because it revealed a lot about the plot of the game and what i was supposed to be aiming for for the rest of the game - also tied up a LOT of loose ends and set the game up to finish off some more.

I can't wait to get back on this tonight.

--

Played online today as well - although i keep having disconnection errors after a few minutes of playing which is pissing me off now.

They've definitely improved this since the beta - it feels less clunky, although aiming and firing at someone is harder than it should be. I love the extra maps as well!

I just wish they'd sort the servers out so i can finish a game.

-

Last point - has everyone remembered you can take out bosses with the tranquilizer gun!

Last edited:

we have to add our friends to the ingame friends list like the beta - mines Radiation if anyone wants to add me, though id like to finish a game without being cut off from konamis shite servers

Finished the game last night what an experience, and for everyone who has played every game in the series theres a real feeling of satisfaction when you finish it. What a game!

30 minutes for a cutscene?

sod that

Finished it.

Epic.

Best game I've ever played.

And Coopz, the cutscenes are so good at immersing you in the experience, that time flies, you never really think about how long they are.

Finished again?! Bloody hell guys, are you guys getting outside?! ;))

Who wants to sell me their copy then? ;))

Best game I've ever played.
Wow. Each to their own and that, but bloody hell, I wouldn't go that far. I just can't help hating the stiffness of the controls after putting CoD4 in for a whirl - I'm not comparing the games, just the player movement.

EDIT: (Disclaimer: The following is all my opinion, I'm very sorry that it's going to go down like a shit sandwich) The storyline is complicated and idiotic, the enemies are Final Fantasy-esqué and look totally out of place, the movement is terribly stiff, the health/ration system is a pain in the arse to put up with, and if I die in the middle of a long chapter and get placed at the start, the PS3 goes off for the night, talk about frustrating. Plus, the online element of the game comes nowhere near competing with CoD, R6V and the established names. I think I might just be the only person in the gaming world who can't stand this game. And yes, I played and completed the previous ones, and loved them - but gaming has moved on, for the better. There's so much wrong with the game that I cannot believe people are glossing over just because "it's MGS". It reminds me of another Japanese game actually, the one and only PES.

Last edited:

just finished it... perfect game for me GOTY

Now if only the online would work without signing me out of PSN

Seems like a must buy, i'll probably pick this up some time next week.:)

Thanks to PBoreham, someone wanted to trade their MGS4 for Lego Indiana, so I agreed :DD

I'll be able to buy Lego Indiana next month for cheaper than I'd have gotten MGS4 I reckon, looking forward to playing after hearing these reviews, though I'm concerned at how many of you are finishing it already.

Were there two 90 min cutscenes?

Edit: The guy pulled out of the trade :censor:

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks to PBoreham, someone wanted to trade their MGS4 for Lego Indiana, so I agreed :DD

I'll be able to buy Lego Indiana next month for cheaper than I'd have gotten MGS4 I reckon, looking forward to playing after hearing these reviews, though I'm concerned at how many of you are finishing it already.

Were there two 90 min cutscenes?

Edit: The guy pulled out of the trade :censor:

Oh no?! Really? Thats not on :(

I saw someone made a cash offer after you and that was out of order as you met the terms offered... Hmmm....

Apparantly he got it today from his son for Fathers Day. Funny as he said he'd exchange details last night but never got around to sending them, and then I got that message this morning :SHAKE:

Nevermind, Indy is good enough anyway :)

I can't think of any 90 minute cut scenes at all - the ending comes to about 45mins maybe less? Im not sure... time flew when i was watching it and you're sucked into the story that much you're not sat thinking 'hurry up and end' ... you just want to know whats going on and how its ending.

So a load of anti MGS/PS3 xbox fanboy bullshit

The game does have LOOOONG cut scenes and at times it will have a 15 min scene followed by another 15 min scene then 2 mins of action then a 15 min cut scene but honestly...HONESTLY.... you don't notice the actual time they take!

-

I tried a few techniques to fix the online on my end and im still having no luck - either ill get a message saying my connection is unstable and im kicked out of the game or ill be signed out of PSN.

Stupid thing is the only advice i'm getting is to use a wired connection instead of wireless (despite me saying im using a wired connection).

In my head im seeing the way Konami have things set up - its just too much shite with being signed into PSN, and being signed into Konami.

Every other game i have doesn't do this so they cant blame me or something im doing either - i played BF bad company after finishing this last night for an hour and i had no problems at all - i gave MGO a quick try before heading to bed and got kicked out or 2 games after a few seconds.

==

Just found this...

find out the IP of your router, type it in to your browser, eg: "http://192.168.0.1 "
then find the "services" or "firewall" section, and allow UDP port 5730 to be opened.

Last edited:

I can't think of any 90 minute cut scenes at all - the ending comes to about 45mins maybe less? Im not sure... time flew when i was watching it and you're sucked into the story that much you're not sat thinking 'hurry up and end' ... you just want to know whats going on and how its ending.

So a load of anti MGS/PS3 xbox fanboy bullshit

The game does have LOOOONG cut scenes and at times it will have a 15 min scene followed by another 15 min scene then 2 mins of action then a 15 min cut scene but honestly...HONESTLY.... you don't notice the actual time they take!

-

I tried a few techniques to fix the online on my end and im still having no luck - either ill get a message saying my connection is unstable and im kicked out of the game or ill be signed out of PSN.

Stupid thing is the only advice i'm getting is to use a wired connection instead of wireless (despite me saying im using a wired connection).

In my head im seeing the way Konami have things set up - its just too much shite with being signed into PSN, and being signed into Konami.

Every other game i have doesn't do this so they cant blame me or something im doing either - i played BF bad company after finishing this last night for an hour and i had no problems at all - i gave MGO a quick try before heading to bed and got kicked out or 2 games after a few seconds.

==

Just found this...

Still battling on - I dont remember a 'boss' fight yet - I *think* I am in Act 2 - just met Naomi (fuck she's hot too!).

Anyway, I played MGO yesterday for a while - no problems.

Wired connection to BT here...

I've read a load of crap about you have to make sure that port number above is open but i have absolutely no idea how in the world to do that - i know how to find my router using the net but once im in there i have no idea what to do so im throwing the towel in - add to that the freaking shit is region locked online and they cant shove it back up their arse holes and ill just wait for battlefield.

Just found more and basically my ONLY solution (as konami have emailed me back telling me the problem is on my end)is to set up a static ip which ive read cant be done with virgin as they us a dynamic ip

And the online isn't even half decent! stuff it

Last edited:

Yea, MGO is quite a let down. Think it could be good with teams of like minded friends, but running around at the speed of treacle trying to hunt down 2 other people in the lobby is boring.

Maybe it will pick up once people start completing the SP mode?

MGS4 sold over 1.3m copies on day one - and as I suspected, DID sell units. PS3 hardware sales went up 180% in the USA on release of MGS4.

The MGS4 bundle sold over 70,000 units - and US retailers said that Sony underestimated demand and could have sold 200,000 units if supply met demand!!

Well done to everyone, such a good game deserves the good sales for Konami and Sony!

Technical question to anyone who can help. I'm getting a visible circle/ring round snake that shouldn't be there as its intermittent. I've got a HDMI connection on a 32" LCD & i'm not sure if its do with that? Anyone else experienced it & i'd appreciate any help.

^^ lol excellent -

made me chuckle

Its the ring for the octo camoflage isnt it>?

My opinions so far =

Reminds me a lot of the good ol metal gears, i love the storyline. And i love the cutscenes so far, it really is like playing through a film.

Although the camera really pisses me off.

Last edited:

Technical question to anyone who can help. I'm getting a visible circle/ring round snake that shouldn't be there as its intermittent. I've got a HDMI connection on a 32" LCD & i'm not sure if its do with that? Anyone else experienced it & i'd appreciate any help.

RTFM springs to mind! :LOL:

The 'ring' is Snake's 'threat indicator' when kneeling or laying. It shows what direction (if any) threats are coming from. The bigger the disturbance in the ring, the closer the threat and if it is red, then the threat is actively looking for Snake.

Its all in the manual buddy...

RTFM springs to mind! :LOL:

The 'ring' is Snake's 'threat indicator' when kneeling or laying. It shows what direction (if any) threats are coming from. The bigger the disturbance in the ring, the closer the threat and if it is red, then the threat is actively looking for Snake.

Its all in the manual buddy...

Thanks! You know what - i looked in the manual last night and saw the ring & felt like a pr*t! I thought it looked weird that all - next time i'll check the manual.

Back
Top Bottom